Google Assistant Has Been Ported To The Nexus 6P

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Pixel has been overwhelmingly underwhelming. This sentiment is widespread through the Android Power user community. The main complaints are with the price point and the fact that at the higher price point the Pixel and Pixel XL are missing many of the features that flagship devices in the same price range have. The main reasons you would want to buy the Pixel and Pixel XL revolve around the software experience.

The Pixel lineup will be the first to receive Android updates with the Nexus lineup being updated afterwards with less priority. The Pixel lineup will also launch with Google's all new Google Assistant. The Google assistant is meant to help you in your daily routine. Now you can have this on your Nexus 6P as it has already been ported over to the device. To install simply flash the zip in the custom recovery of your choice. Head to the link below for downloads and instructions.

via XDA

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Might be tempted to root again just to try.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I haven't rooted a device in years, but I'm also tempted to give this a whirl. Don't think I have ADB setup on my newer computer yet though, so it may not happen for a while. Been having busy weeks lately.

Reaction score
Heh, I wonder if doing this build.prop tweak gives you the free original photo storage in photos as well.

Reaction score
My 6P only gets free 'High Quality' storage and not unlimited 'Original' storage. I looked around and some people were saying that Google ended that on the 6P. Is this something that's coming back to the phone upon release of the Pixel?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
My 6P only gets free 'High Quality' storage and not unlimited 'Original' storage. I looked around and some people were saying that Google ended that on the 6P. Is this something that's coming back to the phone upon release of the Pixel?
Google Photos v1.21 Prepares To Give Free Unlimited Original Quality Backup To Nexus Devices, Sorting Options For Albums, And Add Exposure And Contrast Controls [APK Teardown]

Looks like it was just an apk tear down rumor. Well that sucks.

Does the Nexus line still get unlimited 'Original' storage space in Google Photos?

Reaction score
Oh weird. When I was on MM I could have sworn that in Photo's settings it had the 'High Quality' choice set instead of 'Original'. I wonder if Nougat put some change in there as well? I'm checking it now and there's no choice in it anymore so I guess I'm on Original

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
There's still an option between High Quality and Original in Photos on Nougat. I was just in there the other day on my 6P.

Edit:
2d5145e760e479be16cabe16c6cc8b8f.jpg

Reaction score
No clue what flips the switch and if I have the unlimited original now. It's in this part of the settings right? Not there now and I have the newest Photos installed.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Tap on backup & sync in the settings menu. Then there's an option for upload size.

I've removed your screen shot because it has your personal email address on it.

Reaction score
Ah man, I totally missed that!! Thanks for removing the image and yes, the option is still there where you said.

So the question now is what the hell happened?

In doing some research on this at an earlier time it seems that the 6P had that unlimited option, but then Google took it away. FYI to Mustang02. Let us know if it's different on your phone.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm on the unlimited option and I'm not losing space on my drive.

Reaction score
Yes but unlimited 'High Quality' or unlimited 'Original' quality?

I'm under the impression that all phones of all makes can get unlimited 'High Quality' storage and that Google puts some voodoo compression on it that barely affects the quality, but 'Original' stays untouched.

So what I'm getting at is that the new Pixel phone is supposed to have unlimited 'Original' storage and that our phones (6P) had it at some point and then it was taken away.

Hence why I'm wondering if modding the build.prop for assistant changes anything with Google Photos into thinking you'd get unlimited 'Original' storage as the system thinks you're on a Pixel.

Anyone want to test it out?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Original