Goodbye illegal tethering

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
K

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's not the case. Its the people who use their mobile phone for internet on their computer. Data use on device < data use on computer. Contract fine print is an sob.

That's what it boils down to. They never intended for the unlimited plan to be a home broadband replacement, which is why they EXPLICITLY excluded tethering. They know that realistically 99% of people can only consume so much data on their phone, and they're fine with whatever you can eat in that scenario.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
this thread is full of people who actually get it, and people who refuse to see it...its pretty clear cut whats happening, why AT&T is doing it, and the differences between "unlimited data" on your cellphone and tethering. the people who are arguing that they "pay for unlimited" just refuse to make the distinction (i refuse to believe that they really can't comprehend the difference...clear cut case of trying to justify something you know is wrong)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have had the wireless tether application installed for almost a year now and I have used it once when the power went out - by no means is it a home service replacement however it is nice in case of an emergency

killavbeez

Reaction score
I see both sides of the story but seriously...at 80-100 dollars per person, I think these companies are making enough money as it is. They just found that enough people do it bc its an amazing resource, so what's better than to charge for it. "Not on my watch" is all I hear from the smug dude who really cares. Everything uses data. And for you concerned citizens who need to hear yourself say do the right thing, go stop a crack dealer. Not someone using their phone for the internet.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have had the wireless tether application installed for almost a year now and I have used it once when the power went out - by no means is it a home service replacement however it is nice in case of an emergency

amen - if everyone treated it like that, it wouldn't be an issue (i'm the same way - used it at home and work only a couple of times when we've lost power...)

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

amen - if everyone treated it like that, it wouldn't be an issue (i'm the same way - used it at home and work only a couple of times when we've lost power...)

+1

Only time I've used it was when I had a research paper due the next day and Charter was working on our internet. It keeps dropping too much for me to use consistently.

Sent from my RubiXed D2G

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
And for you concerned citizens who need to hear yourself say do the right thing, go stop a crack dealer. Not someone using their phone for the internet.

"I make enough money as it is, so I'm not going to capitalize on something else that will make me more money". It has nothing to do with right and wrong, or ethics and morals. VZW is a business not a charity. The only company that wouldn't charge for something like tethering is a failed company. The whole "let's stick it to the man" stuff is cool when you're a teenager (I guess) but when you're an adult you realize, I hope, that corporate America doesn't have some vengeance for the little man or something lame like that. You're using their network, their service and you're under their contract, so all the whining in the world makes no difference. I'll go stop a crack dealer, if you promise to go create your own mobile network so you can give away free tethering to all your customers.

Again, it's funny that people really think that VZW is just charging "for the hell of it!" Like all the bigwigs are in the conference room going "Larry, we're quadrillionaires, now its time to mislead and screw our customers muhahaha!"

The awesome thing is the only thing that you can do is make posts on these forums complaining about it, because you're completely insignificant to Verizon (as am I, and everyone else here)...

GDP

Reaction score
Good. People that tether should have to pay for their internet service like the rest of us do. If you don't like the caps, get dsl or cable internet. No one is forcing you to use Verizon's network as your only source of internet.

Occasional tethering is fine, like in an emergency. But using 50 gigs a month is just slowing the network down for the rest of us.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Travis798

Reaction score
*Sigh* I miss Alltel. I could get truly unlimited mobile broadband with them for $59 a month, or add truly unlimited tethering to my phone for $20 a month.

I did finally break down and give up my Alltel plan on my phone about a week ago in order to try to improve my service, but I do still have my $59 unlimited mobile broadband.

You'd think these guys could take a hint. Alltel was an excellent provider with excellent pricing, and although they were not the biggest provider, they were growing quickly, and had the lowest debt ratio of any of the big guys, meaning they actually made lots of money.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This thread is very close to being shut down. Please control the swearing and tempers in here. No more warnings.

As for the data usage, if you want to tether, then you can pay for it. VZW is not a non-profit organization, last I checked it was a for profit company. If you don't understand the difference between unlimited data from your device and tethering, then you need to do a Google search. If you can't afford the cost to tether if that's your main internet at home, then you probably need to go to a pay as you go plan and a cheap non-smartphone device.

ChelseaBlue

Reaction score
WARNING my opinion and belief. Dont like it? Dont read it.

I see both sides of the story but seriously...at 80-100 dollars per person, I think these companies are making enough money as it is. They just found that enough people do it bc its an amazing resource, so what's better than to charge for it. "Not on my watch" is all I hear from the smug dude who really cares. Everything uses data. And for you concerned citizens who need to hear yourself say do the right thing, go stop a crack dealer. Not someone using their phone for the internet.

*WARNING I get my opinion out there and touch on the economy to further my point so if you wont like it don't read it.*

yeah it is a lot of money, but at the same time how much do you pay for your cable internet at home? My Comcast bill with extended cable and 20Mb connection runs @ $130. A month. I think its a bit ludicrous but that's what it is. (For those out there who "borrow" your neighbors wifi probably realize that more and more people are securing their routers) Wireless companies have all rights to do the same thing for the same reason. When theyrealise massive amounts of data are being used by millions of people they have to fortify their network to allow it. God forbid they have an outage due tosurgesthen have thousands of people calling to complain that they can't log on to Facebook. Guess where that money comes from... Anyways, these companies, at&t Verizon and so on are businesses as like so many others who's sole purpose is to profit while providing a service. Its called capitolism and that's how our economy runs. When you have enough people essentially stealing said service that affects their profitand they're going to do something about it. Sure the 'Fat Cats' at the top love to make their money but so do the millions of every day people like you and me who may invest in the company in hopes to turn a profit like to see that, then buy more stock and the company continues to grow and get better and faster.

We live in a country where everyone runs around looking for discounts and cheapest prices. Businesses have to tailor to that and it hurts. Blame everything on what you want but while we all know we live in a ****e economy and while it may seem minor and jovial to you (yet hard on the wallet at the same time) it matters to the company. If it didn't, well, we wouldn't be in this situation would we?

I typed this all out on my Xoom. It was a challenge. Damn lagging keyboard

Beka27

Reaction score
Great post Chelsea.

We could break it down further. I am going to go the grocery store today and will spend $100 on eggs, milk, coffee, meat, etc... I am already spending a ton of money, so I'm just going to steal the produce I feel I am entitled to by shopping at that store. Everyone's doing it.

blackbelt27

Reaction score
That's not the case. Its the people who use their mobile phone for internet on their computer. Data use on device < data use on computer. Contract fine print is an sob.

What's not the case? Yeah, its all in the fine print, what's your point?

Its not a case of how you use your data, its a case of youre not supposed to use your phone as a modem unless you have a plan that allows you to do so. Fine print that you agree to says something along the lines of "I will adhere to the terms of my plan and yada yada." In which case a $30 unlimited data plan is not a tethering plan, but the $60 unlimited data plus tethering plan does include tethering.

now believe me, ive done it and still do occasionally bur I understand why they do it.

I understand they have every legal right to do that, I don't contest that at all, its the fact that I'm buying something (data) and now I have to buy permission to use the data how I please, same up/down rates, same coverage, just a permission, and that's bull s*** if you ask me,

Apply this to any other product, I buy a car, its ultimately mine to do with whatever I please, then the dealership calls you and says "you can't drive on the southside unless you pay another 10k"

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
What's not the case? Yeah, its all in the fine print, what's your point?

Its not a case of how you use your data, its a case of youre not supposed to use your phone as a modem unless you have a plan that allows you to do so. Fine print that you agree to says something along the lines of "I will adhere to the terms of my plan and yada yada." In which case a $30 unlimited data plan is not a tethering plan, but the $60 unlimited data plus tethering plan does include tethering.

now believe me, ive done it and still do occasionally bur I understand why they do it.

I understand they have every legal right to do that, I don't contest that at all, its the fact that I'm buying something (data) and now I have to buy permission to use the data how I please, same up/down rates, same coverage, just a permission, and that's bull s*** if you ask me,

Apply this to any other product, I buy a car, its ultimately mine to do with whatever I please, then the dealership calls you and says "you can't drive on the southside unless you pay another 10k"

you're buying data for your cellphone and cellphone only. you're not buying tethering. why is this so hard to understand?

the car example you gave is a poor one. what would be the more fitting example is you buying a car, its ultimately yours to with whatever you please, but then you getting mad because the dealership didn't throw in a motorcycle.

tethering and mobile data are two different products/services. why can't people comprehend this?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

you're buying data for your cellphone and cellphone only. you're not buying tethering. why is this so hard to understand?

the car example you gave is a poor one. what would be the more fitting example is you buying a car, its ultimately yours to with whatever you please, but then you getting mad because the dealership didn't throw in a motorcycle.

tethering and mobile data are two different products/services. why can't people comprehend this?
You and ChelseaBlue are exactly right and understand this. Thanks for getting the point across much better than me. Beca27 excellent example.

This thread is almost at the end of it's useful life. It's probably going to be closing quietly later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.