Going to the darkside. Have some questions

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by cnmsales, Jun 22, 2010.

1. cnmsales

cnmsales Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so ive decided to root my droid tonight when I get home from work but just want to make sure I understand correctly. # 1 I have to root my phone. Doing this in its self does not give me froyo, custom roms, over clocking , etc etc. #2 After I root THEN I can install froyo if i so choose. I can then install something to help me over clock, if i so choose and so on and so forth. Is this correct? Thirdly. If I choose to install a custom rom, how does that differ from installing froyo? If Im running a custom rom am i running it INSTEAD of froyo, or is it running on top of froyo?

Much appreciated for a quick response.

2. mgrover1

mgrover1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. cnmsales

cnmsales Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but the link you mention links to a file for froyo? So if i install that then I have froyo right? No need to install a custom rom?

4. thorn11166

thorn11166 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    how is that the Darkside.... thats called Iphone.... lol

5. mgrover1

mgrover1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yep that gives you froyo so you could stop there. i misunderstood and thought you wanted a custom rom of froyo.

6. mgrover1

mgrover1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lol good one

7. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +214

This is correct.. if you want to you can theme that. TC (bgill55)has some themes that will work as does 928droid.. once you get root you can install rom of your choice. use chevy or p3 kernals.. Source has not been released yet so diffrent in roms will most likely be little.. but you can theme diffrent..head over to rom section look at screen shots and....HAVE FUN..

BTW-- Welcome to the darkside..:icon_eek:

8. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +4

#1. correct
    #2. Froyo and custom ROMs are the same thing. Froyo is a 2.2 ROM but there are different ones depending on the builder (i.e. jrummys, Team Chaos, etc). Froyo is the name given to the 2.2 ROMs. The other ROMs or custom roms as you call them are 2.1 ROMs. So yes, root, then install EITHER a 2.1 ROM or Froyo (which is a 2.2 ROM) but you would not install both.
    #3. Again, Froyo is a ROM in itself. It runs on its own and cannot be put on top of another ROM and visa versa.

Hope this answers your questions.

9. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Glad to have you join us! If you have any issues or question during the journey post and we'll get you through.

Mike

10. cnmsales

cnmsales Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so i am now rooted and running froyo. The next step in the instructions says to install one of the two kernals to fix wifi issue. When looking at the PS3 there is Standard Voltage 250mhz Standard 125 and Low 125. What is the difference? What should I choose?

11. mwhartman

Ratings:
    +12
    Every phone reacts differently to the OC kernels so there is not hard and fast response. Heat is the biggest drain on the battery, therefore, I prefer to keep the heat as low as possible. I have good results with the ultra low kernels.

The best thing, if you install one and have problems or you just want to see how your phone preforms with a different kernel you and make the change.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide and how it works for your phone.
    Mike

12. cnmsales

cnmsales Member

Ratings:
    +0
    But what is the difference between the three? I mean what does it actually do? Does it Over Clock? If so then im confused as I thought thats what the SetCPU app did?

13. mwhartman

Ratings:
    +12
    SetCpu is an application. It allows you to set the profiles for your phone. The kernels do the behind the scenes work. SetCPU will allow you to increase the speed of your processor (CPU) depending on the task your are asking your phone to preform. The higher the MHz the faster the processor speed. Hope this helps.

Mike

14. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This.

The steps to install Froyo or another custom rom are the exact same. There is either a nandroid backup file in which you just restore or an update.zip file that you just click install. Make sure you always backup before installing a rom and once you do things a couple times it will become easier to understand the process and you won't need any guides!

Also .... it's not the darkside .... it's the better side ... the darkside is the iPhone! :iphone:

15. cnmsales

cnmsales Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so I went with the Low voltage 800. What does this mean? Is my phone now OC to 800 mhz?