Gold flaking on camera button coming off

BlkBear

Reaction score
just looked at my button today and realized half of the gold is gone. WTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will pretty much happen with any painted plastics, that touch, sit or rub against anything else. Body oils are not good for painted surfaces for the most part. This can been seen with mice and most laptop hand touched surfaces over time, This can really be seen with well used keyboards.

In the case of the gold buttons and accents on these phones, it's got to be the surfaces were not prepped to hold onto the paint that it was dipped into or sprayed on. Sure the plastic may have been clean, but it was not roughed up or treated so that the paint would bond with the surface it was applied to.

And I do not blame Verizon for not wanting to claim the bad paint job as a reason to exchange the phones, and pointing the finger at Moto, who could care less (my thought being, why have a color scheme if it rubs off?). I know that this will tend to be an issue when the first Droid owners want to sell them to buy the next new toy in a few months.

samdevor

Reaction score
haha i just read through all 8 pages and my oh my this is a big issue, im gonna do what some advised and carefully put on some clear nail polish so it sdoesnt rub off, thanks for the advice guys

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i sanded mine with a nail file and put an undercoat called gripper. then i painted it with gold nail polish and put a quick drying top coat and it has looked good for about 3 weeks. i shall keep you all posted on it's decline lol

gatorbait

Reaction score
Well, I took a look at my camera button today and about 1/4 of the gold paint on the top of the button had already flaked off. It looked pretty bad an noticeable, so I just scratched the rest of the gold off the top.

I'd like to somehow paint it black so it matches the power button and volume rocker button. Anyone have any luck with painting it?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So I'm NOT the only one...
DSC02328.JPG
DSC02327.JPG
DSC02326.JPG

I fee like mine's lost a lot more than the other pics I've seen. This happened Fairly shortly after I got the phone. I wanna say within a couple of weeks or maybe even less.

My cousin got a Droid at the EXACT same time I did. We BOTH have used the pouch that we were given at the store since day one.

I pointed it out when it first happened [Was almost as bad as the pics by then], and his hadn't flaked at all.

He hasn't mentioned it, and I also just texted him to ask, but no reply yet.

I paid full retail price for this phone because my contract wasn't up, but I LOVE the OS.

I was thinking about black nail polish myself...It's been long enough now that I don't even really care anymore though...

zakany

Reaction score
If it's plastic, wouldn't vinyl dye work better than paint? I'd be concerned about flaking paint getting inside the phone.

mach330

Reaction score
this blows. my wife's phone peeled off today. this really blows that verizon nor moto won't take care of this issue.
camerabutton.jpg

eccentriq

Reaction score
mine is completely white now, i just don't care about the button.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just realized I have a small piece off of mine.

Without going into all that has been said, I just want to scream:

"WHO THE FRACK AT MOTO THOUGHT THAT A WHITE PLASTIC BUTTON COATED IN GOLD WOULD LOOK OK, KNOWING THEIR PAINT ALWAYS CHIPS OFF? FIRE 'EM"

I could deal with it being plastic, but why not BLACK so that if you have a fracked quality issue at least we don't have to suffer?

Mine had always been in a holster, and I hardly used the camera button. It's going to happen to all of us.

BTW I checked my older V9, sure enough, all of them are white vice silver ...

I guess if all of it comes off I'll go the way of the sharpie, or the gold nail polish.

CK, how's your's holding up?

wylin

Reaction score
Anyone figure out a color that can match the gold color? like if its slightly chipping. Like either a nail polish or maybe a modeling paint code. I know tamiya makes some pretty good plastic paints and they might match. If anyone finds something please post what you found and your results.

- will

wylin

Reaction score
yeh mine just started thought its on the edges not the center which should probably make it take longer hopefully. i just noticed it after looking at this thread.

But i think there might be a few solutions.

1. find a suitable touch up paint.

2. buy a new button and replace it yourself.or at a local cell repair place, I did exactly this for my V9m when the charger cover and volume button got worn out. I sourced the parts and took it to a local vendor who took the phone apart and replaced the worn down parts for me.

I sometimes buy cosmetic and repair parts from this guy from ebay "your cellular doctor", and i messaged him about a new button, grill, and bumper since to get to the button you have to pry open the phone and remove all the retaining screws which are under the camera cover, bronze grill (you'll probs break this), and the rubber stopper. He's helped me get a new camera cover after i noticed mine had a big ass scratch over where it said "5 MP" . He even sourced the part and now lists it on ebay.

or

3. just live with it.

Last edited:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENIED!!!! Motorola told me to call Verizon and Verizon told me to call Motorola. Motorola asked me If it has caused any functional damage to the phone and I did inform them that I believe some of the gold flakes have gotten behind the camera button and caused it to become unresponsive at times but they still didnt seem to care. I told them that I was pretty sure they would probably be getting quite a few phone calls soon enough about this problem. Doesnt really bother me having a white button just bothers me that companies can sell such an item for so much and not add modern technology into the mix. I think thats why all other companies started using anodized buttons on their products.

Yeah, I agree. It is the principle of going cheap on an already expensive product and then denying any wrong doing.

Anyone up for posting some pictures of coloring the white with a black sharpie marker?

If this happened to your car would the warranty cover it? That's what I'd say to them.