1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Good ROM for a Droid 1 rooting rookie

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by smilejack1, Jan 13, 2011.

1. smilejack1

smilejack1 New Member

Just rooted my Droid, and I want to try a ROM or two, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the many options. Can someone recommend a good ROM to start with? All I'm really looking for, at the moment, is stability, good performance without having to overclock (which I'm not up to messing with just yet), and minimal bloatware. Where should I start? And is there a resource somewhere that reviews the major/most common ROMs and gives a concise explanation of their features and benefits? Any help would be appreciated.
  2. bigbadboots

bigbadboots New Member

My highest recommendation would be project elite v4.1

Followed by charity v11.1
  3. spicoli1980

spicoli1980 New Member

For me I have really enjoyed Sourcery Rom and Bugless Beast. Bugless is a little less full of features than Sourcery but both are really nice and stable. Ultimate Droid is pretty good as well but not as stable, for me anyway.

As you have probably heard all phones are different you just have to try and see what works for you.

Sent from my Sourcery using DroidForums App
  4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Each phone reacts differently to the roms. I suggest trying two or three roms. Install one and run it for a day or two. Make notes on what works well and what does not. Make a backup (SPR or CW), wipe data and cache and install a different Rom. Run it for a few days make notes and then install a third.

Now, compare your notes and select the one that performed best on your particular phone.

Again, make a backup (SPR or CW) before you change and then restore the backup of the one you select.

Mike
  5. winner00

winner00 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I would go Ultimate Droid 2.5, Project Elite 4.1, Cyanogenmod 6.1.2, or Sapphire 2.0.1. Ultimate Droid and Cyanogenmod have a ton of features. Sapphire doesn't have as much features but is really really stable. Project Elite has a little more features and is still fast. I would try all those roms and see which one you like the most.
  6. dasanman69

dasanman69 New Member

Good going guys. Now he's really confused lol.
  7. MarkY3130

MarkY3130 New Member

Ultimate Droid 2.5 all the way. Feature full and very stable
  8. smilejack1

smilejack1 New Member

I've been confused by technology since the first time I played Space Invaders. You get used to it.
  9. mkjellgren

mkjellgren New Member

It honestly depends upon what you are looking for in a rom. Are you looking for pure speed and stability? Theming options? Do you want power control options in your drop down window? Crazy transition animations? Etc...

If speed and stability are your main concerns then I would start with bugless beast 0.6.2.1 or project elite 4.1. Both offer a very clean stock gingerbread theme and run great. Some have run into battery reporting issues with bb but you'll never know til you try.

Cyanogen mod is probably the most famous rom in the whole android world. Koush, who ports the droid version of cm was the dev who first rooted the tmobile g1 way back in the day. Basically they are working with an EXTREMELY talented dev team. The only downfall is some of there stuff is kinda bleeding edge and doesn't work well for some.

UltimateDroid 2.5 is similar to cyanogen mod 6 but is more heavily themed. It ran well for me but some claim stability issues. Again...bleeding edge but super sick if it runs well for you.

Sourcery has been the fastest rom I've tried and featured the best battery life I've ever seen hands down. This rom, however is VERY customized and themed and isn't for everyone. It has TONS of sourcery and magic references everywhere you look. Ran great for me but a little over-themed (even with the gingerbread theme) for my taste.

Miui is another nice rom to look at but is a bit more of an undertaking as it has a far different feel than stock android. Some love it, some don't. Overall very smooth with lots of eye candy, but again, some have run into stability issues.

As a beginner I would stay away from any of the current crop of 2.3 roms (such as ud3.0 and jeffv2) as they suffer from a few major issues for the time being. Soon enough the kinks will be worked out but you're better off with 2.2.1 based roms for now.

Personally I have been running project elite 4.1 as of late and loving it. Very smooth and stable for me. But as others have pointed out, all droids are a little different so your best bet is to try them all.

Also, overclocking is your friend. Just make sure you use setcpu to underclock while the screen is off and set up cpu temp fail profiles and your performance and battery life will increase greatly...

Happy flashing...you now have a new, very real addiction...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  10. smilejack1

smilejack1 New Member

More votes for PE 4.1 than any other, and speed & stability are my main concerns, so I'm downloading away.

Why can't I find the damn "like" button?
  11. mkjellgren

mkjellgren New Member

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Remember though that pe4.1 includes slayher's 1100 mhz kernal as stock so you will need to go to settings>performance settings to adjust the cpu frequency and scaling to your liking. I recommend using the "interactive" scaling governor and start with 800 mhz as a max frequency if you don't want to overclock too high. If its too slow for your liking you can ramp it up to 1100mhz very easily without having to flash a different kernal. Remember to download setcpu so you can set up screen-off frequency profiles for battery savings. Setcpu is available in the market for a couple bucks or for free for members over at xda.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App