Good file manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sports96

Reaction score
Here is what I am trying to do.

Instructions (rooted users):
1. Download the bootanimation.zip file from above to your SD card.
2. Open Root Explorer and copy the file to /data/local.
3. Reboot your phone and enjoy your new boot animation.

The problem is Astro file manager does not seem to let me access

/data/local to add the new boot animation. Is there a free file manager

that will do this?

Thanks

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Try the app Root Explorer possibly...

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root Explorer is not free, but it is the End All of file managment/explorer applications...well worth the 3 dollars that goes to support the Dev in all of his hard work...and what you are trying to do would have been accomplished already with R/E and you would be enjoying your new Boot Anime as I type :)

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Root Explorer is not free, but it is the End All of file managment/explorer applications...well worth the 3 dollars that goes to support the Dev in all of his hard work...and what you are trying to do would have been accomplished already with R/E and you would be enjoying your new Boot Anime as I type :)

I missed the "free" request in his OP...I was only thinking of the best out there :)

OP
sports96

sports96

Reaction score

I missed the "free" request in his OP...I was only thinking of the best out there :)

Not a problem I went ahead and got Root Explorer and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the help

Techsniffer

Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse here but is there a decent FREE root file manager that will work well enough to move a few files?

Money is a bit tight at the moment.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
You could get down and dirty with some terminal commands or ADB.

Maybe even something like Droid Explorer would be easier for you.

Techsniffer

Reaction score
Tried the Droid Explorer, installed it and it doesnt see my phone lol. But the Motorola application does see that phone is connected

As for the rest I'm not savvy enough to do terminal commands etc lol, well to be more accurate I dont know what commands to use to move the file from the default mnt/sdcard directory to the system/apps directory

Last edited:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I understand money being tight, we all deal with that at one point, when you do have a few dollars to spare, Root Explorer will not dissapoint, I don't think there is one file within the Droid's system that is not accessible with Root Explorer

Techsniffer

Reaction score
I understand money being tight, we all deal with that at one point, when you do have a few dollars to spare, Root Explorer will not dissapoint, I don't think there is one file within the Droid's system that is not accessible with Root Explorer

Well the issue is I kinda need the file manager now and not in a month from now when I get a paycheck again lol.

Techsniffer

Reaction score
Tried Linda as per your suggestion, it tells me the System forlder is read only, even after I used the sysrw command (Found in LFY) in Terminal and rebooted (upon reboot system force closed)

listenman20

Reaction score
you can use astro with godmode turned on....just open terminal type godmode and go back to using astro

Techsniffer

Reaction score
Tried godmod as well and it still has the paste greyed out on Astro when trying to place the file into the System folder. I appreciate the ideas tho.

Mikejl

Reaction score
Tried godmod as well and it still has the paste greyed out on Astro when trying to place the file into the System folder. I appreciate the ideas tho.
Looks like you are stuck using a terminal emulator. If you start another thread there are plenty of Droid Forum members willing to help you with the commands to copy or move what ever files you need.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.