Good anti virus scan?

joeybarclay

Reaction score
And to reaffirm what Abe said...

There are NO viruses on the Android platform -- even if they were they'd have to have root access to do any damage.

What about using the browser, web sites, etc. Can your phone get a virus from them? Just trying to learn...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

No you cannot there was a little scare that flash could harm android with malicious code but that has been patched

chopperguy

Reaction score
And to reaffirm what Abe said...

There are NO viruses on the Android platform -- even if they were they'd have to have root access to do any damage.

What about using the browser, web sites, etc. Can your phone get a virus from them? Just trying to learn...

No you cannot there was a little scare that flash could harm android with malicious code but that has been patched

Thanks, I currently have lookout installed. Guess I could uninstall that!

BleedingEdge

Reaction score
RE:Droid anti-virus

Be careful with those. I spent some dead-time talking with a VZW support guy while working through an issue with my wife's D2 on evening. We were discussing the apps that create problems on Droid phones and he said certain anti-virus Droid apps are causing a lot of problems ultimately leading to factory resets (wipes/reinstalls).

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Then why do they feature the anti-vuris app, Lookout, as an app you can download from the Android Market on the new Droid commercials?

You would think Motorola wouldn't feature that app on their television commercials if it didn't do anything but drain your battery and cause issues.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Android OS is unix based. I've been working with Unix since 1992, we have never even considered virus protection on a Unix server.

Security at work is trying to force us to do it and we told them it just ain't gonna happen.

BleedingEdge

Reaction score
re Good antivirus scan...

Regarding Look-out: This sounds like a suite of software products, not simply an anti-virus program. Is it OK? I don't know. The VZW tech I spoke would not mention specifics, but cautioned about a category of products offered in a venue (Android Market) where no one screens apps and there's no specific process to ensure that apps don't cause problems - intentional or otherwise. That is the difference betwen the 'fruity' app store and the open source marketplace. But that's a whole topic on it's own.
Back to the point-
To be clear here there are many security threats out there for Android that are not specifically virus(s). Those with uncontrolled paranoia should read no further :icon_eek:

The real issues are not specifically Android, but include it:

To paraphrase one of my favorite movie lines: Wanna see somethin scary?
  • TCP/IP exploits: Natively Android does not use encryption. Data packets sent back and forth on the web can be intercepted and read. Most financial websites use HTTPs which is OK, but not perfect and has been subject to exploits. Some Blackberry communication is natively encrypted, but not Android as of yet.
  • Malware: Programs out there that people install which usually have a useful function but share information with 3rd parties - and no, not just the Google advertising cartel (LOL).
  • Social engineering: Social websites are known for drive-by security issues, games written by anyone and screened by no one, not to mention folks just using bad judgement on what they share.
  • Saved the best for last: Just google 'cell spy software'. There are products and services that forward every SMS, email and even stream audio from from a powered-on phone when not even making a call. This applies to both smart and regular cell phones. I guess the scariest question is - why are these even legal?
There may be a greater need for security programs than antivirus software at this point. Maybe a better topic would be whether there are mobile versions of say, Norton Internet Security (or similar) that work and won't destroy the performance and battery life of my phone?

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
So, you're saying you need a firewall and to be vigilant. A firewall you might find. The vigilance, however, is up to the end user. :)

And, of course, a rooted phone can be exploited a lot more easily due to the root access.

blockheadnc

Reaction score
Anti-Virus for Droid 2

I have lookout on my phone & my boss also has it but we were under to presumption that it was necessary to have an anti-virus for these phone. Basically, they are hand-held computers. However, according to my son it's because they are have a Lynix based operating system on them so the chance of them getting a virus is slim to none. The question that I have is it hurting my phone to keep it or is it draining my battery by having it running in the background.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have lookout on my phone & my boss also has it but we were under to presumption that it was necessary to have an anti-virus for these phone. Basically, they are hand-held computers. However, according to my son it's because they are have a Lynix based operating system on them so the chance of them getting a virus is slim to none. The question that I have is it hurting my phone to keep it or is it draining my battery by having it running in the background.

Yes uninstall it. No need for antivirus on linux
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Then why do they feature the anti-vuris app, Lookout, as an app you can download from the Android Market on the new Droid commercials?

You would think Motorola wouldn't feature that app on their television commercials if it didn't do anything but drain your battery and cause issues.

Verizon techs routinely install (or tell you to install) task killers when they aren't needed either.

I used to have Lookout, but uninstalled it a while ago. Today I finally turned off the email announcements about status.

joeybarclay

Reaction score

I use lookout I think its a great program but I turn off all the antivirus and back up features. I keep it on my phone in case i loose it and its on silent or if it gets stolen I can track it.