Google Announces Google Edition Pure Android Samsung Galaxy S4

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sgs4-google-edition.jpg

In a little bit we will be sharing a compilation of new software and app features shared about Android and the Google Play Store today, but first we want to share the top hardware news that Google announced. They will be offering a special Google Edition of the Samsung Galaxy S4 which will be a pure Android experience, just alike a Nexus device. The pic above is of the regular version of the SGS4, but imagine the new flagship from Samsung with only a pure Android 4.2 experience at its core and gracing its home screen. Not only that but it will also be bootloader unlocked and will be locked into the prompt full Android update cycle.

The 16GB version of the phone will be available on AT&T and T-Mobile and will include LTE for $649 beginning June 26th.

This isn't an X Phone or Nexus 4 device, but it is a surprise from out of left field, and is an exciting new announcement! Share your thoughts.

Source: Google I/O

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yet again, no Verizon, don't care...

I saw that. It seems like ever since Verizon said that they wont allow Google Wallet to be on their network Google has started building phones for any carrier besides Verizon.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon keeps shooting themselves in the foot, not giving their users the pure Google experience, constantly loading their handsets with bloat that no one wants, reason I am rooted and unlocked, running super smooth and fast CM 4.2.2.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sal R.

Reaction score
Big red keeps their phones locked up tighter than a frogs water tight butt.

papapena25

Reaction score
Verizon needs to stop looking at they're bottom line and look at they're service through the eys of they're customers!!! There really is no reason to even stay with verizon!! They are the most expensive, they are always last to get the new phones, they are last to put out software updates, no unlimited data, always locked bootloaders and now this. What are they thinking!!! All verizon cares about is money, don't get me wrong, I know it's a business and needs to make money to grow, but come on!! We just got 4g in my city and sprint doesn't have here yet, but t-mobile does and here it's just as fast as verizon. I'm really considering switching to sprint, I know sprint won't get this version of the galaxy s4, but the above reason are good enough for me. I would like to ask verizon why I should stay with them and get a honest answer. The only and I mean ONLY reason I can see to stay is that 4glte is in my city now and thats it. 80% of the time i'm in wifi so 4glte isn't that big of a deal. the only reason I haven't switched yet is because I have four lines and the contracts aren't up. I know I'm ranting, so I'll stop now.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
$650=ouch.

full retail amount so that is about right . I will be saving up for if google continues this with samsung and starts doing it with other oems i will be on board to make it my next device to upgrade to.

papapena25

Reaction score
It would be cool if we could get everyone in the android community who's contracts are up to close they're account with verizon and see how they like that.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It would be cool if we could get everyone in the android community who's contracts are up to close they're account with verizon and see how they like that.
im already a step ahead of you. My account is already closed. It i is going to be even harder to get me to go back to vzw with all the moves t-mo is making plus all the gsm/lte unlocked devices showing up on google play.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just checked out T-Mobiles plans, for an individual unlimited data talk and text for $70, my only question would be how reliable is their network here in the Tri-State NYC area.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just checked out T-Mobiles plans, for an individual unlimited data talk and text for $70, my only question would be how reliable is their network here in the Tri-State NYC area.

I happen to know that in the NYC area the service is rock solid. Anywhere else though, and it's up for debate.

iDroidNow

Reaction score
why couldnt you just get a Verizon S4 and unlock it and install pure Android 4.2? wouldnt this allow wallet and everything making it almost exactly the same as the Tmob and ATT edition?

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
why couldnt you just get a Verizon S4 and unlock it and install pure Android 4.2? wouldnt this allow wallet and everything making it almost exactly the same as the Tmob and ATT edition?

A pure android AOSP ROM by a developer is not the same as a factory stock AOSP "with factory stock updates". And why should you have to unlock the phone yourself "it would be easy for me, but not for the majority of people who are a bit weary of unlocking the device themselves" , when you can purchase the phone unlocked, with the warranty unaffected.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

bluefire7002

Reaction score
im already a step ahead of you. My account is already closed. It i is going to be even harder to get me to go back to vzw with all the moves t-mo is making plus all the gsm/lte unlocked devices showing up on google play.

Yup, I am just about done with Verizon. Not going to make the jump this week or the next because Im going to wait on all the phones to be announced these next few months, but I think I will jump out of my families plan and go to the individual/unlimited on T-mobile. They literally get every phone I would at least consider. As for verizon I have to cross my fingers they will pickup a rumored phone.

The fact that if I decide to upgrade my phone on verizon, I have to pay full retail price so i don't lose my unlimited data, is just complete BS.