Good-bye, Moto

Tillmorn

Reaction score
Until earlier this week, I was a huge supporter of the Bionic and Motorola. Then Motorola threw out an estimated timeline for ICS updates. Needless to say, like most people, I was not impressed.

So, here I am, with a few questions.

1) Now that we are using SIM cards, how does one go about the process of switching phones? I ask because if I do end up with a Nexus, it'll actually be through my father's corporate phone upgrade, with him getting my Bionic.
2) Have the problems with spotty signal strength been worked out by 4.0.4? People constantly complained about it with their Bionics, but I never had a problem and I'd rather not trade into that.
3) For those of you who may have dropped your phone: How's it held up to the abuse?
4) What's your favorite thing about ICS over Gingerbread? (That's really a "just for fun" question)

Also, I remember briefly skimming over comments on droid-life that mentioned something about Google pulling support/production on the 32gb models...any merit to those comments?

As always, thanks for the help.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
1) Now that we are using SIM cards, how does one go about the process of switching phones? I ask because if I do end up with a Nexus, it'll actually be through my father's corporate phone upgrade, with him getting my Bionic.
2) Have the problems with spotty signal strength been worked out by 4.0.4? People constantly complained about it with their Bionics, but I never had a problem and I'd rather not trade into that.
3) For those of you who may have dropped your phone: How's it held up to the abuse?
4) What's your favorite thing about ICS over Gingerbread? (That's really a "just for fun" question)

Also, I remember briefly skimming over comments on droid-life that mentioned something about Google pulling support/production on the 32gb models...any merit to those comments?

1)Your 4G sim card from your bionic should just slide in to your nexus and automatically activate. This is assuming that both phones use the same size sim card (I'm not 100% sure).
2)YES. I have absolutely no issues with my phone now whatsoever with the new 4.0.4 update.
3)I treat mine like a diamond. I'm very gentle with it, but it has seemed rather durable from what I have seen.
4)Hardware acceleration is nice. It's simply a much more polished experience. Hard to describe one thing that's better because ICS seems to be a 100% upgrade from gingerbread. Very different, but more intuitive. I love it.

Last Question) Here is the update from that article which pretty much describes what your talking about. Nothing to worry about at all. This quote below comes directly from Droid-Life.

So basically, CDMA is not widely supported as we mentioned earlier and is also simply a pain in the ass. From what we have been told though, the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon is still a “Nexus” and will continue to be updated in a timely manner, but Google is simply making it clear that a device running a CDMA radio cannot be officially “supported” since its files are signed differently from AOSP code. If that makes any sense.

Here is the link to the article that the information above was quoted from.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/03/google-issues-statement-regarding-cdma-nexus-devices/

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Yea, it was time for me to leave locked down Moto as well! You will need a new sim card as the one in the Bionic is larger than the one that fits the Nexus. They will give you a new sim with the new phone. Signal strength is completely hit or miss. You are just going to have to see for yourself. Some have problems and some dont. I have not had one issue of any kind. I havent dropped my phone but I'm sure it would hold up as good as any. The build quality is top notch. So out with your "if" and in with a when! :biggrin:

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
You will need a new sim card as the one in the Bionic is larger than the one that fits the Nexus.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was unsure seeing as my Nexus is my first 4G phone. :biggrin:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
As far as the Google support deal, I have read a ton of stuff on this. I don't want to type a novella about it all but I'll tell you that I'm not worried at all. Google will still send the updates and that "signed" thing will get worked out.

OP
Tillmorn

Tillmorn

Reaction score
Yea, it was time for me to leave locked down Moto as well! You will need a new sim card as the one in the Bionic is larger than the one that fits the Nexus. They will give you a new sim with the new phone.

Alright, here's my other question then: Are SIM cards tied to phone numbers? Dad has a tendency to order phones through walmart (he's convinced they have the best deals...) and I'd rather avoid a trip to Verizon while visiting my hometown if he will swap out with me. It'd be much quicker to deactivate our lines through the website and then reactivate the phones with our numbers than sitting through that hell again. If that's still possible.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Until earlier this week, I was a huge supporter of the Bionic and Motorola. Then Motorola threw out an estimated timeline for ICS updates. Needless to say, like most people, I was not impressed.

I'm not one of the big shots here with a huge reputation or anything. But I can offer what I can for you. And my experience.

1) It is easy. Don't pay attention to the people who say you need to trim and cut your SIM card. That's crap. Instead, go to Amazon and order an adapter that you can put your new micro SIM into and then put it into the Bionic or any other 4G device still utilizing the bigger SIM's.

As far as the upgrade, it depends on who is authorized to make such changes and if they are ok with that. If they are ok with that, and upgrade eligibility is on the account, it's a cake walk. It would be just like any other upgrade (private/residential/individual account, I mean).

2) I know some have had issues with spotty reception. But the same laws of physics apply. And also the law of VZ. Lol. If you are already in a spotty area, it will remain spotty. Period. Until they update that area with more coverage. For the most part, most people that I know of don't have any issues with reception. Could it be better? Of course. Everyone will say that no matter what device they are on. And it will only get better on the Nexus. I have had the DX, DX2, and the Bionic before my GNex. And I am completely satisfied with my GNex. I got tired of Moto's broken and empty promises, and their blatant lies about bootloaders. Case and point (and also Game Point) is the GNex is an unlockable bootloader. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Moto. I have also flashed many ROM's including the 4.0.4 and that (leaked) update is just completely amazing. Just shows PART of the potential of this GNex. The transition from 3G to 4G and visa versa is flawless and smooth like butter.

3) I only dropped my phone once (thank God). I fell asleep on my couch. It is a couch that sits higher than most. And on hard ceramic tiles (Italian style tiles). And despite a minor scuff on the outer corner, it is fine. And also a lot of people were saying that the lack of Gorilla Glass is a downfall from the time that the phone was still in development, from when the GSM version hit Europe first, and then still after the CDMA version hit here in the States. But I can tell you one thing - I saw a video when we all were still having visions or Sugar Nexi dancing in our heads. And in the video, some dude took a key to his screen and it didn't mark it at all. I would still put a screen protector on it. Because I am just paranoid like that. I use Zagg (sentimental reasons). But everyone has their own personal preference. I can testify to the screen not marking. Because when I was wanting to look at the GNex first before deciding to tell Moto to go piss up a rope or not, I went into a Verizon store. And I nonchalantly took my own key to the screen and it didn't mark it.

4) My favorite thing about ICS is seriously EVERYTHING. The system is totally revamped, reworked, smoother, and quite honestly, what Android should have been from the start. It integrates everything well. And after tasting ICS, I cannot go back to GB. A gentleman in galaxynexusforum.com made the analogy of going from Vista/Windows 7 back to Windows 95. I will make the analogy of driving a Camero and then deciding to drive a Pinto or a Pacer instead. I can go on and on about ICS. But I don't have the space to do that. Lol. It does take some getting used to, though. Because certain aspects of it are completely different. But once you start playing with it, using it and get used to it, it is a total package. And you won't ever imagine how you ever got along without it.

And as far as the 32GB models being unsupported anymore, that is completely false. Google came out and officially squashed that rumor. My opinion is it was someone anti-GNex (most likely a rotten apple fanboi or a rotten apple employee that wanted to start some crap). And I feel it has something to do with apple's bogus and stupid lawsuit. Why would Google scratch their flagship? Their baby? Every single Nexus that came out was going strong for AT LEAST a year - year and a half. Even the first Nexus is getting support still. And this bad boy is going to be a contender for quite some time.

But remember, the decision is ultimately yours. And no one elses. You have to go with what feels right for you. And only you. And of course if the authorizing party OK's it. :)

Hope that was helpful. Good luck! Hopefully we'll see you around!

*Edit - In the 30+ minutes it took me to write this, I see people started to chime in! Excellent!

*Further edited - And your last question about SIM cards being tied to phone numbers. It is basically your accounts information key. I have mine. My wife is part of my family share plan and I am the primary. However, hers has her own SIM card. And holds her specific (sub)account information. We can swap phones and SIM cards, and we will retain our own personal information pertaining to the account. So basically, if I took mine and threw it into yours, I will still show my account information, and my unlimited data. Clear as mud? Lmao!

(Apologies for any typos. It's late. And I was typing fast on my phone. Lol. I will try and fix them later)

Irony. It's what's for dinner.

Last edited:
Reaction score
based on my bionic experience, i already knew current moto LTE phones won't get a (properly functioning) ICS update within the next milennium.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can't scratch glass with a brass key.

However my Nexus has held up great with no screen protector. You will want a case since it's a very slippery phone.

Reaction score
I wasn't using a brass key :D. And I have gouged glass pretty good with a brass key before. Brass is generally harder than glass. So, therefore will generally exhibit the normal characteristics - the harder material wins the battle.

But f you want something fun, take an old spark plug and throw it on the ground to shatter the ceramic. Then go an pick up what you can of the ceramic and keep it. Then go to a junk yard and buy any window/windshield from the lot from any car/truck/bus/motor vehicle they have. Now throw or toss it at the window. Even though ceramic is softer than glass, it will shatter the hell out of it. :D

Irony. It's what's for dinner.

Last edited:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
2) i only have razr maxx to compare to my nexus and razr always wins in reception, signal and call quality. prime example, i work in hospital and we have verizon 3g network installed inside the building. soon as i walk in, my nexus switches from 4g to 3g while my wife's razr stays on 4g about 1/2 through the building before also dropping to 3g. take it for what it's worth.

surge

Reaction score
I have ICS on my Xoom and I was disappointed in it. I've been using it for a couple of months and haven't found any compelling reason to want it on my Razr. Motorola's Blur adds more functionality. I was very exited when I first got the upgrade. I guess I was expecting more.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

alboboy10

Reaction score

1. Idk about sim cards but there shouldnt be difficulties changing.
2. I don't have problems with signal and I'm on a non rooted nexus.
3. I dropped it from over my head (6 foot tall) right on its glass and no scratches. I have a screen protector on it but still.
4. I wouldn't know where to begin. Gb was a joke even my friends with iPhones said theyd consider this because of ics and the way it looks and performs.

That was already dismissed. They will give support.

mekanism

Reaction score
Brass is generally harder than glass.

In what world is brass harder than glass? Brass is malleable where glass is very brittle in comparison. Yes you can throw many soft things at glass and make it shatter but that has nothing to do with hardness, more to do with the pressure of the object thrown to cause the glass to exceed its flex point.

Anyway, put a screen protector on your screen! Until they can make glass of any kind stand up to sand then all screens are vulnerable! It only takes 1 grain of sand in your pocket to ruin the screen.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reaction score
In what world is brass harder than glass? Brass is malleable where glass is very brittle in comparison. Yes you can throw many soft things at glass and make it shatter but that has nothing to do with hardness, more to do with the pressure of the object thrown to cause the glass to exceed its flex point.

Anyway, put a screen protector on your screen! Until they can make glass of any kind stand up to sand then all screens are vulnerable! It only takes 1 grain of sand in your pocket to ruin the screen.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Your'e absolutely right. Please forgive my terrible, terrible wording. What I meant to say was that I have scratched glass (even Gorilla Glass on an old phone of mine) with a brass fitting. I just wanted to see. In my defense, it was late when I posted and my brain was barely working. :D. And on the ceramic thing, I didn't mean that it had anything to do with it. Just threw it out there that something like that can happen. And that everything has a "sweet spot."

Last edited: