Good Skin or Case For Car Dock

Orlac

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on a quality skin or case that will fit in the car dock...

aiwasoundsystem

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on a quality skin or case that will fit in the car dock...

I have the snap on case and it doesn't fit in the car mount even with the insert in the car mount removed. Kind of a bummer ...

ninjabox

Reaction score
I have the hard silicone and it doesn't fit either. But it's a breeze to remove.

ajpb1

Reaction score
I found this out the hard way and I'm kinda pissed at the Verizon people for not advising me
I purchased the snap on cover when I got the phone, along with two other accessories (HDMI cord and screen protectors) I brought the HDMI cord back to exchange for a car mount. The Verizon rep that helped me commented that he would not have a droid without a snap on cover and the proceeded to sell me a car mount knowing full well that I would have to take the cover off to get the phone to fit in the mount. After waisting 1.5 hours at Verizon I left with my original HDMI cable. I'm just purchased a universal mount from Ebay for 5 bucks.

dulaney22

Reaction score
The soft silicon will fit but it's really snug. The little soft rubber one from verizon works better but I don't like the feel if it. My big complaint with the silicon is that I don't like the camera and volume covers.

I have the hard silicone and it doesn't fit either. But it's a breeze to remove.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

qoncept

Reaction score
The dock says it's supposed to fit a genuine Motorola case. Where can you get it?

nkair360

Reaction score
I have the snap on carbon fiber case from verizon. When i tried to put the phone in the car dock it wouldn't fit either. I took my dremel tool and shaved off some of the front lip on the car dock and shaved off a tab that stuck out to the right of the usb connector. Now my phone fits and the top part of the car dock snaps down and holds it in fine. I'll post pics if anyone is interested in how it looks.

Song0330

Reaction score
I have the snap on carbon fiber case from verizon. When i tried to put the phone in the car dock it wouldn't fit either. I took my dremel tool and shaved off some of the front lip on the car dock and shaved off a tab that stuck out to the right of the usb connector. Now my phone fits and the top part of the car dock snaps down and holds it in fine. I'll post pics if anyone is interested in how it looks.

Yes please! I have the carbon fiber case as well, it'd be really nice to not have to purchase another case to use with the car dock.

givmedew

Reaction score
The dock says it's supposed to fit a genuine Motorola case. Where can you get it?

I have tried ALL the cases that are sold at VZW and looked online at Motorola's website there is not case made for this. ... The closest fit would be the crystal clear case from Verizon it is very very thin and an awesome case. I carefully modified the mount with an exacto knife. You can carefully shave away just a little bit of plastic.

This isn't Verizon's fault Motorola made the mount and they should left a lil more room. Especially since they don't even have a case yet.

I am wondering if Seidio is going to make a thin enough case for this.

I am not worried about it now though

I would NOT go without protection and this dock is just TOO AWESOME to not use forget the generic ones this is the best dock interaction ever!!!

sdczk

Reaction score

No luck. Just returned from Vz store, rep was nice enough to try all the cases in stock with the car dock - I have the carbon fiber - nothing fit well... the silicon skin will fit if forced and insert in car dock is removed, the clear hard case would need the dock to be filed/shaved down a bit for a fit... the others, not even close.

Not happy because I want the case on full time to protect the phone (isn't that reason for it in the 1st place?)

Rep said I was the first person to come in w/ this problem, but says now she knows to advise others about case/dock fit issues...

qoncept

Reaction score
I'm using the silicon skin now, with the tab shaved off the dock. It doesn't fit great but it'll work until something better comes along. I'm guessing the Seidio case will probably fit when it comes out.

OP
O

Orlac

Reaction score
From Verizon:

Dear xxxx,

I apologize for any frustration this matter may have caused. Currently we do not offer an equipment case that fits while using the handsfree mount. I am unable to advise you of when this type of case will be available but our inventory is always updated online.

Thank you,

xxxxxxx
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

qoncept

Reaction score
That case looks REALLY close to being about the same thickness as my cheapo silicon case from Verizon. If I have time I'll go check it out during lunch.

I think just about ANY case other than the Motorola (if it's ever availble) will need to have that tab shaved off the dock. It looks like there will probably a notch in the Motorola case, probably to ensure you buy theirs instead of someone else's.

charliehal

Reaction score
the rocketfish case does not fit in the mount, i have the glossy silicone case and it fits, although its quite snug. The first time you put it in you have to push it kinda hard but the silicon will eventually mold to it making it easier to put in the next time.