1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Gone through 3 defective Charges, Verizon doesn't care

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by foxdroid, Jul 19, 2011.

1. foxdroid

foxdroid New Member

Wow. I really want to like the Charge. But, I think it's going back tomorrow.

First off, the first 2 I got had screen issues. Returned, and the 2nd one, reluctantly, because all else was fine, except for the screen being messed up.

Then, I get the replacement in store, which has a rattling sound when you shake it. Guess what? The managers at every store say so what, it's not our problem.

So, in a matter of hours, I somehow, without damaging the phone in anyway visible, manage to loosen an entire piece inside the phone. Sure. They say it doesn't affect call quality, and so it's not defective. Then, the manager says when he had a Thunderbold, it had loose parts and he didn't care.

Should I just return it, pay the $35, and wait for the Bionic? I mean....this is ridiculous. I remember when I had VZW years ago. They actually replaced phones with new ones. And you had 30 days, and no one cared when you replaced your phone or you got a defective one. Now, well, they just won't. So basically, if you have a phone you need to get replaced in 14 days, they say that you have only one replacement. Then, if they hand you a phone with dead pixels, they won't replace it, because "it doesn't affect your service", and you "only get one 14 day replacement". Not only that, but your 14 day policy is not extended so you can evaluate a new device over again.

It's simply incredible that people heard the phone rattling, agreed they heard it (service reps) and when the manager came over, he took the phone and shook it ever so slightly and said he couldn't hear anything. I literally laughed out loud and said wow. So you reps, you didn't hear it? And the girl replies well, yes but.... so I took it and shook it, and everyone could hear it, which was when they just told me no, oh well, it doesn't affect call quality.

Simply amazing.

Is the striped black and white lines, and dead pixels, really such a huge problem with the Droid Charge? Are they just giving me refurbs at the store? I'm thinking just return the stupid thing and wait, but Bionic....I'm afraid of the battery life. I realize no one can really answer these questions, but, it's just been a long day of dealing with people who honestly did not want to help, despite their cheerful recording when you call the store.
  2. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

just keep sending them back, i've had two do two returns previously and both times the fifth phone i got was perfect.

but unlike you i didn't take it so personal... I don't expect the people in the store to trouble shoot or really do much else but sell phones. VZW will happily keep sending you refurbs until you get a good one. I guess having dealt with the company for so long and knowing their limitations i just deal with it.
  3. foxdroid

foxdroid New Member

Thanks.

I do have one more question. When you activate the phone's camera from the apps menu, are you supposed to hear a "click" inside the phone? I never noticed this with my old Charge, and this one, is making that noise. It makes me wonder if it is something with the camera being loose, the rattling. You can also feel something moving so I'm assuming it's what's broken. *sigh*

Bionic seems the way to go but if I use a Blackberry to keep my unlimited data, I am afraid they'll not give it to me because of the 3G to 4G switch...
  4. spdivr1122

spdivr1122 New Member

Pretty sure the camera does that all the time. also, I get the lines when I turn the screen on and off occasionally. Also a non problem, but I don't have dead pixels

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  5. foxdroid

foxdroid New Member

Thanks so much. I didn't notice it with my original phone but knowing it's normal is good. I'll send in for a replacement and get a refurb one then and like you said just keep trying til I get one. I'd rather not get the Bionic because well, I like the Charge :)
  6. rexd1976

rexd1976 New Member

That really sucks. We have gotten 2 within the past 2 weeks and have had NO problems. They seem to be running perfectly. For some reason we only have 1 cell bar in our house, on the original Droids we has 3 bars. Don't know why that is... but we aren't having any issues making and receiving calls or sending texts... so I really don't care what the bar says.
  7. jneusch

jneusch New Member

For what it's worth and from what I keep reading about people's experiences at VZW stores, I recommend Best Buy. They have a 30 day no questions policy for exchanges and returns. There is no restocking fees. I tried 4 different phones in 30 days with no problems at all. The fourth being my second Charge. The first one had some issues, which is what started the whole thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  8. Shurple

Shurple New Member

No this is NOT a regular problem and YES verizon ONLY gives refurb replacements. So the rattle is because someone returned it and Verizon didnt fix it properly or it broke in shipment to the store.

You have a data plan....you are grandfathered into all data. 3g 4g 10000g someday

Regarding bum phones and getting a new one 2 words:

CALL CORPORATE
  9. Down2Earth

Down2Earth New Member

Bro, I feel your pain.
    I was rejected from a Corporate Verizon Retail store from returning
    a factory new, unopened phone and threatened a restocking fee
    which does NOT apply to unopen phones.

After I had a manager (via *611) to verify that I was not to be charged
    a restocking fee, the manager at the store insisted.

Then since I was on the 14th day of the return the manager at the store
    actually had the balls to tell me that the day I received my device...
    counts as ONE whole day!!!! so they were trying to state that I came a day late, lofl!!!!

There are many managers that only care about money for their store...and
    do NOT focus on helping the customer. Don't give up.

Call Corporate as mentioned in this thread and do NOT give up
    until you get your intended result. Don't argue, don't whine. Be professional. The rep you talk to is NOT to blame. Treat them right and they will go to bat for you...as one did for me.
  10. EddieVersatile

EddieVersatile New Member

I think the rattling you are talking about, is the accelerometer (or samsungs version of one) for the screens "auto-rotate" feature.. It has to have a moving piece in order to tell the phone which way gravity is pulling, which in turn, tells the screen which orientation to display in.
  11. expidia

expidia New Member

Yes, now that I've read this thread if I shake mine in a motion like I was using it as a fan to cool myself off, I too hear that little rattle.

I think you are correct in that the piece needs to move for orientation.

As we get closer to the introduction of the Bionic we will see a rash of Charge buyers remorse as user look for an excuse to have VZ swap their Charge for a Bionic. I'm not saying the OP doesn't deserve a perfect device out of the box, but as soon as I see a mention of "Bionic" in a Charge complaint I think to myself "oh oh, here comes the jumping ship crowd to the latest new device" :)

I see this happen at every introduction of each new device only to see the new device have even more issues and then wait another year for an update which solves only a few of the minor ones.

That "little" rattle must be normal though in the Charge! It doesn't phase me anyway especially now that I'm now able to stream Netflix on this Charge's big beautiful Amoled screen :icon_ banana:
    I don't regret for a second at least "my" decision not to wait for the Bionic, once they sent the Bionic back to the drawing board I jumped on the Charge.
  12. mayhap

mayhap New Member

If there is anything I have learned about dealing with faulty devices through verizon, is ALWAYS call them. I have gone into numerous stores with dead phones or locked (even pre smartphone) and they dont really help. They don't have any real technical skills that you cant get done over the phone. Plus I find it easier to deal with the people on the phone, becasue they seem to be more willing to go the extra mile.(plus if you get the know it all rep who likes to not listen and talk down to you, you can always hang up and get someone else). I even had a rep call me back to check in to make sure the new phone was working properly. They are not about quotas on how many they sell like the stores are.
  13. chin2334

chin2334 New Member

Well on the 3rd time they need to replace a phone for defective problems they have to replace it with the closest model they currently have. I had my motor x replaced by an incredible and my thunderbolt by the charge i had to threaten canceling on the charge but they cave since its policy(according to an employee that told me)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
Search tags for this page
3 defective phones from verizon
android defects charging
defective charge
defective charges
defective verizon replacement phones

samsung charge defective

verizon defective phone replacement

verizon keeps sending me defective droid4 replacements
what is a defective charge
will i be charged for sending my defective phone in late?