GOODBYE Thunderbolt - After 1 week of constant battery drainage, i gave up

atlrus

Reaction score
You've made the right decision - if long-run battery life is what's important to you, then you should avoid HTC phones entirely!

I really don't understand why this company puts out phones with such small batteries, I really don't. I don't think HTC phones come with battery larger than 1500 mAh...

I've learned my lesson with the Incredible, so I am already in the habbit to have chargers everywhere and to plug in during any downtime, but I can see how someone new to HTC could feel about battery life.

Now with fishing season starting I will see how this phone will hold off to the areas where I fish (a lot of signal searching), but if the Bionic comes out as a good phone I would likely switch myself; but it has to be much better than the sorry Droid X attempt...

atlrus

Reaction score
I just got 18 hours of good use out of my battery . The op is nothing more than a whiner and thunderbolt nation says good riddance
sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

Impossible, unless we have quite different understanding of "good use". I just did a little over an hour trip with the Navi on and it ate half the battery...(in 3g)

Vyvid

Reaction score
did you ever try turing off 4g when you didnt need it?

Yea turn the phone into the droid incredible to save some batt powah!dancedroid

<3

it would be the same thing as turning off wifi when your not using it. or the GPS. or the blue tooth... you dont leave all the lights in your house on when you are not there just so you dont feel like you are in the old days do you?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Vyvid

Reaction score
My eris still has decent batt life but it's like a stoneage droid phone at this point

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

atlrus

Reaction score
it would be the same thing as turning off wifi when your not using it. or the GPS. or the blue tooth... you dont leave all the lights in your house on when you are not there just so you dont feel like you are in the old days do you?

NO, but I also don't turn off my water heater when I go to the store... The guy is right, you should not dumb-down your phone just to get somewhat decent battery life - why buy the latest-and-greatest if we end up with a RZOR?

androidgeek

Reaction score
My thunderbolt was lasting like 16 hours on moderate use. With the screen taking up most of the battery. I should mention I dont currently have 4G in my area.
Same here. Like the device so far though, curious to see what 4g is going to do?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

TDevilsG

Reaction score
I don't necessarily blame you for the return. My phone's battery (I live outside new york with 4G coverage) lasts roughly a full day. That is from 7:30AM to 11PM (15.5 hours) of between light and moderate use. I don't make a ton of calls, I do text a couple of times a day, and I do surf the web a couple times a day. my battery currently is at 44% btw and I'm 12 hours in. What sells this phone isn't going to be longevity of battery life but rather the things that it can do well (4G coverage and nice looking screen). I will eventually root and customize the rom. I'm hoping someone develops a rom that helps with battery life. I plan on holding onto this phone and potentially selling it if a new Verizon 4G phone comes out that blows this one out of the water. We shall see.

androidgeek

Reaction score
If this phone gets a custom kernal it greatly improve. My d1 battery sucked until i flashed 2.3.3 with a low volt kernel. Went from maybe 10 hours to a day and a half. Moderate to heavy use. I pulled this tbolt off charge today @ 8 am, surfed, texted, Pandora for a hour, forums, gps and I'm @ 51% right now. 12 hours and half a battery. Still not on 4g though, 3g and wifi.

kaic

Reaction score
With the mid range use my wife gives it she only charges it every other night.

Why buy your wife a $250 smartphone when she won't even use it? In order to only have to charge any smartphone every other night, then you literally have to just use it as a paper weight. Honestly, you could save $250 and get her a free feature phone which would be just fine for her.

Ok, normally she has to charge it about midway through the second day, my wifes phone habits aren't really the point though, stop trying to change the subject.

Through constant heavy use (me trying to run the battery down) I got 7 hours on it. That's fairly average for a smartphone.

mkjellgren

Reaction score
Amazing! My phone overnight with wifi drops almost 70% in 8 hours. That's no use just sitting idle. Your wifes phone lasts 48 hours? No way what you claim is possible.

Sent with my Thunderbolt via DroidForums App

Obviously you have something updating in the background draining the battery. My phone only loses between 2% and 5% overnight...

Sent from my ADR6400L

atlrus

Reaction score
I believe the biggest battery drainer is the antenna.

Two days ago I turned on my Inc with 70% battery, connected to wifi, GPS on, updates on, weather updates hourly, but no service from Verizon. Right now it's sitting on 31% battery.

With Verizon service - I would drain 30% overnight idling. THis leads me to believe that people who are getting great battery life from the TB must be living/working very close to a tower and don't venutre much. Can any of you with those 24-36 hour battery lives let us know how many bars do you have?

I personally get 2 bars at home on average.

ADoshi422

Reaction score
hey guys... check this out... HTC Thunderbolt test menu exposes missing 4G / 3G switch -- Engadget Mobile

this helps u switch off 4G, but still keep 3G on.. i noticed an extra 5 -6 hours of battery life.. (when I'm not using my phone i'd turn it to 3G only, so your still getting text messages and emails)

you can either dial.. *#*#4636#*#* and that will take u to the phone setting to flip it or u can download the app called Network by Philipp Mangelow. that will take u directly to that setting, so u don't have to continue to dial in it.

and just make a widget on ur home screen. takes a total of 5 seconds to switch it.. but you'll get an extra 5 - 6 hrs.

F

FlyFishinX2

I just got 18 hours of good use out of my battery . The op is nothing more than a whiner and thunderbolt nation says good riddance
sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

Impossible, unless we have quite different understanding of "good use". I just did a little over an hour trip with the Navi on and it ate half the battery...(in 3g)

Now that's funny, I have to keep my magellen navigation plugged in all the time because it drains the battery so fast, I wish I could get an hour on half a battery charge on that thing

sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using droid forums app

kaic

Reaction score
I believe the biggest battery drainer is the antenna.

Two days ago I turned on my Inc with 70% battery, connected to wifi, GPS on, updates on, weather updates hourly, but no service from Verizon. Right now it's sitting on 31% battery.

With Verizon service - I would drain 30% overnight idling. THis leads me to believe that people who are getting great battery life from the TB must be living/working very close to a tower and don't venutre much. Can any of you with those 24-36 hour battery lives let us know how many bars do you have?

I personally get 2 bars at home on average.

We have full bars when at home. I don't know what type of signal she gets at work since she can't use her phone at work.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

ccgustavus

Reaction score
Well I ordered the extended battery from verizon, it came two days ago. It did add 1/4 of thickness, but all day at normal to moderate use, and from 800 to 700 I'm still at 70%! I've used about 1 1/2 hrs on phone, and a few emails. I'm in 3g coverage.