Google Assistant Making It's Way To More Nougat and Marshmallow Devices!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1e8086b09892b5a1652fbed1f19c12bf.jpg

84ae5d3530478f9339cad66aa7db8b91.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I just got it. Hate it. How do you send screenshots now? Google now was so easy. Hold home.button, click share.

Just asked her to take a screenshot....Wait that failed.

0877e121e85b1cf36fda18a49556fec8.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
On my Pixel, I hold the home button to launch the assistant & then scroll down to find the option.
2ba1e6cc269cfc16aa4753a60d8d0028.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
On my Pixel, I hold the home button to launch the assistant & then scroll down to find the option.
2ba1e6cc269cfc16aa4753a60d8d0028.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL
Look up your weather, how do you share the results? Clicking home button just has her asking what she can do for me today. I have a suggestion for her but she won't like it.

Manual screenshot. No option to share.
956b3a44746ffcda100dbbc7dd548cbd.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Look up your weather, how do you share the results? Clicking home button just has her asking what she can do for me today. I have a suggestion for her but she won't like it.

Manual screenshot. No option to share.
956b3a44746ffcda100dbbc7dd548cbd.jpg
Oh. Didn't realize you were trying to share a screenshot of the assistant. Manually is the only way I've figured out to do that.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Could you screenshot within GN without doing it the manual way? I can't remember now...
I tried last night, and no it didn't work. But Google Now On Tap was an easy way to share a screenshot. I'm baffled why Assistant is not a merge of GNOT and the Google app. That would have made sense to me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Couldn't remember. It's been so long.

Another one of those weird things coming from this being an update to the app, but a seemingly rebuilt version lacking "basic" features.

Sent from my Pixel XL

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Couldn't remember. It's been so long.

Another one of those weird things coming from this being an update to the app, but a seemingly rebuilt version lacking "basic" features.

Sent from my Pixel XL
I feel love Google devs after like,

Well, we wrote this code a few years ago, and it's perfectly good code, I'm willing to bet I could do the same thing with less code.

Coworker heard this

I bet you can't.

So the first programmer starts doing this and can't finish before release.

Oops, gotta release, don't care if you aren't done, push the ota... What? There's features missing? Push it anyway no one will notice, and if they do we'll just make up an excuse.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Got assistant on my G5 and it's making me very angry. I can no longer use OK Google to play music from my Play Music library. It always just searches and plays the command as a song from the radio portion of the app. Even if I specify "Play the album ___", it looks up the album name as a song. I can even say "Play songname from library" and it ignores the "from library" portion.

Anyone else run into this? It has completely ruined my commute and hands-free driving.

Not sure if this is a bug or a very dumb decision.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Got assistant on my G5 and it's making me very angry. I can no longer use OK Google to play music from my Play Music library. It always just searches and plays the command as a song from the radio portion of the app. Even if I specify "Play the album ___", it looks up the album name as a song. I can even say "Play songname from library" and it ignores the "from library" portion.

Anyone else run into this? It has completely ruined my commute and hands-free driving.

Not sure if this is a bug or a very dumb decision.
I just tested this and it seems to work the way you're saying it does. I have to admit, I usually just tell my phone to "play some music" and go with the random playlist it gives me, or try again a time or two and take that one.

Generally, when I want to listen to just a specific album (rarely, though it has happened on occasion when a band I like has a new one), I pull it up manually.

I did have it shuffle songs by an artist when I told it to play "band name album" for a self-titled album, so it was close, but it was pulling from multiple albums instead of just the self-titled one.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I just tested this and it seems to work the way you're saying it does. I have to admit, I usually just tell my phone to "play some music" and go with the random playlist it gives me, or try again a time or two and take that one.

Generally, when I want to listen to just a specific album (rarely, though it has happened on occasion when a band I like has a new one), I pull it up manually.

I did have it shuffle songs by an artist when I told it to play "band name album" for a self-titled album, so it was close, but it was pulling from multiple albums instead of just the self-titled one.
I just tested this out and 9/10 it played the proper album. Play <band name> <album name>

I tried all over the board, Linkin Park reanimation worked, fun some nights didn't. Acdc back in black didn't, but acd black ice did, queen greatest hits worked. Aerosmith worked, hell even saying play evanescence evanescence worked which was surprising. Oh and imagine dragons first album as well. Im gonna keep trying things and put together a list to post here.

I'm not sure what they changed that broke it on yours but try some other albums or some of these and see if you get the same results.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I just tested this out and 9/10 it played the proper album. Play <band name> <album name>

I tried all over the board, Linkin Park reanimation worked, fun some nights didn't. Acdc back in black didn't, but acd black ice did, queen greatest hits worked. Aerosmith worked, hell even saying play evanescence evanescence worked which was surprising. Oh and imagine dragons first album as well. Im gonna keep trying things and put together a list to post here.

I'm not sure what they changed that broke it on yours but try some other albums or some of these and see if you get the same results.

It seems like it only works if the album exists in the Play Store. Insane. What a waste of a great feature. I might as well just get Spotify because I can't just scroll through my albums while driving and I don't always know song names off the top of my head.

Google is literally making me consider paying for a third party music provider, instead of them, just to use a voice command feature properly. Great way to ensure you don't get new customers.