Google buys more than 1,000 patents from IBM to defend Android

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

[h=2]Google buys more than 1,000 patents from IBM to defend Android[/h]

If you thought Motorola’s 17,000 patents were enough to satisfy Google, think again. The Mountain View company just acquired a whopping 1,023 patents from IBM. And unlike July’s patent purchase, this batch seems to be almost exclusively all about Android.
As you might remember, Google acquired 1,030 patents from IBM back in July. As we told you then, most of those patents had nothing to do with Android. However, this time around Google went straight for the cookie jar. SEO by the Sea has put together a list of some the patents, which include:

• Coordination Of Cellular Telephones In A Residential Area To Obviate Need For Wired Residential Service
  • Method And System For Efficient And Reliable Mac-Layer Multicast Wireless Transmissions
  • System And Method Of Making Location Updating Management On A Mobile Station, Mobile Station And Mobile Network
  • Telephone Information Service System
Yep, that all sounds like mobile talk to me. More interestingly, Google also acquired a bunch of patents related to Java:

• Achieving Application-Specific Document Content By Transcoding Using Java Server Pages
  • Mapping Enterprise Java Bean Attributes To Database Schema
  • Determining Browser Type In An Open Java Environment
  • Method And Apparatus For High-Concurrency Client Locking With Java In A Data Processing System
  • Method Of Downloading Java Bean Files In A Network
  • Scripting Language Blocks To Support Multiple Scripting Languages In A Single Web Page
I wonder what those are for.
There’s no doubt in anyone’s mind that Google is getting ready for a massive patent war. How massive? Well, massive enough that the company feels the need to spend more than a dozen billion dollars on it. That’s no chump change, even for Google.
When you add up all of these recent patent acquisition, Google now has more than 20,000 patents in its pockets. And I’m sure that number will keep growing for the foreseeable future. InterDigital’s 8,800 patent portfolio, for example, would be a great addition to Google’s patent war chest.
After watching Google buy these many patents in such a short amount of time, one has to wonder how far the company is willing to go. Will they get to 40,000 patents? What about 60,000? This is Google after all, once they set out to do something they do it big.

Via: Bloomberg

Source: Bloomberg/twitter/talk android

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Looks like hopefully one day we will be able to get rid of those dreaded telephone lines and convert everything wireless one of these days. Java looks to be a certain thing of the future and what few bugs are left in java should be worked out as well. The ability to track phones looks like it is going to be enhanced. Also Mac devices look to be updated correct me if i read that part wrong. Also Android looks like it will certainly be around for the coming years. Someone correct this info if it is wrong

TimmahD2

Reaction score
Interesting. Just how many patents are left available for consumption now?

Primevyl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Yin
Intellectual property is one of top 3 investments everyone should own. Bravo El Goog

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App