Going to Canada for one day and I need maps without data

HamDog

Reaction score
I'm just going to Vancouver for one day on business. Verizon says it's something like $2/megabyte of data up there! Heck, I'm going to a new city and need maps and navigation on my Droid, and their per megabyte data plan can really get expensive.

Is there anyway I can pre-load maps and somehow use navigation without data???

dAi

Reaction score
Co pilot! I use it!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
H

HamDog

Reaction score
Co-pilot is $150 for U.S. and Canada! There's gotta be a cheaper way. My Droid can't possibly completely useless in Canada without the expensive Verizon data plan. Isn't there anything that can cache maps for an area and then just use the GPS function only?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Co-pilot is $150 for U.S. and Canada! There's gotta be a cheaper way. My Droid can't possibly completely useless in Canada without the expensive Verizon data plan. Isn't there anything that can cache maps for an area and then just use the GPS function only?

Can't you just get copiolt live north america? That has both USA and Canada. Only $20.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

esheesle

Reaction score
Mapdroyd works although dont think it can do navigation

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Card

Reaction score
You might be better off buying a paper map or making some PDF files of maps to put on your phone.

OP
H

HamDog

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I was wrong in thinking co-pilot was $150, it's actually $20. Not bad, but I want something free for a one day use if possible.

So I downloaded Oruxmaps and found it to be way too complex. I stopped figuring out how to work it after I the 3rd add on piece that I had to download for it. Then there's the big manual! Ok....just don't have time. May be good for someone who needs it on a regular basis to learn it, but not worth it for my one time use.

So now I'm trying Mapdroyd. I'll report back when it finished downloading and I get to try it out. I really thought there would be some simple way of caching Google Maps data in detail for a small chosen area, but I guess not. The GPS feature of our phones should work great with cached maps, but I guess there's nothing simple and fast available.

I have printed some Google maps for reference. But GPS and navigation are just better tools. I can't believe Verizon doesn't have better contracts in place with our neighbors up North for data plans.

I also have an old Delorme PN40 GPS from a long time ago. I've dusted it off and have to remember how to use that damn thing! Looks so outdated!

hgrimberg

Reaction score
Google maps has an option to cache data up to a certain amount of MB. It is under settings. So just place the map where you want to go and it should save it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I can't believe Verizon doesn't have better contracts in place with our neighbors up North for data plans.!

They did but they ditched them VERY recently. I believe it even had unlimited data in it. BUT as you can tell they make more money the other way.

Google maps has an option to cache data up to a certain amount of MB. It is under settings. So just place the map where you want to go and it should save it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I didn't think google maps worked offline.

Se nt from my Droid using DroidForums