Goodwill, yard sales and Craigslist finds...

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The older store in town is normally trashy, that's why I stopped going. They did build a brand new one about a year ago. Might be time to check it out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I've gotten a couple very classy $500 leather jackets for $20. They were beautiful, fit perfectly and were already broken in. Shame I lost them in the fire.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If I didn't say it before, sorry to hear about that. We lost our home to a fire when I was young, and I remember it was a horrible time for us.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
d842e4428dca60d98472f8a54a5b966a.jpg
Hesh 2 Unleashed Bluetooth Wireless headphones, $79.99 at Best Buy, marked down from $99.99

de52f0896112f197d150a0dbcf044a4b.jpg
e65ae51e13bf6c0b08083a88102e90eb.jpg
dc3003e391fe98ef86b376d729ddca88.jpg
34cfe8e0e195007cc858b7942e79946f.jpg
3e9824f4f9098946f7b94e201c12af4e.jpg

$9.97 at Goodwill.

It's funny how no one ever looks at a goodwill, myself included at times, but I know that I personally have dropped off some good stuff, many still in the box. Because of work there are times I have to up and move and it is cheaper to dump and buy new than to haul or a new phone will come out and I buy accessories only to not use it or not be what I expected. I have dropped off on several occasions things that is just cheaper to donate. Can I ebay it or sell it at a yard sale, yeah I could, but most of the time I work weekends (prime time for yard sales) so it is not worth the bother. And I dont want the clutter. When I moved I dropped off countless appliances that may have needed a dusting or two but was hardly used.

It is amazing what we learn at different stages of our lives, sadly I should have have known more being raised of thrift store clothes and stuff. It is our pride that gets in our way. Funny because many of your self made millionaires have learned this lesson a long time ago.

But as it says pride comes before the fall.

Thanks for sharing this thread @FoxKat

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm definitely not a self made millionaire, or any kind of millionaire, just a regular working class guy.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Looks like you've found some nice things FoxKat, that's awesome!
I haven't been in a Goodwill store in years. The Mormon Church here locally has a huge thrift store called the DI, aka Deseret Industries. Whenever I've gone there to drop things off, I've seen some really nice items being donated by others, so I'm sure they have some nice things to be had.
While I've donated various items & clothing over the years, I've never actually shopped at a Goodwill store. I've always considered these places to be solely for those in need, or for example FoxKats situation, losing ones home to fire, natural disaster, etc.
I can't begin to imagine trying to replace ALL of your belongings (even if you had insurance) it would be next to impossible, so these places can be extremely helpful for folks in this type of situation.

Flea markets & yard sales on the other hand, can offer up some good deals from time to time.
There's a HUGE swap shop in Ft Lauderdale that I used to find some amazing deals, back in the day. I think it's still considered the largest indoor/outdoor flea market in the country. No major flea markets here, but folks do enjoy their yard sales. Come spring and early summer they pop up all over. Our apt complex has one each year that's pretty large. It's fun to get out there and not only meet all your neighbors, but find some interesting items to purchase from time to time. Ours is coming up here in a few weeks.
I've tried to buy/sell a few things on Craigslist over the years, but it ended up being more of a headache than what it was worth. While it's been a few years since I've visited Craigslist, maybe things have changed since then.
Great thread though....it's always interesting to see what deals members have found.

S5 tap'n

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Craigslist has not changed for me cr6. I tried to list a few phones there, and ended up with nothing but spam contacts and BS. Not worth it, I will never list anything there again.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, the amount of spam was a huge turn off for me as well. I've had family members that have tried selling vehicles and RVs on CL and that was a mess as well. TBH, I'm surprised that site is still open.

S5 tap'n

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Good deals, electronic things on Craigslist are a bust, but I've found a couple nice deals.

Close5 is a good thing to check out, I've bought and sold some great items fast there too... Electronic, tools etc.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I need to sell a bunch of stuff. House sale sounds good.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I need to sell a bunch of stuff. House sale sounds good.

One issue with the Garage Sale is the peepers that want to see what "available" in your garage...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
One issue with the Garage Sale is the peepers that want to see what "available" in your garage...

Everything. I'm as t the point where I want to sell everything and start over. Only smaller. Only have one vehicle, one bedroom apartment and then save the money I've been wasting for years.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Last time we had a garage sale, we didn't feel like labeling EVERYTHING. We had like 3-4 families donate stuff. People seemed put off when I told them to just toss a number at me. I was trying to run a pretty much "name-your-price" sale and Idk if they just really wanted to haggle, or if they were just afraid of shooting too low. I don't think I rejected even one offer. My goal was to get rid of the crap cluttering my garage, not make a fortune.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Last time we had a garage sale, we didn't feel like labeling EVERYTHING. We had like 3-4 families donate stuff. People seemed put off when I told them to just toss a number at me. I was trying to run a pretty much "name-your-price" sale and Idk if they just really wanted to haggle, or if they were just afraid of shooting too low. I don't think I rejected even one offer. My goal was to get rid of the crap cluttering my garage, not make a fortune.
Garage sales are for getting rid of stuff, I laugh at people that try to get high dollar at such a sale. Here in SoKal we have quite a number of groups from Mexico looking for deals... I've unloaded many a bunch of junk with one or two items they really wanted by telling them they had to take everything in the box or area, just to get the one thing, at swap meets too, better to come home with less paper in your wallet than a truck load I have to pay to drop at the dump...

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Everything. I'm as t the point where I want to sell everything and start over. Only smaller. Only have one vehicle, one bedroom apartment and then save the money I've been wasting for years.

My neighbors just sold and are moving North to Oregon, they had their driveway full of their furniture they were selling 90%, apparently cheaper to buy new than move the old stuff.
I did get an Eddie Bauer croquet set as a donation to their move. Never used, my grandkids will love it... Someday

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
A good thing about Craigslist is that it's pretty easy to get rid of free stuff. A bad thing is it's hard to sell stuff, unless you're ready to deal with the extreme hagglers/lowballers.

I've put a few items up for sale on CL and they took some time to actually sell. Had people offering half (or lower) my asking price, unwanted trades, etc. I wasn't pricing stuff unreasonably but I knew what I wanted to get out of it.

But, I've put plenty of things on there for free and within half an hour of posting the item, I'd get 20 emails from interested parties.

The worst one for me was when I pulled some landscaping stones up out of my yard. I thought someone else could use them so I posted them on CL as freebies. My only requirement was the taker must come to pick them up. I had one person asking if I wanted them hauled away, and he'd haul them away for a fee. I declined of course because I already had several others interested...but he kept emailing me for the next 2 days, even after they were gone. SMH.

Oh, and a little trick I learned when posting to Craigslist...include something in your ad that states "When replying to this ad, please include the word (insert word of choice here) in the subject line." That way you can weed out the legit interest from the spambots. It's worked for me so far...I try to make the word something random yet still somewhat related to the item for sale.

Last edited: