Going on a cruise? Make sure to turn your phone off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cehammond

Reaction score
Class Action

Definitely class action. Haven't you ever gotten one of those letters that say "XYZ Corp has admitted to price fixing of computer memory and a class action suit established a fund to pay all injured parties"?

The attorneys make about $30 mil and you get a check for $0.46. But you either feel better for sticking it to the company, or a lot worse when you realize how much work the law firm did for their $30 mil.

But I still feel Verizon should direct you to some kind of on-line tutorial outlining the pitfalls. In the last two days I have become very impressed with the Incredible, but there are a lot of people like his mother who don't understand the potential of the unit and just trudge along without ever knowing. Think how many apps might be sold if everyone like her understood how it works, not to mention the good will if it were Verizon providing the information. Definitely worth someone's time I would think. (But even if you've never used a smart phone, I think most people have run into minute overcharges and how many minutes it takes to double your monthly bill.

VIRominoff

Reaction score
Definitely class action. Haven't you ever gotten one of those letters that say "XYZ Corp has admitted to price fixing of computer memory and a class action suit established a fund to pay all injured parties"?

The attorneys make about $30 mil and you get a check for $0.46. But you either feel better for sticking it to the company, or a lot worse when you realize how much work the law firm did for their $30 mil.

But I still feel Verizon should direct you to some kind of on-line tutorial outlining the pitfalls. In the last two days I have become very impressed with the Incredible, but there are a lot of people like his mother who don't understand the potential of the unit and just trudge along without ever knowing. Think how many apps might be sold if everyone like her understood how it works, not to mention the good will if it were Verizon providing the information. Definitely worth someone's time I would think. (But even if you've never used a smart phone, I think most people have run into minute overcharges and how many minutes it takes to double your monthly bill.

...Ok...let's be honest...

I pay 25K for a car...
I don't blame the dealer that I didn't know to use the clutch (with cars now no one will no what a clutch is in 10 years XD).

Here...I'm going to shorten your post and remove the fluff..

"People shouldn't have to read legal documents. They should have it explained to them."

How about we stop being lazy and read.

</readabookrant>

Also price fixing is not the same as "we are going to charge out the *** if you don't read this!"

This is why Law and emotions don't mix.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello, should we get rid of the law that requires an autoshop to give us an estimate before doing work? Sure, we read the sign on their wall $90/hour. Should we "know better" when we get a huge bill?

The lady on the cruise ship could be anyone's mom. She got charged hundreds of dollars for checking the time on her phone. You don't think that needs to stop?

JCo352

Reaction score

I pay 25K for a car...
I don't blame the dealer that I didn't know to use the clutch (with cars now no one will no what a clutch is in 10 years XD).

"People shouldn't have to read legal documents. They should have it explained to them."

</readabookrant>

ALSO PRICE FIXING IS NOW THE SAME AS "WE ARE GOING TO CHARGE OUT THE *** IF YOU DON'T READ THIS!"

This is why Law and emotion don't mix.

Your analogies make no sense. A clutch would be more relatable to operating the unlock screen on the phone. The VZW bill, would be more related to the loan's terms and conditions of your new $25,000 car.

carbonnoid

Reaction score
Yes, in real life I would call you a "dolt" and you would do what? And I would call the police, and you would claim police brutality. Anything to beat the system I bet.

anyway

Your agreeing to the terms to pay for a certain amount of time and data. If you go against that, you will be penalized. Its really not a hard thing to understand, for some reason, you may feel like your getting your jollys off beating verizon, idno, but in my opinion your trying to beat the system because you feel entitled that because you didnt know, then you shouldnt be punished. So basically, you were caught on to catch a predator, she told you she was 13 and she wanted to have sex with you, but because you didnt know its illegal to have sex with little kids, they should let it slide the first time. I know this is an extreme example, but that is what you are saying. You are paying for a product, by the minute, and you complain that you need to be updated, so goto vwz website and it updates you, send them a text, and it will text you back, how are you comparing your car getting fixed to continuously using a service? Its comparing apples to oranges. My car breaks down, I goto my mechanic, he looks at it, ok this will cost 622 dollars. You are not using him 24/7 all day everyday. You signed a contract, you agreed to the terms, you chose not to read those terms, nor understand them, and then blame someone else for your problems.

Like its not even fine print or anything, its in big letters for you to read it.
Cruise Ship Coverage

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, in real life I would call you a "dolt" and you would do what? And I would call the police, and you would claim police brutality. Anything to beat the system I bet.

anyway

Your agreeing to the terms to pay for a certain amount of time and data. If you go against that, you will be penalized. Its really not a hard thing to understand, for some reason, you may feel like your getting your jollys off beating verizon, idno, but in my opinion your trying to beat the system because you feel entitled that because you didnt know, then you shouldnt be punished. So basically, you were caught on to catch a predator, she told you she was 13 and she wanted to have sex with you, but because you didnt know its illegal to have sex with little kids, they should let it slide the first time. I know this is an extreme example, but that is what you are saying. You are paying for a product, by the minute, and you complain that you need to be updated, so goto vwz website and it updates you, send them a text, and it will text you back, how are you comparing your car getting fixed to continuously using a service? Its comparing apples to oranges. My car breaks down, I goto my mechanic, he looks at it, ok this will cost 622 dollars. You are not using him 24/7 all day everyday. You signed a contract, you agreed to the terms, you chose not to read those terms, nor understand them, and then blame someone else for your problems.

Like its not even fine print or anything, its in big letters for you to read it.
Cruise Ship Coverage

And the police would do what after I tell you what I really think of you?

Fine, you don't think consumer protection is required here. I get it. I disagree.

I'll say one thing: you're condescending.

carbonnoid

Reaction score

I pay 25K for a car...

</readabookrant>

ALSO PRICE FIXING IS NOW THE SAME AS "WE ARE GOING TO CHARGE OUT THE *** IF YOU DON'T READ THIS!"

Your analogies make no sense. A clutch would be more relatable to operating the unlock screen on the phone. The VZW bill, would be more related to the loan's terms and conditions of your new $25,000 car.

Cruise Ship Coverage

seriously, it wasnt that hard, 3 clicks. Come on people, its really sad when you need to be spoon fed and your over hte age of 18. Are you really that lazy and short minded? I hope you do not hold a job of power where you must manage and do actual work.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score

I pay 25K for a car...

</readabookrant>

The comparison was "clutch" to make the car go...
"Airplane mode" to make the phone stop swapping data...
The analogy was perfect .. the point was "do you know how to operate the device?? And why the controls are there"
And the dangers of not using them properly...

Maybe they should make you get a licence to have a smart phone... and give a written as well as a practical exam... then you couldn't be mad at a phone for synching data while roaming and the carrier for the bill because you passed the test.... oh .... "I read and understand the terms of use agreement" .... same thing

mikes

Reaction score
you can set up international roaming for $60 and get a credit for unused time. If you don't notify Verizon it cost $600! $60 or $600... based on a prior notification. Do you think Verizon has ANY more or ANY less actual dollars in cost for that same exact service.
First, someone mentioned a $60 international plan, but I can't find any mention of it on the Verizonwireless web site, nor do they mention the availability of any such plan in their International Roaming FAQ. They do have the $5 Global Phone Value Plan, but that doesn't appear to offer any advantage when using a CDMA phone. They also have an international data plan, but that's $130.

Second, the OP mentioned cruise ships, which are private systems, and unlikely to be covered by any international plan, even if one were available. They are not covered by either the voice or data plans mentioned above.

Finally, one cannot assume that the cost to Verizon is the same - they may well have roaming agreements which call for different rates based on contracted plan usage vs. "per use."

killuhjason

Reaction score
I think if the OP is smart he will call Verizon and reason with them. True, it's really his fault or his moms fault, but it was just an error. From my own experiences with Verizon I find that they are very reasonable and should probably do the right thing and give the OP a break. It's not worth losing a customer over.
This is exactly what I thought before I called. I will try to call again as I am not real excited about paying that $355. But I'm pretty sure that I won't be staying with VZW regardless of the outcome.

Had this not happened I never would have started day dreaming about that dang EVO. Now I'm afraid I have my hopes up. We'll see.

i hope you live in a 4G area.....otherwise your gonna end up shelling out $10/mo for a service you dont recieve, complain about it and switch away from sprint too....

nikkix

Reaction score
You are a fanboy,
LOL. You misspelled "fanboi." If you can't even get the insults correct, why bother?

From urbandictionary.com, which is the authority on this:

Deliberate mispelling of the word 'fanboy'

I notice they mispelled misspelling.

Anyway, if you have to attack someone's grammar or spelling to try to win, you're argument is weak.

>>>>>>>"your"

the main theme you should take away ,as someone pointed out,is that not everything is black and white.

in some cases, i would award a refund in a similar situation. others, i wouldnt.

in this case, i wouldnt. you were aware ,im sure, of the possibility of problems arising when getting your mother a phone like the droid eris.and as others have stated, "air plane mode" is only one example of how easily this problem could have been avoided.

despite all of this, the OPs attitude is what makes me so sure the CS agent did the right thing.

you are not entitled to a total refund. ignorance is not an excuse this time. and if you are too stubborn to accept the credit, and instead opt to be out twice the amount of the bill in etf, then you just convinced me even more that you deserved it.

:)

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
you can set up international roaming for $60 and get a credit for unused time. If you don't notify Verizon it cost $600! $60 or $600... based on a prior notification. Do you think Verizon has ANY more or ANY less actual dollars in cost for that same exact service.
First, someone mentioned a $60 international plan, but I can't find any mention of it on the Verizonwireless web site, nor do they mention the availability of any such plan in their International Roaming FAQ. They do have the $5 Global Phone Value Plan, but that doesn't appear to offer any advantage when using a CDMA phone. They also have an international data plan, but that's $130.

Second, the OP mentioned cruise ships, which are private systems, and unlikely to be covered by any international plan, even if one were available. They are not covered by either the voice or data plans mentioned above.

Finally, one cannot assume that the cost to Verizon is the same - they may well have roaming agreements which call for different rates based on contracted plan usage vs. "per use."

Right here yo... plain as day
Cruise Ship Coverage

snappingfish

Reaction score
some folks are just spawned, err, born like that

Cruise Ship Coverage

seriously, it wasnt that hard, 3 clicks. Come on people, its really sad when you need to be spoon fed and your over hte age of 18. Are you really that lazy and short minded? I hope you do not hold a job of power where you must manage and do actual work.

Remember, it was the guys mom, who probably didn't read the TOS, or your muddle-minded opinion about being responsible for everything from Eve on. Are you really that callous? Don't you admit that you, or no one you know (unless a tort lawyer is in your tight lil' click-and YOU KNOW, its "LIL") reads all warnings, TOS req's, liability disclaimers, and on and on. I bet you a lot of your bluster for the next 2 days that YOU-YEAH YOU FIDDLEFA*T, haven' read the Johnson & Johnson recall notice AND disclaimer about Extra-Strength Tylenol, have ya, smarta**? But I bet you, or someone you care about (Bert N' Ernie, maybe?) H-A-S taken a Tylenol or some other J & J product that is listed in the last YEAR-yup-the recall has been going on for a long time.........

So, loosen your girdle, Twilliker, and relax. VZW doesn't need your moronic fan chatter, nor does the majority of consumers enjoy your Bean-Counter slant on things!

Now figure out who still thinks you're cool, and use your LG VX8300 to give 'em a call!

Status
Not open for further replies.