Golf gps app and battery life

caroljjj

Reaction score
I recently got a new droid phone (razr) and moved my old phone - a Droid X - onto my husband's number to let him try out a golf gps app. He loves the app but the battery was gone after 7 holes. He is due for a new phone in August so my question is, has anyone found a phone that will last through a round of golf using a golf gps app? I'm wondering about getting him the razr maxx since they advertise that battery as being very long - lasting.
Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Carol, I can't speak from experience regarding the golf gps app, but what I can tell you is that since it's daylight and likely sunny, he probably had the brightness turned up to 100%, which will eat battery up pretty quickly. Also, if he's got the display on for extended periods of time, that will only multiply the problem. Make sure he sets the display to timeout in 30 seconds, which is plenty of time from the last screen press to the next. If he finds the screen is turning off too quickly he can increase that time to longer. If there are other apps running in the background while using it for this purpose, battery power will be wasted by the other apps. If he is on a golf course where the signal for a cell phone is poor, and since most golfers prefer their games are not interrupted by cell phones ringing in caddie bags, he can choose Airplane mode (settings, Wireless & networks, then check "Airplane mode"), and that will turn off the cellular phone radios, as well as WIFI and Bluetooth. I don't believe it will affect GPS, but if the app you are using requires a web connection then this option won't work for you.

There are perhaps other suggestions from other users that can help as well. I will say this, the Droid RAZR MAXX would be an excellent upgrade for him since the battery is nearly twice the size (or larger) than most other smartphones. :biggrin:

indyaudi

Reaction score
I use a golf gps app on the razr maxx and made it through a round with 30% avail. My other droid I would have to switch batteries.