Google backdoor into all android phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tearlach2

Reaction score
So when the news of bad apps on the market came up last week I really didn't care, things like this were bound to happen and I support a free and open marketplace, buyer beware, old school libertarian and all.
What DID bother me was learning that Google has access to delete apps on MY phone with or without my knowledge. This means they have total access to my phone doesn't it? I don't think that was obvious to many people and came as a shock to me. I though of it as my phone that I owned, my software on my hardware device. I don't like that google can get in my phone at any time. Does anyone know how to disable or ideas on how to disable this "undocumented feature"? I want to close the backdoor on my phone NOW.

Skull One

Reaction score
To correct your ignorance, please read all of the licenses, terms of of service and terms of agreements that came with your phone. This will help you understand your rights and as well as the rights of the companies that created the software you are using for free.

As you stated, you only bought the physical phone and as such you may do with the physical device as you see fit, but the software isn't owned by you. Which means at best you can only recompile the AOSP source code and that does not contain the feature you want disabled. That feature is buried in the Google proprietary apps.

BTW you should be grateful that Google thought ahead and was ready for these types of trojans. Otherwise the market place would become useless in less than six months.

OP
T

tearlach2

Reaction score
To correct your ignorance, please read all of the licenses, terms of of service and terms of agreements that came with your phone. This will help you understand your rights and as well as the rights of the companies that created the software you are using for free.

As you stated, you only bought the physical phone and as such you may do with the physical device as you see fit, but the software isn't owned by you. Which means at best you can only recompile the AOSP source code and that does not contain the feature you want disabled. That feature is buried in the Google proprietary apps.

BTW you should be grateful that Google thought ahead and was ready for these types of trojans. Otherwise the market place would become useless in less than six months.
I'm not trying to be a jerk but why in the world would you give ANYONE that level of access to your phone? Or will you just defend Google to any length as you just did? I'm sorry but the idea that google can come into my phone without my knowledge makes me really upset. No it wasn't explained to me, I'm damned well sure many others didn't understand that google had carte blanche into my or their phones. I'm mad that other people are defending what I feel is indefensible.

Last edited:

pyro6128

Reaction score

Great response, pretty much nailed it

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I totally agree with Skull. You should be happy that they planned ahead. If you don't want them to have that kind of access you'd pretty much have to cut off all data.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jaker

Reaction score
Is it the marketplace app that can remove the apps? Or is it buried in the OS? If it is the marketplace can it be uninstalled? Then just get your apps off untrusted sources. Though I wouldnt recommend it.

I dont agree that they should be able to remove apps that they deem unacceptable whenever they want. The day that MS decides to remove apps from my desktop is the day I... well, I dont know. You'd still be stuck with a crappy situation and no recourse.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

doomer4life

Reaction score
Well google does have the ability same as apple who is last I knew also trying to setup to where they can disable your entire phone remotely and I would also not be surprised if MS has that capability on windows phones.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
T

tearlach2

Reaction score
Great response, pretty much nailed it
I see you have liberty rom, so do I. What are the words written below the Liberty logo as your sig tag? Before you come in here metoo'ing how many proprietary google apps have you deleted or had modified in the course of theming a rom or installing a rom for that matter. And then you defend another poster's saying I should accept that google knows whats best for me, in saying I should read google's TOS? Please, I love my android phone, but you guys who obviously like your android phones too are saying you understood google had a backdoor they can use at anytime? I mean really, isn't this the first kind of thing you would try and disable?
And trying to lump in dumb and dumber by saying apple and ms do it doesn't make it right. That a logical fallacy people have learned in grade school.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
What, do you not use gmail? Or that search they call google?

I find it somewhat astonishing that, given the OP's outrage and shock over this, he/she is using Google services to begin with.

OP
T

tearlach2

Reaction score
What, do you not use gmail? Or that search they call google?

I find it somewhat astonishing that, given the OP's outrage and shock over this, he/she is using Google services to begin with.

Why would you try and obscure the issue, or are you really unable to see the difference between remote system level access and a gmail account?

And my goal is not to bash on google except and unless that will make a little outrage and get this practice stopped, I'm honestly just interested in disabling this. I really do love having my android phone.

Last edited:

doomer4life

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't believe you wil be able to as far as my knowledge goes

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why would you try and obscure the issue, or are you really unable to see the difference between remote system level access and a gmail account?

What's there to obscure? Do you not realize that pretty much your most sensitive data is already accessible with gmail? google voice? google search?

As soon as you access the internet, you're leaving all kinds of footprints and many 3rd parties are getting info on you. Google accessing my device is the least of my concerns (actually really doesn't concern me at all). I just find this entire argument somewhat puzzling.

And where were you 6 months or so ago the last time this happened? So, to answer your question, YES I was aware they could do this because they've done it before.

OP
T

tearlach2

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't believe you wil be able to as far as my knowledge goes

Would you happen to know if it is based on the market app? I pretty much side load everything I use. Would you have any advice on what attributes the package would be using while looking at all the packages in package manager? Possibly the RemoveAssetReciever attribute?

And where were you 6 months or so ago the last time this happened? So, to answer your question, YES I was aware they could do this because they've done it before.
I didn't have the droidx when the guy made the two test programs, I only read about that earlier today on tomshardware. And really, I'd like full disclosure about what exactly they can see, and delete without my knowledge.

Last edited:

doomer4life

Reaction score
If it is possible to remove googles backdoor as you put it then I believe you would cripple your device I do not believe it uses just the marketplace for I believe one of those 21 malicious apps was one that would remove its tie to marketplace so the user was umaware of it and google was able to notice it as well, this is all speculation on my party of the crippling of your device

pyro6128

Reaction score
As someone else said, we already knew google could do this since they did it before. Considering also the back and forth sync that constantly goes on between our phones and google, it seems kind of ridiculous to think that google would not have any sort of control over that. And to echo another point, we trust google with all of our sensitive information, so I don't see this as anything ridiculous. Frankly, I love the fact that google stepped in, manned up, and not only wiped out the dangerous apps, but theyre pushing an update to remove any code that may be left behind and repair what damage may be done. Google needs to keep some last line of defense to ensure the safety of its users, and clearly it works well. Is it possible that google is going to one day flip out and decide to turn into skynet and try and destroy your life, maybe. But i honestly think its pointless to go crying over what if scenarios until we have a reason to. When google takes a turn in a bad direction and starts using brute force to control our phones and how we use them, then it will be an issue and people will react accordingly. Until then, be thankful google is looking out for you and was able to take action so quickly.

And in reference to the Liberty comment you made. There is a reason we have laws. If everyone could be trusted to do the right thing we would all just be hanging out and enjoying ourselves. But there are jerks in this world, so someone has to protect others from those that would do harm. We follow the rules, but some jerks decided they wanted to create dangerous apps. Couldn't be trusted, google stepped in to enforce, now everything is fine again and I'm loving the freedom I am still able to enjoy on my phone without the worry of some jerk trying to send a malware app to it.

edit: If you want to stop googles influence on your phone, put it in airplane mode

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.