Going to root: Best method, apps & uses without losing data?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by pudah, Mar 21, 2010.

1. pudah

pudah New Member

Ok, after waiting patiently for 2.1 I've decided to throw in the towel and root later tonight. Now I want to run some questions passed you root experts. I know this has all been covered before, but I searched these things and there is just too much info returned.

I don't want to lose any settings, data, desktop layout, etc. From what I gather I can safely root and not worry about this. Loading a custom rom is where I end up losing settings and layout, etc. Is this accurate? What would be the best method to root and have my phone appear to be the same when done?

After that is done, what is next? I am going to avoid a custom rom for now, and don't want to change anything or add anything that will be unstable, so I think I'll pass on the active wallpapers for now (can this be done without losing settings?). I think I'd like to be able to set the processor speed so it's higher when active and lower when not so I can get speed and increase battery power. How can I do that as a stand alone function? I also want to add the wifi tether. I've seen a few methods for this as well. Any preferred method? I would like to add the "superuser" privileges I've read about, but then what else? Is there anything else really cool, functional, fun, necessary that is still stable and isn't going to reset my phone?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: so far Im linking this thread for a lot of the things: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html Any suggestions or deviations from any of this?

Also, I get that I'll be able to backup the phone w/nandroid, but it says I have to flash, is that going to erase data? Wont my backup then be of a rooted droid? How can I make an image of the phone pre-root so I can go back to that quickly if need be and/or or the official 2.1 update?
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. LtKen

LtKen New Member

You'll need to use a 2.0.1 ROM to prevent data loss, which conveniently narrows your options to DroidMod. You could also use DroidMod just to root, and leave your phone completely intact otherwise.

EDIT: Ok, not on the phone now, let me do a better job answering:

I don't want to lose any settings, data, desktop layout, etc. From what I gather I can safely root and not worry about this. Loading a custom rom is where I end up losing settings and layout, etc. Is this accurate? Yes, rooting alone will not have an effect on your phone's appearance and functionality (aside from adding to it)

What would be the best method to root and have my phone appear to be the same when done? DroidMod (droidmod.org) is the easiest way to do this. Again, rooting alone will not change your ROM or what your phone currently looks like and functions like

After that is done, what is next? WiFi Tether, screenshots, custom ROMs. The list is endless, you'll have to get a better idea of what you do and dont want to do to answer this question.

I think I'd like to be able to set the processor speed so it's higher when active and lower when not so I can get speed and increase battery power. How can I do that as a stand alone function? You need a custom ROM to modify the clock speed. DroidMod is right now the closest thing to what you're familiar with to allow you to overclock, it's also the least recently released ROM.

I also want to add the wifi tether. I've seen a few methods for this as well. Any preferred method? Just visit the dev's site and download and install the APK

I would like to add the "superuser" privileges I've read about, but then what else? Is there anything else really cool, functional, fun, necessary that is still stable and isn't going to reset my phone? Tons, too much to add to this post. I suggest poking around the stickies and app threads.

In summation, you're probably interested in using DroidMod to root, and possibly DroidMod to overclock your phone. There are a few ways to save data, home screen, settings, messages and all that, but they will require other apps, and are not guaranteed to be cross compatible between 2.0.1 (old) and 2.1 (new) ROMs.

Have fun.
  3. alm0614

alm0614 New Member

you can save your home screens and all your apps and data with mybackup pro
  4. alienware777

alienware777 New Member

First things first. Obtain root. Obtaining Root | Root Your Droid This will not change or remove any of your settings.

Second, set up ADB. Android Debug Bridge | Root Your Droid You need this to do much of the stuff you want to do.

Next, set up Sprecovery. Custom Recovery Image | Root Your Droid You need this so that if anything you do hurts your phone, you can restore it. Again, this will not remove or change settings

Then you need to backup with Sprecovery. Full System Backup Using Nandroid | Root Your Droid You can restore this is ever need be. Again, this will not change/remove settings

Ok, now we can get to the fun stuff.
    Wifi Tether/Overclock http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ss-tether-patcher-one-click-solution-2-x.html This will not remove setting/layout. Also, this tells you how to root and install sprecovery and such, but it has old files for that. Use the links I provided. Skip down to step number 4.

Busybox Install Busybox | Root Your Droid This allows you to do many other things, including add themes.

Custom Roms http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-roms/18871-droid-rom-links.html This WILL remove all of your settings and layouts!

Hope this helps. Have fun!
  5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

6. pullmehome

pullmehome New Member

I just rooted my droid on Wednesday night and installed a custom rom that night too. If you just root you phone you will just have a rooted phone with the same exact os you have now besides the superuser ninja app in the drawer. If you are upgrading to get a 2.1 brew of the OS you have to also get a custom rom. I tried Ultimate Droid, Bugless Beast, And Finally Simply Stunning. I kept simply stunning. Overclock is an important feature for me so unless my phone breaks at running simply stunning @ 1.2 ghz I will continue to have it rooted even after 2.1 goes live. If you simply want 2.1 and that is mainly what you are doing this for I might just try and stick it out for now. I am a newb and it took me atleast 10 hrs of total time so far between getting roms trying them and changing to what I have now, plus I am going to make custom drawer icons and opening boot sequence. It is fun to me but it wouldn't be worth the time if al I did it for was the update. If you need help use this link http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...ot-animation-etc.html?highlight=bugless beast it is an amazing tutorial with ALL links any noob would need

You asked about the link it tells you how to flash a rom with nandroid and update.zip methods just follow the steps with the same with whatever rom you tried I used nandroid first update.zip next and then nandroid again to her simply stunning. It worked fine all three times with me (if the code looks like it has spaces it most likely does)
  7. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Anyone run into any problems that need updating in my thread?
  8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

9. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

no no no, follow the links in my sig! j/k:)

I often wonder if those who decide to root end up more confused once they ask what's the best way to go about rooting :)

All of the above is good advice. I'll add that I do not have the SDK and don't use ADB so wouldn't call that a required step. I do understand it lets you use your PC keyboard to type commands in vs the droid's keyboard, which can simplify things.

So, for more advice: use Droidmod if typing commands worries you. Visit the rom section of these forums if you want to do things manually, step by step, to learn what's going on in the background. Finally, if you don't like the rom you end up with you can swap it for another easy enough.

me? I'm off to read the link mwhartman posted, even though I've rooted, overclocked, changed rom's, applied themes, etc.
  10. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

That thread is my newer, updated thread to the one you have in your sig. The one in your sig is 2.0.1 the new one is 2.1
  11. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

out with 2.01 and in with 2.1, thanks!

Having numbered steps is one of the best things to that guide. Well, that and the fact that it works:) It got me up and running my first time, thanks again!
  12. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Yeah, for my money, Matt's process is the best option.

Mike
  13. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

No problem.
  14. jdubbya

jdubbya New Member

I did Droidmod using this simple step by step Youtube tutorial. You can pause the video as you go.

Easy as heck, rooted droid in 20 min.

All it changed for me is my homescreen shortcuts were gone, had to rearrange but all apps were still there. I highly recommend it.
  15. pudah

pudah New Member

Well now I am confused. Flashing for Nandroid, is this going to erase things or not? I was trying to not add a custom rom. Must I add a custom rom to do wifi tethering, overclocking, etc, or can I do these all individually after rooting? I guess Im not horrified at the idea of losing my desktop icons with a custom rom, but I don't want to have to redo all of the program, phone, call, and other settings. I also have a folder of bookmarks on a home screen I don't want to have to recreate. If I just root without the rom, what can and cant I do? What would be the best things TO do? Also, what about backing up pre-rooting? How can I do that so I can go back to where I am now when it's time to update to 2.1 or if I need to take my phone in for something?
  16. pudah

pudah New Member

OK I just did everything up through the backup. I want to keep a copy of the backup on my PC. What is the location of the backup on the SD card and what is it's name or names?
  17. pudah

pudah New Member

Wifi tethering has been a complete bust. I dont want to install a custom rom to do it, and I thought it was possible to do without that.

First I tried the steps here: Wifi Tether | Root Your Droid

It worked well and I was able to run the program, but I couldnt enable wifi on the droid. Other people had the same issue and I read their notes. Apparently newer versions of the files used were necessary, and a link was provided. I recovered to a backup and wanted to retry, but that link is dead.

Then I tried the process by Matth3w here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html

Basically it says to download an APK and install it. Done, but when I try to install it I am told that I don't have the proper files.

What can I do?
  18. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

The kernel you are using has to support wifi now I believe.
  19. pudah

pudah New Member

How can I change that without messing everything else up?

Where I stand now is that wifi tethering is installed, but wont work because of no netfilter. I can't uninstall it unless I recover a backup again, which I'd prefer not to do so I don't have to install busybox again. I can't uninstall it because it's not listed in the manage applications list. I can't use the other method I listed above, but I don't know where to find those files as that site is down. I also tried the one click install, but that didn't work at all. It wouldnt communicate with the phone.
  20. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

You just need to download a custom kernel and run the update.zip method.
Search tags for this page
android root without losing data
best root for android
easist way to root withou losing information
how to prevent losing everything after rooting android phone
how to root android phone without losing data
how to root android without losing data
how to root ur phone without looseing data
how to root without losing app data

root android phone without losing data

root android without losing data

root androind without loosing data