Golf Logix??

bamaboy74

Reaction score
Have any of you downloaded this to your droid?? If so how is it??

OP
bamaboy74

bamaboy74

Reaction score
Its a GPS for the droid. For the golf course. I have seen the comercial but was wondering if anyone has tried it!!

hollowbox

Reaction score
I looked a week or two ago and it was not a available for the droid yet.????

OP
bamaboy74

bamaboy74

Reaction score
The only reason i havent done it yet is....you have to check that you want a unknown app put on your droid. and that your not responsible if anything happens to your droid. just wondering if anyone has done it. it looks really good on the webpage and it has all the courses i need!!!

hollowbox

Reaction score
I was goinv to download it. But then i saw the 39 dollar annual fee. I'm already paying for my sky caddie so this was going to be backup.....but I'm not paying that.

cyclops

Reaction score
Played a round with the GolfLogix app on my Droid today -- Unfortunately the data for Black Bear in Parker, CO was not in the data base correctly, so I had to manually move from hole to hole. When I got home I found that the course is correctly in the database under the former golf course name, Canterberry GC, that would have saved me some time, I should have checked this before starting the round.

The accuracy of the GPS readings was right on with my Sky Caddie which I had with me as well, but I do like the intelligreen feature the Sky Caddie offers over the generic green display with the GolfLogix.

I had my brightness on full so I could see the Droid screen in the bright sunlight, that worked just fine, and as expected, the graphics and GPS performance is very good on the Droid. I took an extra battery as I had heard stories about these GPS apps draining batteries, but at the end of a 4 hour and 15 minute round only about 1/3 of my battery was used, so not really much more than when I am just driving around town with the GPS enabled.

I am not used to entering stats so that took a while, and that can be distracting as my 4some moves pretty quickly, it obviously would be less of an issue if we had to wait between holes. I didn't have time to figure out how to enter club distances, so no review on that feature.

From a feature perspective, its pretty basic, there isn't a satellite view of the greens like some of the gps software available provides -- a feature that may be useful on courses you aren't familiar with, although I have not had a GPS with that capability yet:)

I am going to try some of the other software before I make a decision on whether to use this kind of software, or just keep using a dedicated golf GPS. I have mixed feelings about using the Droid for this stuff as I like the ruggedness of my Sky Caddie, which I have dropped numerous times and it just keeps working year after year (its an old SG2 model, so its due for replacement, but it just won't die). I feel I have to be much more careful when I handle the Droid, which can be a little bit distracting when you're trying to shoot a low round, but it is a fun toy:)

cyclops

Reaction score
Ok so last night I downloaded GolfCard to see how that compares to GolfLogix. The first thing to note was that the golf courses I regularly play were not mapped.

That was a good chance to try out their GolfCardMgr software. It is pretty easy to use and simple to map a course if you know the course well. I mapped my home course in about a half hour with the hazards and lay up areas. The downside, is that if you want to map a course you have never played, you will have a hard time figuring out which holes are which just from a Google satellite view -- a scorecard with a course map would be helpful.

As a comparison, the courses I regularly play are all mapped by sky golf, and I have them downloaded in my Sky Caddie, a plus for the dedicated device.

On the course, GolfCard works well, yardages are accurate, and the user interface is pretty intuitive for entering your score and statistics. In general entering statistics on either GolfCard or GolfLogix takes time, and is a bit impractical if you are not waiting on the group in front of you. Our group was a 2some behind a 4some today, so there was plenty of time to record all the stats, but that typically isn't the case. After using the software for a while, entering the data may go a bit more quickly.

All the clubs in my bag except my putter are new this year, so I tried to use the distance feature to record club distances, unfortunately, the software only appears to record your tee shot and club distance, although you can mark any shot distance and write down other club distances during a hole on paper. I went through this process, to start dialing in distances, but I did like the fact that GolfLogix appeared to have a way to do this within the software.

With regard to battery life, I started my round with a full charge, screen on full brightness. I turned on the GPS as we went to the #1 Tee -- I finished the round in 4 hours and had 70% of battery life left, very similar to the GolfLogix experience yesterday.

I cant say which software I like better yet, but GolfCard is certainly adequate if you have the patience to map your own courses. or trust someone's elses mapping. I mapped my home course the way I play it, and it worked out great.

jkayner

Reaction score
FreeCaddie FTW! http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-freecaddie-zijt.aspx

chart

diamondmjs

Reaction score
I have the regular GolfLogix device and I pay an annual membership fee. I contacted the company to see if I would need to pay another fee to use GolfLogix on my Droid. They sent me an email with instructions that will allow me to sign into my regular membership and add the software to my Droid for a 50% discount on the Droid membership. Haven't done it so I cannot comment on how it looks and works on the Droid. I'm curious to see how it works compared to the FreeCaddie app.

MRGzio

Reaction score
Updated thoughts or opinions

Just got my Droid X and am getting ready for the golf season so I'm looking into the GolfLogix app.

Does anyone have any new info or experiences since the last post in March '10?