Google Buys Neural Network Startup; Maybe Google's Version of Skynet Will be Friendly

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 14, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

We think we may have found what Andy Rubin might be working on next...

It looks like Google is working hard to envision a future reality in which Skynet is real and becomes self-aware. Of course, hopefully having learned from the Terminator movies, they will work towards making it a much friendlier Android overlord. Late yesterday a press release was issued which shared that Google purchased a small neural network startup company, with likely plans to make their speech and image recognition that much better.

Of course, Science Fiction has shown us how these things go. Eventually it will evolve and take over the world, but perhaps the folks at Google will be able to instill their sense of openness and peace into it, so it will likely do so by fixing all of our problems for us instead of obliterating us.

All kidding aside, it's actually pretty exciting to get an indirect glimpse at one of Google's likely X Projects. Developing a true neural network could be the next step in disruptive computer technology of future devices. They even have the visionary genius, Ray Kurzweil working with them now. It's thrilling to imagine all the possibilities of what they will be able to create in the future. Here's that press statement,

• Like Like x 1
  2. beckx020

beckx020 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if I want to be excited or afraid. :blink:

3. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +503
    That picture of the Terminator made me laugh out loud. :D

Great work with the visual!

4. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    ^^ Thanks! I was lucky to find it on the web. I was going to do my own and photoshop a terminator with flowers, but when I saw that, it seemed to fit even more. :)

5. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    I actually don't think a conscious or self-aware machine is decades away (or at a minumum one that easily passes the Turing Test and fools anyone into thinking it's human). At the very least, with the combination of Google Glasses and related projects like self-driving cars and sensor-rich homes on the scene, we'll be taking a pretty big step into a new chapter of human-computer interaction before 2020 gets here. There are so many other related lines of work that are advancing quickly...caretaker robots...unmanned vehicles...neural prostheses...voice and face recognition...it was a joke 20 years ago that a machine could "do everything a human can do" but it won't be even remotely funny in the next 20. I think it will be pretty damn reasonable and Google is positioning themselves perfectly for it.

-Matt