Goodbye illegal tethering

Discussion in 'Droid Forums Member News Depot' started by kodiak799, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vyvid

Vyvid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I will admit I did want to use it for netflix on wii here and there, just because I have 4 year old twins and the same movies over and over drive me bonkers

~*Sent from a Galaxy far, far away*~

2. Vyvid

Vyvid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also why I gave up Halo and Deadspace for Mario and Dora lol

3. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Haha just hyperbole. I don't get how people use that much bandwidth in one month.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. sc4fpse

sc4fpse Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Right, and I do know that. That last bit of my post was probably aimed at the wrong people. Perhaps not in this thread, but in other places, there have been instances where people clearly thought you were breaking some sort of law by tethering without the proper add-on plan for it. Those are the people that comment should have been aimed at. Though I do think the word "illegal" is still a bad word to use when discussing what you're allowed to do in a contract and what you're prohibited from doing. :)

5. sc4fpse

sc4fpse Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, no, this is more like walking into a restaurant, ordering take-out, and then the restaurant demanding that you tip whoever took your order in order for you to be allowed to take your food elsewhere and eat it.

6. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Illegal literally means prohibited :)...so its probably a good term to use there...like in basketball...illegal defense. kobe's not getting cuffed every time the whistle blows

7. sc4fpse

sc4fpse Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You're right, but the word has a legal connotation that I think confuses people.

8. CD95YJ

CD95YJ Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I disagree, I think the unlimited plan is a good idea. Google maps uses data for gps, and in your car your not gonna have wifi, pandora or slacker... same thing, blockbuster... same thing. Limiting ones use for a phone that "does what other phones can't" would be bad business sense. The other aspect that is bad business sense is offering unlimited data (which gives you the ability to tether even unrooted through bluetooth) for 29.99 then charging 20.00 for only 2gb of tethered data. When people see the 2gb limit drives them to root and tether without a tether package. If they offered unlimited tethering or even 20gb for 20.00, in my opinion, people would see the benifit in the tether plan and root for reasons other than free tethering.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

9. HarshReality

HarshReality Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So from my POV.. I have unlimited data. If I got a dear John letter and actually called them they could offer me the 'updated account' and if I refused legally they could hit me for backing out of the contract for early termination. BUT if I let it go and they simply rewrite my plan then they are the ones in violation of my pre existing agreement and I could legally get out of the contract scott free. I went through a similar issue with Sprint once on a business account. At the time it was established I was getting a 15% discount but upon leaving my employer they wanted me to 'update my contract'. I told them I was fine with it as it was and if they wanted they could cancel my contract at their discretion. In the end they left it alone and just let the contract ride out and had the updated agreement waiting when I tried to do an upgrade.

I think this whole AT&T thing is a matter of 'only the guilty' will actually call in to fight it. Or at least that is what they are hoping. Perhaps I just hijacked this thread.. was not my intent at all.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  10. Drosul

Drosul New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My opinion on this:

They are offering unlimited data.

They are getting mad about power users actually utilizing their data, above the average person (Ignoring for the moment, whether they are tethered or not) to the point where their own networks are having trouble keeping up.

The elephant in the room isn't that tethered people are using too much data, it's that the carriers simply can't handle their own advertised UNLIMITED data rates for the speeds.

It's their own lack of infrastructure that leads them to add that qualifying line near their unlimited statement that they can basically cancel you at any time they think you are overusing it... And that same lack of infrastructure that causes them to nickle and dime tetherers with fairly ludicrous data charges and limitations.

Now personally, I have, and will continue to tether when needed. I am even willing to pay for this service per month. What I am not willing to do, is pay the ridiculously high comparative rates for the ridiculously low comparative data caps. If Verizon put tether as a $10 addon, for 5gb, with a reasonable auto-applied $1-$2 charge for every GB over that onto your bill, they'd probably make MORE money, since many people would pay for it out of convenience of the option, even if they barely/rarely used it.

11. Vyvid

Vyvid Member

Ratings:
    +0

<3

12. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    oh come on...show me any terms of service that doesn't have some kind of escape clause....while what you're saying may be true, i doubt that language was put there because the bigwigs were sitting in a room going "there's no way we can do this, and this is a complete lie"....it's just normal legalese. companies have to protect their butts, because people, especially americans, are sue happy. i think its a little presumptuous to say they know their network sucks and needed this out to ensure that everything goes ok.

I do agree with your ideas on a tethering plan though. $20 for 2GB is ridiculous, they need to come up with something better then that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
apps for tethering unnotice
is free wifi tethering illegal
is it illegal to tether iphone
is it illegal to tether your phone

is tethering illegal

is wifi tethering illegal
motorola
pirate language
supreme court legal telthering