Google backdoor into all android phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
T

tearlach2

Reaction score
Hmm, I understand how this works now I think. Thanks everyone for the help with my issue I realize I was wrong in assuming or wanting any level of privacy with google. <=This sounds snide but I actually mean this.

I am going to try and figure it out on my own so if you see me asking other bizarre questions in other more technical threads please don't bash on my purpose. I will refrain from naming google suspect I see that got people's danders up and reminds me of apple... now what do we call them again? I'm honestly after this cause I'm kindof like a privacy nazi, and no, I don't trust google apple ms, or democracy even. (ok the last one I kindof trust ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
You people crack me up. In good and bad ways! This thread really is a lot of win.

Skull One

Reaction score
Hmm, I understand how this works now I think. Thanks everyone for the help with my issue I realize I was wrong in assuming or wanting any level privacy with google. <=This sounds snide but I actually mean this.

You can have all the privacy you want. You just have to quit using a smart phone.

Bobby Sweethearts

Reaction score
Really?

You will not be able to disable this as it is buried in the core of the system, the only way to disable this is to disable all data, and use your noggin, Google uses cloud services to sync your phone and all data and information, does it really surrprise you that Goggle has this power? Apple has done this a couple of times with certain apps. It's there code so obviously if they can push something to your phone in the first place then they would be able to " remotely" remove an app that violated not only there TOS but federal law! Yes, Google has the power to virtually rule you in every way, shape, and form. Just remember there key principal " DO NO EVIL!"

SkullOne

Reaction score
This is where I have a question. Why do you "side load" everything? Since the Droid X is sold for use on the Verizon Wireless network, it comes pre-installed with the market app. This should have every app ever published to the Google market place. Now it does filter it for your version of Android and your devices capabilities. But that shouldn't be a major issue.

Now there is an assumption I can make. You are pirating applications that are for sale on the Google Market. This practice would then justify your concern of Google's ability to remove apps from your phone that you have installed. Because basically they could remove everything you have stolen if you are in fact pirating the software applications.

If this scenario is the case. Your arguments just lost all value for a logical discussion.

So the two Skull One's think alike. :icon_eek:

When I started reading this thread as soon as he said he side-loaded my first thought was "That would be so irritating to download every app I have installed and manually installing them through a file manager every time I loaded a new ROM". Then the red flag went off.

There's zero reason to side-load "everything" unless you are pirating. Side-loading prevents you from getting updates. It prevents you from easily moving from ROM to ROM especially if you're changing versions of Android (2.2.1 to 2.3.3).

While we will never know the truth something tells me Skull One (the original one ;) ) hit the nail squarely on the head and drove it into the 2x4 on the first hit. Here's a dancing banana for you sir for such a great post! :icon_ banana:

I also could care less about Google, Apple, and MS having the ability to do this. They don't and will never use it maliciously as it would be business suicide for them.

Reaction score
Hmm, I understand how this works now I think. Thanks everyone for the help with my issue I realize I was wrong in assuming or wanting any level privacy with google. <=This sounds snide but I actually mean this.

This is exactly, 100% correct. No, I am not being sarcastic.

Pupalei

Reaction score
I'd like to commend the original poster. He felt a natural, human sense of violation when he realized he had less contol of his phone that he had thought.

Although a few responses aimed to be explainy and helpful, the majority felt the need to jeer, feigning shock that someone hadn't read or fully understood a license agreement.

Throughout, the OP'er refrained from defensiveness and sought instead to filter for and understand the relevant info. Good show.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
T

tearlach2

Reaction score
To be honest my very first comment started with "are you high" but I thought better of myself and deleted it. Should have read what flavor is the kool-aid. Ps I don't drink anyones koolaid except mine when I make it and it is always grape.

Last edited:

Haloman800

Reaction score
I'm with OP.

The fact that Google has access to all my info is scary, but nearly unavoidable on the internet, but when they can access it whenever they please for whatever reason they see fit is way too invasive of my privacy.

Sent from my DROID

turdbogls

Reaction score
i dont get it....they are not going in there and deleting apps you want anyway, so why even bother.

when Z4 root and oneclick Root were in the market, google took them off the market, but they didn't go in and delete every app that was downloaded.

plus, if i am reading this correctly, they identified the apps that were malicious, they released an app that would clean these apps out of your phone for your. you dont HAVE to download this app, it is optional , but why wouldn't you.

i just dont get it. and yes, you own the hardware, but not the software.

turdbogls

Reaction score
I'm with OP.

The fact that Google has access to all my info is scary, but nearly unavoidable on the internet, but when they can access it whenever they please for whatever reason they see fit is way too invasive of my privacy.

Sent from my DROID

i get the whole privacy thing...really, i do. but that is what you get for being connected all the time. what info do they have that would use against you anyway? i use google services ALL the time. i have never been hacked, i have not been spammed, i dont have malicious apps on my phone...nothing. i am completely OK with Google getting into my phone if they feel they need to.

the only thing i would not like, is if they delete Root, and my ROM and all my settings without me OKing it....but that will probably never happen.

what do you people have to hide? :)

Reaction score
i dont get it....they are not going in there and deleting apps you want anyway, so why even bother.

when Z4 root and oneclick Root were in the market, google took them off the market, but they didn't go in and delete every app that was downloaded.

plus, if i am reading this correctly, they identified the apps that were malicious, they released an app that would clean these apps out of your phone for your. you dont HAVE to download this app, it is optional , but why wouldn't you.

i just dont get it. and yes, you own the hardware, but not the software.

No, Google flipped the kill switch and wiped out the affected apps entirely from every connected Android device on the internet. There was no action required by the user.

And to the OP: I love grape!!

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First I totally agree with Skull 110%, but I can understand where OP was coming from. Personally I could care less if some random disgruntle Google employee decided to go snoop around on my phone. he might think it was funny seeing all the spam I get thinking that I need to buy some prescriptions from another country, or *coughenhancementcough* products! But like I said I can understand where he is coming from. Now I am pretty sure that no one at Google is sorting though my emails and such, but in a way it is a little scary knowing that they have access to just about everyone I know (from my contacts), and passwords to any site I go to. But what are the chances on something happening? Slim to none! I do like the fact that if someone comes around, and makes the next big thing app wise that everyone wants only to find out that the app had an alternator motive so Google is able to get rid of the app before it really caused me to be in a wold of hurt.

That is just my 2 cents worth. Your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.