Google Apps Users Buying MarketPlace Apps

Gunghoray

Reaction score
I'm a Google Apps user. The short version of that means I pay $50 a year to use my domain as a shadow Gmail account plus calendar, contacts, and a bunch of other features that aren't available to the free Gmail folks.

I just purchased a new app in the store; my first experience. When I got past the "Buy" screen and the "Permissions" screen, the market took me to a "CREATE ACCOUNT" screen for Google. I clicked that I already had an account and used my Google Apps login, which is NOT THE SAME LOGIN as the Google Gmail Free Account login.

i got stuck in an endless loop asking me to create or login to an existing account. My credentials did not work.

I finally tried logging in with my FREE ACCOUNT CREDENTIALS which I never use. That account only gets spam and I check it maybe once a month, but it IS an active account.

When I logged in with my FREE ACCOUNT CREDENTIALS, I was taken to the credit card payment screen and completed my transaction, including seamless downloading and installation of the app.

Just a word to us Google users who don't use the Free Account to login. It won't work yet.

This is interesting since my "paid Google App" login credentials work perfectly to get my email, calendar, and contacts "pushed" to my Droid.

Enjoy the journey,

Prof Ray
Recovering Storm Abuser

Natolx

Reaction score
You have to make a "real" gmail account and sign up for google checkout. Google associated accounts(.name and the like). Are not supported by google checkout

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea you just need to set up a G-mail account to sync Market to and you'll avoid the endless loop.

OP
Gunghoray

Gunghoray

Reaction score
You're right about the "real" account. The "associated" accounts aren't just .name, etc. I have a dot com domain with Google
Apps that uses gmail but no one sending or receiving emails from me knows that because gmail doesn't appear anywhere. My login is also NOT a Gmail login, but it is a pure Gmail product.

Google Apps customers are talking with the Google developers about this. It's a HUGE deal for commercial Google Apps customers who want to process their customers through Google Checkout but cannot yet do that.

Stay tuned for more options as the platform matures.

Prof Ray

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hope Google sorts it out for you guys! Good luck and keep the forum informed!

grizzlylabs

Reaction score
Yea you just need to set up a G-mail account to sync Market to and you'll avoid the endless loop.
That's a problem if you support a couple of dozen phones.

I'll support paid apps for my phones when this is fixed... Until then... good luck developers.

jonfhancock

Reaction score
A "Google account" is not the same thing as a "Gmail account" is not the same thing as a "Google Apps account".

A Gmail account includes a Google account. A Google Apps account does not. That is easy to rectify though. Just go to a google service like reader, and sign up, using your google apps email as your username. This will create a Google account, which you can then use to log into any other google service.

Granted, I wish Google apps included automatic access to Reader, YouTube, etc, but it doesn't right now.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
For the record, all of the features you mention on google apps accounts are available on free. The main thing you get is your domain name.

jonfhancock

Reaction score
Actually, the paid version of Google Apps has greater use of the APIs, and Postini, an awesome backend manager for mail/spam and other stuff. Plus you can disable ads.

I have the free version of Google Apps on my personal domain for my family, and at work I administer the Education version of Google Apps (we're a non-profit), which is basically the paid version for free minus Postini.

grizzlylabs

Reaction score
A "Google account" is not the same thing as a "Gmail account" is not the same thing as a "Google Apps account".

A Gmail account includes a Google account. A Google Apps account does not. That is easy to rectify though. Just go to a google service like reader, and sign up, using your google apps email as your username. This will create a Google account, which you can then use to log into any other google service.

Granted, I wish Google apps included automatic access to Reader, YouTube, etc, but it doesn't right now.
I tried to go to https://checkout.google.com and make sure my domain account can use checkout. I set it up using my google for my domain account. It seemed to work.

I tried purchasing an app in market, but it didn't work.

Creating accounts in the "unsupported" google services like reader and utube is part of my new user set up process. That is I manually add the [email protected] account. Slow but it works.

Fortunatly that works for checkout.google.com but, unfortunately, that doesn't work with market.

Creating a gmail.com account for each mydomain.com account seems dumb.
I'm telling my users that android market does not support enterprise accounts.

jonfhancock

Reaction score
Wow! I didn't know that. I won't have my Droid until later today. Fortunately for me, I use vanilla Gmail frequently. I would rather my phone be tied to my personal account than my work account, since I will always be JonFHancock, but I may not always be the IT Manager for the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Sequoias.

I hate temporary identities.

OP
Gunghoray

Gunghoray

Reaction score
I'm impressed. I started this thread to share a small issue with Google Apps and the MarketPlace and so many really smart people have chimed in with much information and insight.

Thanks for sharing in the Droid community. This is better than any manual ever hoped to be.

Prof Ray
Recovering Storm Abuser

jonfhancock

Reaction score
Heh! I just noticed your sig. "Recovering Storm abuser"

That's great!

I took my first step into smartphones with the Pearl 8130, which can barely be called smart. I'm just a little bit afraid that my new Droid will be condescending, call me a n00b.

OP
Gunghoray

Gunghoray

Reaction score
My Droid hasn't been abusing me at all. It PRAISES me every morning when I wake up with the Rooster Crowing. Then BookDroid kicks in and plays the Bible (no, not a thumper but really like listening to The Word), and helps me call my elderly mom on the way to college.

It automatically mutes, vibrates, and rings according to my teaching schedule, and reminds me of a dozen phone calls and meetings every week. The doggoned thing even entertains me with a few games, news updates, and leveled a crossbar on a swingset for my grandchildren last weekend.

OH YEAH! It informs me when there is an update on a thread I'm watching on DroidForums.

NAH, I'm not a n00b. My Droid loves me!

BTW, so does Rufus, my cool dog who looks like a half-sized Golden Retriever but is the color of an Irish Setter. (Rufus is Greek for "Red").

Being an old fart Prof is kind of cool sometimes. Even more cool with a Droid. My students are drooling.

Prof Ray
Recovering Storm Abuser

jonfhancock

Reaction score
Nice! I've been listening to The Message for a while. Still in the Old Testament... Is BookDroid an audiobook app? I won't listen to audiobooks on my Blackberry, because it can't remember where I left off the day before. I keep a 2GB iPod Nano around for books. I would love to consolidate if Droid can do a better job than BB.