Golf GPS

chrisd56

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good GPS Golf application for the Droid? Free or not.

Milehighjc

Reaction score
Lots of threads here on the pros and cons of such apps... there are a number of them, many of them in the Apps section. Its worth a search.

I like GolfCard a lot, just used it again this evening. I cant find much fault for it, except that you must have good data service for it to work well (it uses the google satellite view of the course). They are talking about having downloadable graphic images sometime soon that would mitigate that, but its not there now.

Its pretty cheap too... think its now up to 9.99 one time. No ongoing service fees. For me it has quite a few courses already mapped, but even if you find one that isnt, you can map it yourself in about 10 mins.

jc

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score
Lots of threads here on the pros and cons of such apps... there are a number of them, many of them in the Apps section. Its worth a search.

I like GolfCard a lot, just used it again this evening. I cant find much fault for it, except that you must have good data service for it to work well (it uses the google satellite view of the course). They are talking about having downloadable graphic images sometime soon that would mitigate that, but its not there now.

Its pretty cheap too... think its now up to 9.99 one time. No ongoing service fees. For me it has quite a few courses already mapped, but even if you find one that isnt, you can map it yourself in about 10 mins.

jc
+1 on GolfCard. Excellent app!!

JoeKacz

Reaction score

jc

I've never used a golf gps app, so feel free to correct me. I'm assuming that the purpose is to accurately measure your distance to the hole, as well as see the rest of the hole that may be hidden. If this is the case, and if the program you mentioned just uses google maps, could you just use the Droid's maps and turn on satellite view? In the Labs, there's a 'tape measure' option that will give you the distance from one point to another. drag a line from where you are to where the hole is on the green and voila. Would a golf gps app just be an easier / prettier way to do this?

jkayner

Reaction score
i've been using the paid version of Freecaddie. they recently added a map view that has distances. it also keeps score and lets you measure your drives. its very battery friendly also, i usually have half a battery left after a normal round.

den17ja

Reaction score
I'm using Mobitee app. Pretty good! For those who loves reliable, accurate software. Worth trying!