1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Google Breaking Even on Nexus 7 Tablet in the Google Play Store; Sold for $0 Profit

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jun 28, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

According to statements from Android head Andy Rubin, the Google Nexus 7 tablet will not be making any money on the sale of the hardware. Apparently, the sell through price on the Google Play Store is a break even amount with $0 in actual profit. Rubin said, “When it gets sold through the Play store, there’s no margin, it just basically gets [sold] through.” In fact, in the interview he made it clear that Google is absorbing all of the costs of the device, and that it could end up being a net loss per unit for the hardware. Google's whole goal is to build an ecosystem of content to eventually rival Amazon. They intend to make money by promoting content sales through the Google Play marketplace. They have even added magazines, books and TV shows to their lineup of movies, music and more.

Source: NexusTablets.net via BGR
  2. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Will this be only through the Play Store?
  3. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I was wondering if Google was going to take in amazon..... interesting. :D

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!
  4. nikecar

nikecar New Member

i saw a quote from Google saying later it will be via retail locations. But for now its the Play store
  5. acousticshade

acousticshade New Member

I have to stand up and applaude Google here. While true that this is a marketing ploy to get market share away from Amazon, it's also a huge bone that they are throwing to consumers. Based on the other forum links above, this tablet seriously outperforms anything in it's price range which really makes it a lot more future proof + its Nexus + its got NFC.

Thanks Google, glad to do business with you.
  6. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

I totally buy the "$0 profit" argument. Well, sort of.

- $199 8GB Nexus 7 profit = $0

ah, but

- $249 16GB Nexus 7 profit = $48

I guess the claim is at least half-true!

-Matt

DISCLAIMER: Yeah I totally made up the cost of the extra 8GB...but we KNOW it's << $49.
Search tags for this page

break+nexus 7

how to sell my nexxus 7

nexus 7 break