Goodbye illegal tethering

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkmatter

Reaction score
I like how it mentions that they "allow" you to use wifi at no additional charge.

Imo, the only way they could justify charging for tether is if you then get unlimited. To go over 4gigs you pretty much have to be tethering.

I tether to my nook, and even then, I'm not doing anything I can't do on my phone, its just on a bigger screen.

I think, if they're data capping, they should allow tether at no charge, as long as you don't go over the cap. Hell, this could net them more money, in that charges over the cap are outrageous, and you're more likely to go over the cap whilst tethering.

J

Johnly

One free song or 50, it is the same. I tether a few times a month, no big deal. I payed for hotspot. Either way, using the net as you see fit is against the law. I simply extend my net from my device to a bigger screen. If that is frowned upon, so be it. I lOVE the development of tether programs. I am going to donate 10 to each, this thread reminded me how awesome a rooted droid is. Entitled? Please ....

Vyvid

Reaction score
Ok first lemme say Im new to this, so if I'm way off base or wrong, I'm sorry.

But what about it is "illegal". I paid for this phone and I pay for unlimited data. There is nothing in my contract that says I can't use root access to the phone I bought, and use apps people create for tethering.

Im simply using my phones modem to use the data I pay for.

Granted, I'm sure verizon would prefer I use their paid hotspot, and pay for overages on anything more than 2GB. But Id prefer a lot of things, but since none of it is in our contact, I guess we are both just SOL.

<(oO<)

~*Sent from a Galaxy far, far away*~

geoff5093

Reaction score

But what about it is "illegal". I paid for this phone and I pay for unlimited data. There is nothing in my contract that says I can't use root access to the phone I bought, and use apps people create for tethering.

Granted, I'm sure verizon would prefer I use their paid hotspot, and pay for overages on anything more than 2GB. But Id prefer a lot of things, but since none of it is in our contact, I guess we are both just SOL.

<(oO<)

It doesn't say it in the words you described, but it does say you can not tether your phone to another device without a tethering plan.

CD95YJ

Reaction score

<(oO<)

You might read your contract again. It states rooting will void your warranty, and they clearly cover tethering.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

I suggest you actually read your contract and TOS.

Jeyman

Reaction score
Meh I only wifi tether once in a blue moon. If I had to stop I would too. Though I wish they would make plans a little better. If it was like 15$/20GB i Might just on that.

The main this is they do not have the pricing down. we spend $30 a month and can get it for free. VS their crazy 4GB for 45? or whatever it is. They need to work in the pricing.

I no we cant tell price/GB really they pay, but it cant be even close to the price they are asking.

Shiodooru

Reaction score
The thing is that you can find wifi networks everywhere now.

Sent from my Droid Incredible

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The thing is that you can find wifi networks everywhere now.

Sent from my Droid Incredible

Didn't see any while driving down 95 last week.....;)

Vyvid

Reaction score
I'm looking at it now. I'm aware rooting voids warranty, but so does dropping it in a toilet. Lol.

As far as tethering I'm not seeing anything. Granted I'm trying to read it on my smartphone. I haven't signed a contact since the day the Eris came out. Is it possible it wasnt addressed at the time?

Still looking through this endless jumble of a contact though lol

debdroid1a

Reaction score
What I'm curious to see is how they are determining that you are tethering. If they are looking mainly/solely at the usage, then how can they determine whether or not you just use your phone a lot or are actually tethering? Or perhaps there is a way for them to flag if the data is coming from a device other then your phone, in which case it could mean that even if you tether rarely and use very little data, they may still send you the same letter.

I'm glad I'm off AT&T.
Verizon has ways to tell. I have unlimited on my Droid and I legally tether to my netbook. It shows on my bill.

Domestic
Mobile Broadband Connect
Data Used
Mine shows 0 because I use my phone more. And I just paid my bill.
It has a column for Usage Type (GB, etc) and My Usage

Domestic Data Used
Estimate as of 03/17/11 5:15 PM
Usage Type My Usage
GB.............. 0.497

When you tether legally it uses a different user name than if you did so illegally which is why they can tell how much you're using. If you were to use an illegal tethering app it wouldn't show up under that usage even though you pay for tethering.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

What I'm curious to see is how they are determining that you are tethering. If they are looking mainly/solely at the usage, then how can they determine whether or not you just use your phone a lot or are actually tethering? Or perhaps there is a way for them to flag if the data is coming from a device other then your phone, in which case it could mean that even if you tether rarely and use very little data, they may still send you the same letter.

I'm glad I'm off AT&T.
Verizon has ways to tell. I have unlimited on my Droid and I legally tether to my netbook. It shows on my bill.

Domestic
Mobile Broadband Connect
Data Used
Mine shows 0 because I use my phone more. And I just paid my bill.
It has a column for Usage Type (GB, etc) and My Usage

Domestic Data Used
Estimate as of 03/17/11 5:15 PM
Usage Type My Usage
GB.............. 0.497
That's because you are using Verizon's tethering software (most likely). It's harder to tell if you use third party software.

Go back to post 1. If they didn't know it was you, you won't receive the text or e-mail. It says "Our records show that you use this capability, but are not subscribed to our tethering plan." So yes they can tell.

Now those who want to the illegal thing may find other ways, but there are tech savvy people working for these phone companies.

Vyvid

Reaction score
*trying to read it on this little receipt

Vyvid

Reaction score
Also, out of curiosity is actually "illegal" or just against policy

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also, out of curiosity is actually "illegal" or just against policy

it's not illegal, in the sense that you'll be taken to court and jailed. when people say illegal they mean its a violation of the contract. and it is. you can't (according to tOS) tether without a tethering plan, and if you do verizon has every right to cut you off, charge you for it, or whatever else they want. doesn't matter if you used half a meg, or 50GB, if they wanted to pursue it they could and they would win.

Vyvid

Reaction score
I've read every word on my contact now. Tethering isn't mentioned, it is on my old blackberry contract.

Is it possible it wasnt addressed specifically at the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.