Going to Europe for 2 weeks. What do I need?

82DMC12

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a D1 and I'm up for an upgrade. I'm holding out for the Bionic but here's a question that might influence my decision.

I'm going on a vacation to the UK, France, and Italy in Oct/Nov. This is my first time leaving the US. What do I need to be able to text message and use GPS/google maps/internet while I am there? I probably won't make a phone call unless it's an emergency. Should I use Skype for that?

I don't want to come home to a $1000 bill from VZW. Do I need a different phone? Like a Global? Can I buy a temporary phone while I am there? Would I be better off going to AT&T for a new contract so I'm on GSM? Maybe I could get an Atrix.

I have no clue. What should I do?

Andy

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You need to sort out your priorities. If you need to text then you need a device that supports the bands required where you're traveling.

If you want to avoid an expensive bill when you return then you won't want to text or use data (e.g. Google Maps which requires data) while roaming internationally. For GPS nav, I'd suggest using an app that stores maps locally such as CoPilot or Navigon, etc.

I don't want to come home to a $1000 bill from VZW. Do I need a different phone? Like a Global? Can I buy a temporary phone while I am there? Would I be better off going to AT&T for a new contract so I'm on GSM? Maybe I could get an Atrix.
Neither will help with your bill. Again international roaming fees would still apply.

On the other hand, if you have an unlocked device (you don't need to sign up with a GSM carrier here in the US to get one) you can use a local SIM. They're typically much less expensive. If you need data then make sure you get data as well. Keep in mind that with a local SIM you'll have a local number (i.e. not your number).

Last edited:

Dwyndal

Reaction score
if you are a good customer, VZW will actually give you a "loaner" for the area you are headed to use. I just closed a contract for my ex-gf account she moved to Australia and i told Verizon that and they said well we could have given you a phone to let her travel and use overseas.

I also hear for a small fee you can get your phone unlocked, i think it was $45 from your carrier.

Try those options as well, if not, i believe some cheap phones are available taht you can get to use a friend of mine bought a cheap phone from a kiosk and a sim car with limited use that was up to a month so there are possibilities.

BobB

Reaction score
Global with an Incredible 2

See the thread updated today called HTC Incredible 2 - How to use GSM in France.

Read the whole thing. While it applies to the HTC Incredible 2, there is useful info on the thread that you might find helpful.

Allen K

Reaction score
if you are a good customer, VZW will actually give you a "loaner" for the area you are headed to use. I just closed a contract for my ex-gf account she moved to Australia and i told Verizon that and they said well we could have given you a phone to let her travel and use overseas.

I also hear for a small fee you can get your phone unlocked, i think it was $45 from your carrier.

Try those options as well, if not, i believe some cheap phones are available taht you can get to use a friend of mine bought a cheap phone from a kiosk and a sim car with limited use that was up to a month so there are possibilities.

If you get a good customer service rep they shouldn't charge you to unlock your phone. When I was AT&T they unlocked my Treo650 for free after I told them I was traveling for business. But as you can tell that was quite a while ago...

VZW_CS

Reaction score
Hello 82DMC12/Andy,

It sounds like you have a FUN trip planned later this year!
Since you don't currently have a global capable device, you could definitely get in touch with our Global Service Department at Verizon wireless where you can rent a phone for the time you will be gone.

They can be reached at (800) 711-8300 Mon-Fri 9AM-6PM EST.

You can also view the rates for calls/texting/data while you are in Europe
International Services

Have a safe, fun trip!

Aiesline

Reaction score
If it were me I'd rent a phone once there. Just google it. you will come up with affordable options. Roaming data through verizon is INSANELY expensive.

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
Again those are technologically advanced countries you won't have a problem finding wifi access points to avoid data charges and you can use email instead of text, thats what I do when I go to mexico for a period of time, I just turn of roaming data on my phone and use wifi.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums