Going to attempt to...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by meganimel, May 23, 2010.

1. meganimel

meganimel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Overclock my Droid! Yes, using this guide: OVERCLOCK | Root Your Droid

My question and what I need help with, is what can I do to avoid permanently bricking my phone? Are there certain steps I can take to avoid such a scenario?

I'm only worried because I've bricked my phone before, on much easier tasks, so with a brick rating of 4.5, I'm almost guaranteed to brick it again, so a little bit of advice would be wonderful for a noob like me. x_x;

2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How did you brick your droid?? I have never heard of anyone actually bricking one, and even I have done many many many changes to the system, hacking, and theming. Overclocking is simple. Just have to be rooted, download a kernel of your choice (bekits or P3 are nice) and flash it. Then buy adn download SetCPU, detect settings, and set them up! Its super easy...

3. meganimel

meganimel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's a really funny story, actually. I hadn't realized that busybox was something you had to install in order for ADB to use it, so I was editing build.prop, trying to get my Droid to record higher quality video, and when it came time to push it back over using busybox, it failed. I then decided to go ahead and reboot, and well, yeah. It then was unable to start up, and I had to reflash because I hadn't backed anything up.

4. littlerick

littlerick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if you could reflash it, it wasnt bricked

5. meganimel

meganimel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, well the way I had understood it was that bricked meant that it couldn't function (start up), but depending on the severity, could be repaired. Sorry.

6. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Bricked means bricked, like a paper weight, if you couldn't get to the M logo, bootloader screen or the recovery menu then you might have been bricked but I don't think there has one confirmed case of a Droid being bricked yet.

7. meganimel

meganimel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, well the time I had bricked mine, the backlight would come on, but the M logo wouldn't come up. I couldn't get into recovery mode, but I could do power + up on the D-pad and get RSD light to recognize and reflash it.

Well, seeing as there is no case of a truly bricked phone, I'll go ahead and try it. If anything I'll just do a backup and be fine. Thanks. =]