Good phone for a modder?

tryane

Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking for a phone that has a good development community and is easily locked, unlocked, rooted, unrooted, etc.

I've been looking into the OnePlus (5, 3T, 3, 2, One and X), Google Pixel, Nexus (5X and 6P), Motorola (X Play, Z Play and G5 Plus) and this don't convince me for a few reasons:

-The OnePlus 5, 3 and 3T and Google's phones are way too expensive for me, so there is no way I would buy them.

-The Nexus line has too many problems with it's processors with the bootloops and overheating and whatnot.

-The Moto X and Z Play are a bit old in my opinion, since they are not even getting Oreo (I think). The same goes for older OnePlus models like One, X and 2.

-The Moto G5 Plus is great, but for personal reasons I would like to avoid it. I know it's sounds weird, and I'll get it if there is no other choice, but I'd rather not.

Also, I hate LG, Sony and Samsung.

Is there any good option for me out there? Thank you very much. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Welcome to the forum... How much are you looking to spend on the phone?

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
T

tryane

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... How much are you looking to spend on the phone?

Sent using Tapatalk
Uhm... The sky is the limit. Haha just kidding. I'm willing to spend enough for a Moto Z Play or Nexus 6P ( I'm pretty sure those two are close).

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Uhm... The sky is the limit. Haha just kidding. I'm willing to spend enough for a Moto Z Play or Nexus 6P ( I'm pretty sure those two are close).

I don’t know the prices currently on them two ...although I’ve heard good on the play ...I’d probably stay away from the 6P as I’ve seen users with issues ...

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
T

tryane

Reaction score
I don’t know the prices currently on them two ...although I’ve heard good on the play ...I’d probably stay away from the 6P as I’ve seen users with issues ...

Sent using Tapatalk
Yes I mentioned it on the thread. I've heard about the bootlop, overheating and battery issues. Although The Moto Z and X Play doesn't seem to have a lot of custom ROM and Kernels suport. I've been searching XDA and found very little.

Sadly the 5X, 6P and OnePlus One are sitting my price range, and I can't find many OnePlus in my country.

From what I've read, the bootlop issue is fixable, but I don't want it sneaking up on me when I'm away from my computer or something. Maybe the G5 Plus is my only option...

Thanks for the responses.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
No worries! Good luck.. What is max price you looking to spend? I can post back of i see something come along

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
T

tryane

Reaction score
No worries! Good luck.. What is max price you looking to spend? I can post back of i see something come along

Sent using Tapatalk
I'm afraid you would be wasting your time, since I live in Argentina and nobody ships here... But thanks anyways :D