Going on a cruise? Make sure to turn your phone off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliassami5

Reaction score
+1 (or+2)

thx
fish

Seriously you need to get it together, do you work and pay real bills?

That's your criticism? That I need to "get it together"? Why don't you tell me what you disagree with. Do you think we should get rid of all consumer protection laws?

Let's hear your real arguments and opinions instead of a throwaway comment like you made.

I think he was talking to fish...who is honestly just annoying, and the epitome of why many people hate Americans, you give honest working people a bad name. So you call people names, expect things to be handed to you on a silver platter, and spam this thread with your bs? Get real..

solorca

Reaction score
Reading this thread makes me wonder how logical, sane people can look at a situation and everyone immediately picks a side, and they both have very valid points.

I just can't believe how many people are taking Verizon's side. It's obviously an honest mistake, from a customer service point of view would you lose a loyal customer over 618 bucks?.

I don't think anyone is saying that they should lose the customer over the charges. In all honesty, they probably should work with him to correct the issue.

Where I have issue however, is the sense of entitlement that the OP has regarding this, when it was obviously his mother's fault.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You are a fanboy,
LOL. You misspelled "fanboi." If you can't even get the insults correct, why bother?

From urbandictionary.com, which is the authority on this:

Deliberate mispelling of the word 'fanboy'

I notice they mispelled misspelling.

Anyway, if you have to attack someone's grammar or spelling to try to win, you're argument is weak.

mikes

Reaction score
If you say so. But, if they're the authority, why did you have to use the 3rd definition, which has less than 1/3 the "authority" (urbandictionary.com is, after all, an open, unrefereed popularity contest) of the first, to try and make your point?

Seems it flew right over your head - instead of making any sort of reasonable or even logical argument, the OP just started in with an ad hominem attack, something which in the past was against the rules here, but apparently no longer.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
At the grocery store they tell you your total and you can put stuff back.

The difference is you havent used the products yet you "Dolt"

At the autoshop, by law, they must give you an estimate before doing work.

They do give you est. on Verizonwireless.com and as well as your plan. ".45 cents a minute over and 1 penny a kb."

Why are we letting the wireless carriers surprise us like in the case of $18000 over 2 months? Answer: industry lobbyists.

Because someone cant control their kid, the company is wrong?

In case it got lost in the shuffle, here's a thread that tells you how you can stand up for yourself and fight back:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ments-fcc-anti-bill-shock-policy-act-now.html

The FCC started a 45 day period on May 11. Tell them what you think about "bill shock". Your voice can be heard, but not for much longer.

Seriously you need to get it together, do you work and pay real bills?

Ah, I just noticed your little comments there. You should highlight stuff like that so people can see.

Here's my response. And I'll try not to call you names.

The difference is you havent used the products yet you "Dolt"

You haven't used the products yet at the grocery store. You're right. That has nothing to do with consumer protection. The point is that they give you a chance to say no. No, I don't want to spend that. Consumer protection is needed in industries where a company is in a position of power and they abuse that power. For example, auto shops must give an estimate before doing work.

They do give you est. on Verizonwireless.com and as well as your plan. ".45 cents a minute over and 1 penny a kb."

You're missing the point that consumer protection is needed. An autoshop has $90/hour on a sign on the wall. If no estimate was required, they could rack up charges without you knowing. Luckily, there's a law.

Because someone cant control their kid, the company is wrong?

The OP's mom is a kid? We're not talking about controlling kids. We're talking about preventing abuse by a large corporation.

By the way, if this was a real world argument instead of a discussion board, I'd be a lot less nice to you for calling me a dolt. I'll leave it at that.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Entitlements... if you met me, you would know I am the MOST ANTI-entitlement person that you could ever meet. I look at it this way, and a winning argument for me with Verizon (OP take notice). If you notify Verizon ahead of time you can set up international roaming for $60 and get a credit for unused time. If you don't notify Verizon it cost $600! $60 or $600... based on a prior notification. Do you think Verizon has ANY more or ANY less actual dollars in cost for that same exact service. No they do not. If you claim this hardship on every vacation, I say it is on you. But for one time, I say it is customer service 101 to take care of it.

jozhua

Reaction score
Ill make it as simple as possible for you. You work a union job, you make 20 dollars an hr. On contract you get paid overtime for anything over 40 hrs, 30 dollars. The company says we need you 11 hrs ot this week, you then provide that service, and then the company says my bad, we really didn't need u, even though its in the contract n we have to pay u, we aren't. Is that fair? Would u give the money back?

lol! How on earth you can compare a collective of workers organized to protect their interests to one soul is beyond me. Your scenario would've worked better with a contractor not getting paid for a service.

Of coarse its not fair. I'm not even saying the OP is in the right. I guess maybe some of you have been on phone forums too long to realize not everyone knows the ins & outs of everything their device is doing. I have a very tolerant attitude towards knowing new technology and I learn new things everyday. IMO, Verizon should "be a person" in this instance and give the OP a freebie. This business practice seems far too predatory to me and I can't really get on board with that.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you say so. But, if they're the authority, why did you have to use the 3rd definition, which has less than 1/3 the "authority" (urbandictionary.com is, after all, an open, unrefereed popularity contest) of the first, to try and make your point?

Seems it flew right over your head - instead of making any sort of reasonable or even logical argument, the OP just started in with an ad hominem attack, something which in the past was against the rules here, but apparently no longer.

You're still arguing about the spelling of fanboy.

"It" flew over my head? How so? Why don't you explain it to me? Why don't you talk about the issue at hand while you're at it? Forum rules...3rd definition...

jozhua

Reaction score
Entitlements... if you met me, you would know I am the MOST ANTI-entitlement person that you could ever meet. I look at it this way, and a winning argument for me with Verizon (OP take notice). If you notify Verizon ahead of time you can set up international roaming for $60 and get a credit for unused time. If you don't notify Verizon it cost $600! $60 or $600... based on a prior notification. Do you think Verizon has ANY more or ANY less actual dollars in cost for that same exact service. No they do not. If you claim this hardship on every vacation, I say it is on you. But for one time, I say it is customer service 101 to take care of it.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel.

VIRominoff

Reaction score
This story is way too old for Verizon to keep falling for it... smart phones have been around too long... people have been trying to use this as an excuse to rip verizon off forever... so maybe you made a mistake... how do they know that?? You're just the next call in line that wants something for free and they DID try and help you...

It's the story of two worlds colliding... smart phones are being produced and marketed towards a whole new group of people who are'nt ready for smartphones...

I was thinking when I read the original post about using the phone as a timepiece the whole trip... I thought "aw no way... you gadda turn it off... that's just a given!"... after all the instructions given by verizon and all the options they include.. like airplane mode .. why would all verizon phones have airplane mode if they were trying to rip you off??

It's like driving a rent-a-car out of the lot and plowing into the the nearest tree because you didn't know the brake pedal was the one on the left... "can I get another car and pretend that didn't happen??.. I know better now"

ignorance of how to operate your equipment doesn't get you free stuff...

And ignorance is not stupidity... it just means "you didn't know"... and that's ok... sometimes lessons learned are expensive..

Read your users guides people
And terms of use agreements
That's what they are there for...

This should have been on the first page. I can't believe this is 9 pages...

the first thing I thought was.

Yeah...VZW could have handled that better...
at the same time WTF? I didn't ask the dealer to teach me how to drive my car. I don't ask HP to teach me windows...

Your mom made a mistake. So you need to grow up and either A: make a deal B: pay it and drop service.

WTF is up with this idea that because it's a large company they just throw away money? Now if a CSR lied that's one thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.