Google backdoor into all android phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdow

Reaction score
Tearlach,

I understand your thinking on this, and i'm sure this thread has shown you the
magnitude of the problem we are faced with... It's certainly not just google that's
a problem. I read one reference that addressed your question which mentioned
writing your own code - this would probably be the only fix for this ONE issue.
There are many other security/privacy issues-which, perhaps not surprisingly,
not many people care about or can address. for whatever reason. even if you
went pay as you go, the utility would be severely limited. Even if you had a
different phone for each task you still would be behind the power curve....
anyway, thank you for staying on point, and if i may say so, try to look at
your phone as a pet monster, which knows no loyalty to you, anyone or anything...

r, john

OP
T

tearlach2

Reaction score
Hello people, one other thing. I watch Mad Men on AMC, so I think I understand how advertising companies are run. And google is like definitely the worlds greatest for-profit advertising company. They make lots of products, but their base product is getting adwords GDN, doubleclick onto damn near everything, and getting companies to use adsense. This is how they orient their business I'm not just making this up go read about google. Being a for-profit business means, to me, that they care about money, not my security or privacy, security and privacy are concepts they can sell, and being a wonderfully powerful advertising company that also has the worlds most powerful search and now running what in america is the largest installed smart phone base leads me to wonder about security and privacy and especially the phrase conflicting interests. I believe they have the ability to shape what security and privacy mean and that is a frightful thing. I remember hearing Eric Schmidt say in a news conference a year or so ago before he got sacked this little quote “If you have something that you don’t want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn’t be doing it in the first place.” Indeed Mr Schmidt, Indeed. Thank you. But I don't live in that world, I live in a world which up until very recently respected privacy. Privacy is a backbone of capitalism Mr Schmidt, otherwise there would be perfect information and the market would crash econ101. Maybe the internet is changing things about privacy. Maybe we we will all be the borg or like GITS in the near future.
Now I'm not saying Google workers are sitting back drinking good gin and slapping their secretaries asses while making up derogatory terms for cheap Scotsmen like me while they read my boring life on my phone without my knowledge and delete apps I sideload just to spite me, but as somebody proposed I was a pirate on here without knowing anything perhaps they very well are, Unfortunately the only people who know if I'm a pirate are me and Google and Verizon, maybe godaddy, and maybe the owners of torrent sites if I so frequented those type of lowly establishments. And the only ones who know if Google is being good is, well, Google. An advertising company.

J

Johnly

So when the news of bad apps on the market came up last week I really didn't care, things like this were bound to happen and I support a free and open marketplace, buyer beware, old school libertarian and all.
What DID bother me was learning that Google has access to delete apps on MY phone with or without my knowledge. This means they have total access to my phone doesn't it? I don't think that was obvious to many people and came as a shock to me. I though of it as my phone that I owned, my software on my hardware device. I don't like that google can get in my phone at any time. Does anyone know how to disable or ideas on how to disable this "undocumented feature"? I want to close the backdoor on my phone NOW.
Sorry you are educated so late. Yes, google saves everything you do...FOREVER. Just like APPLE. BB. MICRO. YAHOO. AOL. Read your terms before checking blindly next time. Welcome to the digital age.

luigi90210

Reaction score
So when the news of bad apps on the market came up last week I really didn't care, things like this were bound to happen and I support a free and open marketplace, buyer beware, old school libertarian and all.
What DID bother me was learning that Google has access to delete apps on MY phone with or without my knowledge. This means they have total access to my phone doesn't it? I don't think that was obvious to many people and came as a shock to me. I though of it as my phone that I owned, my software on my hardware device. I don't like that google can get in my phone at any time. Does anyone know how to disable or ideas on how to disable this "undocumented feature"? I want to close the backdoor on my phone NOW.
well for starters the feature isnt undocumented, it is stated in clear black and white that google has the ability to do this in the TOS you agreed to when you set up your phone(yes that means that one screen you just click agree to continue the setup)
Google retains this feature in case of incidents like the most recent one so people can have their data safe guarded from trojans and other viruses
now if you want to keep these viruses you should remove gapps from your phone and use a 3rd part market instead(you know the one that pirates use)
imo your complaining way to much over a safety feature that has very little effect on anyone really
and if you think other companies dont do this you are wrong, Microsoft does this, who ever makes meego does this, heck even apple does this.
just remember you dont own the software(open sourced or not) you own a license to use the software

Sorry you are educated so late. Yes, google saves everything you do...FOREVER. Just like APPLE. BB. MICRO. YAHOO. AOL. Read your terms before checking blindly next time. Welcome to the digital age.

THANK YOU!!!!!!
if i could give you rep i would

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok since people keep bringing up this oscar meyer post, to actually compare it to google would be, "hey we sold you these hotdogs (apps), and theyre bad (maleware), luckily you agreed to let us check your moms health remotely (see if you have the app) since she may have eaten one, good thing we asked you to sign this contract...oh man, she ingested the bad hotdog, lets go in there and not only make sure shes ok, but bring doctors to give her whatever care is necessary to completely fix the issue before it gets worse and she gets hurt. Again, we at oscar meyer are sure glad you signed that agreement with us, and I bet you are too ;).

Happy ending for all. Yes I would be ok with this scenario since it can now be compared equally to what happened with google.

Only in the above case, people aren't saying "screw you oscar meyer, you should have left my mom alone, or let me perform all of the medical procedures, even though I have no clue what im doing, but I'm sure it would have worked out ok" :icon_ banana:

Not quite. Here's the actual scenario:

"Hey we sold you these hotdogs, and on the packaging it says we have the right to go into your house and remove the hotdogs if they cause you harm. They are causing you harm, therefore we are going into your house without notifying you and removing them. You agreed to this when you bought the hotdogs"

Now, as I mentioned, they have the right to do this, because the packaging says so. However, again, that doesn't mean you have to say "Google is awesome, everything they do is right!"....the OP was worried about privacy, and this is clearly an invasion of privacy (although you gave Google the right to invade your privacy). The OP doesn't have to think this is the best thing since sliced bread if he doesn't want to. You have to obey the laws, doesn't mean you have to agree with them.

I still stand by my statement that those who were saying he shouldn't have a smartphone because he's concerned about his privacy are being a little "android sheep-ish."

pyro6128

Reaction score
ok since people keep bringing up this oscar meyer post, to actually compare it to google would be, "hey we sold you these hotdogs (apps), and theyre bad (maleware), luckily you agreed to let us check your moms health remotely (see if you have the app) since she may have eaten one, good thing we asked you to sign this contract...oh man, she ingested the bad hotdog, lets go in there and not only make sure shes ok, but bring doctors to give her whatever care is necessary to completely fix the issue before it gets worse and she gets hurt. Again, we at oscar meyer are sure glad you signed that agreement with us, and I bet you are too ;).

Happy ending for all. Yes I would be ok with this scenario since it can now be compared equally to what happened with google.

Only in the above case, people aren't saying "screw you oscar meyer, you should have left my mom alone, or let me perform all of the medical procedures, even though I have no clue what im doing, but I'm sure it would have worked out ok" :icon_ banana:

"Hey we sold you these hotdogs, and on the packaging it says we have the right to go into your house and remove the hotdogs if they cause you harm. They are causing you harm, therefore we are going into your house without notifying you and removing them. You agreed to this when you bought the hotdogs"

Now, as I mentioned, they have the right to do this, because the packaging says so. However, again, that doesn't mean you have to say "Google is awesome, everything they do is right!"....the OP was worried about privacy, and this is clearly an invasion of privacy (although you gave Google the right to invade your privacy). The OP doesn't have to think this is the best thing since sliced bread if he doesn't want to. You have to obey the laws, doesn't mean you have to agree with them.

I still stand by my statement that those who were saying he shouldn't have a smartphone because he's concerned about his privacy are being a little "android sheep-ish."

No one said everything google does is right. They just happen to be right in this situation. If google developes some massive vendetta against its customers and decides to mess with ther phones remotely and maliciously, then google will be wrong, and the fears of those who are worried in this thread would have been realized. Until that day, I thank google for their added security

J

Johnly

well for starters the feature isnt undocumented, it is stated in clear black and white that google has the ability to do this in the TOS you agreed to when you set up your phone(yes that means that one screen you just click agree to continue the setup)
Google retains this feature in case of incidents like the most recent one so people can have their data safe guarded from trojans and other viruses
now if you want to keep these viruses you should remove gapps from your phone and use a 3rd part market instead(you know the one that pirates use)
imo your complaining way to much over a safety feature that has very little effect on anyone really
and if you think other companies dont do this you are wrong, Microsoft does this, who ever makes meego does this, heck even apple does this.
just remember you dont own the software(open sourced or not) you own a license to use the software

THANK YOU!!!!!!
if i could give you rep i would
Thanks, I would rep you. Nothing complicated about it. Elementary really.

WallyIAm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Enough with the Oscar Meyer analogy. You're making me hungry. ;)

Sent from my Droid

luigi90210

Reaction score

just cause oscar meyer(google) holds the right to take hotdogs(apps) from you without you knowing doesnt mean they will do it everyday when ever they feel like

heck even apple(back on technology) has banned apps from their app store and they dont even remove the banned apps from your iphone if you got them while on the app store so if apple wont do that im about 99% sure google wont

saying google is wrong for doing this is like saying its wrong for cell phone companies to keep logs of your text messages in case your parents want them or something like that, and if the op is really scared about his privacy being invaded than he should stop using technology all together and he should just live off the net where he can keep everything he wants to himself
now i can see how that response is kind of android sheep-ish but it is the truth, if your that paranoid than you shouldnt even be using technology

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

just cause oscar meyer(google) holds the right to take hotdogs(apps) from you without you knowing doesnt mean they will do it everyday when ever they feel like

heck even apple(back on technology) has banned apps from their app store and they dont even remove the banned apps from your iphone if you got them while on the app store so if apple wont do that im about 99% sure google wont

saying google is wrong for doing this is like saying its wrong for cell phone companies to keep logs of your text messages in case your parents want them or something like that, and if the op is really scared about his privacy being invaded than he should stop using technology all together and he should just live off the net where he can keep everything he wants to himself
now i can see how that response is kind of android sheep-ish but it is the truth, if your that paranoid than you shouldnt even be using technology

No one is saying google is wrong, and that's what makes your response android sheepish. Because you're not responding to what's being said, rather you're saying "They're right!!!!" and "you shouldn't be using a phone!!!"...speak to what the OP is saying rather then defending Google like they're going to give you money for talking them up or something. He was asking a simple question about whether there's a way to block them. The first reply itself said "to correct your ignorance" and then the mass hysteria took over and everyone just started attacking him like little children.

Further, no one is saying oscar meyer is going to do it whenever they please. Read. Fully. And then respond. Stop being so passionate about something when you're not reading the whole post.

Status
Not open for further replies.