going to build a desktop, need advice/tips

ericwiz

Reaction score
If this is mainly for WOW then multicore is not that important. What you want is the fastest cores. So, a 3.0 core will perform better than a 2.8, for instance.

Also, 1GB video card would be a plus. The more memory the better your video settings can be.

Thats why i said on buying AMD WIndsor 6000+
it has 2x 3.0 GHZ ....best he can get and cheapest.

/agree

and 4GB of RAM is plenty anyway for just about any application.

I run 4GB on my rig at home and never use more than 2.5 like ever.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well yes Movies in HD, 2 24" screens and multitasking....
i know that there is no future upgrade for this setup right now, but have a look on SAMS tasks he wants to accomplish with his system.

I say its depending on teh budget ;D

i think we failed Sam, lol.

budgetary restraint, go with your setup Sam. *maybe* get a better PSU than the stock one. and maybe consider a mobo with DDR3 capability (and expandable to more than 4gb). shouldn't be much more expensive...

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Ok, so it seems like tigger knows what I'm after, which is a budget WoW system. It sounds like I need to step up the graphic card and look into a faster CPU as opposed to more cores, right? Any need for a higher resolution monitor? I could switch to DDR3 if you guys think I should, but unless there is a BIG difference, I don't see why... also, I will be running windows 7 64 bit pro.

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Now that makes it different. If you go for 64 bit tbh take more ram: ddr2 is cheap and gthere is no BIG difference.

The screen is something else. Normally u buy a screen to last like 3^r yrs: i advise to put more mloney tghere. So have a look on tbhe samsung syncmaster p2450h. I own it twice...is teh pwnz0r ;)

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Now that makes it different. If you go for 64 bit tbh take more ram: ddr2 is cheap and gthere is no BIG difference.

The screen is something else. Normally u buy a screen to last like 3^r yrs: i advise to put more mloney tghere. So have a look on tbhe samsung syncmaster p2450h. I own it twice...is teh pwnz0r ;)

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks folks! I'll make another list tonight and post here.

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just an update (and to put an end to the madness).. I got on Newegg Monday morning and the had a special for some CyberPower gaming pc built around the Core i5 and way more hardware than I needed, so I sprung for that and only spent like $50 more than I wanted to with a monitor. So I'm good. Thanks for the input! P.s: the monitor is some acer 21.5" 1920x1080 res monitor, I'm sure its more than enough..

winbricks

Reaction score
this build looks pretty good honestly. i'd recommend thinking about getting a ssd. can't hurt!

also, i'd say getting a gtx 260/ hd4870 would be better. great value for the money/future-proofs your system better.

black edition AMD's are great! but make sure you have good cooling. amds get real hot. i've got amd in my system with an arctic cooling cpu fan, which does a great job.

fr4c

Reaction score
Hey guys, just an update (and to put an end to the madness).. I got on Newegg Monday morning and the had a special for some CyberPower gaming pc built around the Core i5 and way more hardware than I needed, so I sprung for that and only spent like $50 more than I wanted to with a monitor. So I'm good. Thanks for the input! P.s: the monitor is some acer 21.5" 1920x1080 res monitor, I'm sure its more than enough..
Very nice. The Intel Nehalems are very nice processors (especially with Turbo Boost in single threaded apps) and should be more than enough for your needs. Enjoy and post some pictures when you get a chance!