Gold flaking on camera button coming off

dwagner88

Reaction score
My original Droid went from December to April with no gold flaking. I had to get a warranty replacement because the touchscreen went bananas. This one's button was totally white within two weeks. I'm not sure what the difference was. I always keep it in my pocket, and I've never dropped it.

DocWalt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
My phone was fine until I flew cross country, pulled my phone out of my bag, and all the gold on the textured part of the button was white. I was pretty ticked off, but oh well. I might sharpie it, or maybe paint it sometime in the future. Does anyone know how long the sharpie would hold up?

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I suspect it has to do with weather. It starts getting really hot in April and the sweat from your hands will do it. Companies do it on purpose though. The back of the ipods scratching, the palm rest paint on laptops peeling, the droid camera button. It is called industrial fleecing. Ask any engineer. Industrial fleecing is designing subtle flaws into products to make the consumer subconsiously want to upgrade.

lmapp

Reaction score
A black Sharpie did the trick for me. Now the camera button looks like a smaller version of the volume rocker.

Not really great looking, but neither was the gold. :)

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Docwalt, I wouldn't mess with it on your own. Find someone who is skilled with touchup paint on small objects (look for a mom and pop hobby shop for example), pay them a few bucks to touch it up for you. It will look good as new.

DocWalt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I'm pretty handy with paint from years of model building, and if I'm not happy with it, I'll only have myself to blame, lol. I'm considering an early-upgrade to a Droid 2, but of course then I'd be stuck with icky motoblur.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I was considering an early upgrade as well, but decided I would wait until later this year when the 3.0 phones come out. Sticking with the droid a few more months saves me the headache of waiting months for an upgrade.

coondogg97

Reaction score
Wow, some of you guys have entirely too much time on your hands. Yes the gold is flaking off both my wife and my Droid. Is is called normal wear and tear.

coondogg97

Reaction score
Haha paint chipping after 2-3 weeks is NOT normal wear and tear.

Yeah, that does suck. But I would still suck it up. That is only my opinion and everyone out here has one. But my time is too valuable to deal with all this nonsense due to some missing paint.

huskur

Reaction score
Besides, you can fix this yourself, mine is great with some red metal flake touch up paint i had for my truck. It's held up beautiful

DocWalt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I was considering an early upgrade as well, but decided I would wait until later this year when the 3.0 phones come out. Sticking with the droid a few more months saves me the headache of waiting months for an upgrade.

Yeah, I figured the Droid 2 would jump to Gingerbread pretty quickly, but seeing how long it took for 2.1 and 2.2, I wouldn't be surprised VZW delays that too, lol. I really like the physical keyboard, and my only real qualm with the hardware of the phone is this issue, and like coondog said, it's so minor, I don't even care anymore.

xmguy

Reaction score
Mine is peeling too. Once I saw this thread I kinda ran what fingernail I have across the top of the button and a huge piece flaked right off.

P1010749.jpg