Going on a cruise? Make sure to turn your phone off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikes

Reaction score
Don't argue over the 'uninformed knowledge' bit,
Well, I suppose an idiot could sue on that basis. But, VZW is very clear about roaming, so anyone who can read simple English has been informed:
What Are Roaming Charges?

You're "roaming" whenever your wireless device uses a transmission site outside your Coverage Area or uses another company's wireless network. Sometimes roaming happens even when you're within your Coverage Area. There may be higher rates and extra charges (including charges for long distance, tolls or calls that don't connect) for roaming calls, depending on your Plan. - VZW contract

Every phone sold by Verizon includes an indication when it is roaming. The Droid (and, I suspect, other smartphones) provides a setting to prevent data connections when roaming. Additionally, anyone with at least the intelligence of an elementary school student would know that their "Nationwide" plan doesn't include service outside the US.

VZW is also clear about Cruise Ship Coverage -
Voice Roaming Rate: $2.49 per minute
GlobalAccess Pay Per Use Rate: $0.02/KB ($20.48/MB)
It makes perfect sense that cruise ship rates would be considerably higher than most other roaming rates. When VZW enters into a roaming agreement with another provider which has customers, then the roaming provides an advantage to both operators, since both sets of customers are getting extended capabilities. Cruise ship operators, however, don't have cellular customers, so VZW isn't providing any reciprocity. The cruise ships are doing it, and paying for their investment, based solely on what they charge outside customers who chose to roam on their system. Those customers aren't incremental revenue for the cell system, they're the only revenue. Perhaps someone should sue the cruise lines for not including cellular service in their "all inclusive" fares?:icon_rolleyes:

If someone has "nationwide" coverage, yet choses to take their phone outside their coverage area, choses to leave it on, choses to ignore the "Roaming" indication on the phone, choses to avoid making any one of multiple settings which prevent roaming charges, and choses to ignore the contractual warning and published rates, they're responsible for the charges they incur. Any attempt to avoid that is just reprobative.

solorca

Reaction score
Here's the big question...did the mother have widgets that continued to pull background data? Did she have programs that continued to update? When she checked the time, did she have a widget that updated her on the weather?

Weather she intended to use those things or not, the fact is, they were provided and they used data.

snappingfish

Reaction score
well, FanBoi

Don't argue over the 'uninformed knowledge' bit,
Well, I suppose an idiot could sue on that basis. But, VZW is very clear about roaming, so anyone who can read simple English has been informed:
What Are Roaming Charges?

You're "roaming" whenever your wireless device uses a transmission site outside your Coverage Area or uses another company's wireless network. Sometimes roaming happens even when you're within your Coverage Area. There may be higher rates and extra charges (including charges for long distance, tolls or calls that don't connect) for roaming calls, depending on your Plan. - VZW contract
Every phone sold by Verizon includes an indication when it is roaming. The Droid (and, I suspect, other smartphones) provides a setting to prevent data connections when roaming. Additionally, anyone with at least the intelligence of an elementary school student would know that their "Nationwide" plan doesn't include service outside the US.

VZW is also clear about Cruise Ship Coverage -
Voice Roaming Rate: $2.49 per minute
GlobalAccess Pay Per Use Rate: $0.02/KB ($20.48/MB)
It makes perfect sense that cruise ship rates would be considerably higher than most other roaming rates. When VZW enters into a roaming agreement with another provider which has customers, then the roaming provides an advantage to both operators, since both sets of customers are getting extended capabilities. Cruise ship operators, however, don't have cellular customers, so VZW isn't providing any reciprocity. The cruise ships are doing it, and paying for their investment, based solely on what they charge outside customers who chose to roam on their system. Those customers aren't incremental revenue for the cell system, they're the only revenue. Perhaps someone should sue the cruise lines for not including cellular service in their "all inclusive" fares?:icon_rolleyes:

If someone has "nationwide" coverage, yet choses to take their phone outside their coverage area, choses to leave it on, choses to ignore the "Roaming" indication on the phone, choses to avoid making any one of multiple settings which prevent roaming charges, and choses to ignore the contractual warning and published rates, they're responsible for the charges they incur. Any attempt to avoid that is just reprobative.

All you need to do is instruct your pleebs at the local VZW store, to make sure and iterate that for all customers shopping for smart phones. Otherwise, it would be a surprise to lots of folks who think that unlimited, means UNLIMITED. And as for your innnuendo regarding any moron, shorten up, Gus. Some of us just know (ethics, morality, etc) right from wrong, and don't like your cheap hustle! FanBoy! But, if you post your bosses email, all of us will write him a note expousing your (non) virtue, and your commitment to making the company even MORE money!

doublejack

Reaction score
Winner! You got it.

Look, all valid points. When I was on the phone I was completely transparent with the fact that I understood that the phone was pulling data.

The reality is, these phones are being used by normal people, not just dorks who live on web forums. This is where I take issue. When I explained the circumstances, as a long time customer, I believe that I should have been taken care of. If not, then fine. I will take my business elsewhere.

Dude. You are admitting that you know the phone pulled data, thus the charges are legitimate. What fantasy world do you live in where a company that incurred cost because of a customer's actions are supposed to eat it and waive the charge?

Sorry, man. I don't care if you were with Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile or Joe's-cell-company... your mom's phone used data while internationally roaming. End of story. It is no different that someone who has a 300 minute plan and racks up a $400 bill because they used 1,000 minutes. Oops. Learn from the mistake and move on.

snappingfish

Reaction score
but intent counts, TOO!

Here's the big question...did the mother have widgets that continued to pull background data? Did she have programs that continued to update? When she checked the time, did she have a widget that updated her on the weather?

Weather she intended to use those things or not, the fact is, they were provided and they used data.

If you, with no prior knowledge, don't know to disable whatever might be sucking up your data 9dollars) then, I think that is something that should have been explained to you, either when you bought the phone/service, or in a warning IM or email. The company KNOWS, and counts, on people just blindly paying, even if it is not their CHOICE, nor DESIRE to utilize any app that would drain the pocketbook.

I KNOW that there are appliances in YOUR home that you have not read the manual for, as well as aspects of your auto, your ski-doo, and whatever...... People USED to read manuals until the company (1)QUIT furnishing them, and instead told you to go online to read about the features of your item, and (2) realized that the increase in revenue would be staggering if they didn't provide these how-to Manuals.

Its just the truth....hardly anyone has the time to find the website, sign up, find the link, then read about every gadget they own. Heck, people don't even have the time to update all of their time management tools. LOL

snappingfish

Reaction score
I think you're WRONG!

Winner! You got it.

Look, all valid points. When I was on the phone I was completely transparent with the fact that I understood that the phone was pulling data.

The reality is, these phones are being used by normal people, not just dorks who live on web forums. This is where I take issue. When I explained the circumstances, as a long time customer, I believe that I should have been taken care of. If not, then fine. I will take my business elsewhere.

Dude. You are admitting that you know the phone pulled data, thus the charges are legitimate. What fantasy world do you live in where a company that incurred cost because of a customer's actions are supposed to eat it and waive the charge?

Sorry, man. I don't care if you were with Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile or Joe's-cell-company... your mom's phone used data while internationally roaming. End of story. It is no different that someone who has a 300 minute plan and racks up a $400 bill because they used 1,000 minutes. Oops. Learn from the mistake and move on.

I think that the device should have had a block from international usage of any kind, that needed to be activated by the user, after going through a sign-up page that explained the charges and liabilities. Hey, if the small app dev's can place a page on any app or widget you download that states that "this app might conflict with XXXX app" Then it would be easy for VZW to make you accept liability for the noted internat'l travel expenses. What other than greed would keep Verizon, OR Joes cell from helping, rather than gouging their customers? Also, I think you referred to the OP as having knowledge re the roaming, but that doesn't mean his mother also has knowledge!

ipawd1

Reaction score
OK.. I"M going on a cruise (Carnival) in July.. So if the cruise ship offers Wifi on the ship...Do I have the option of turning on WiFi and putting the phone in airplane mode?

Or so I do like one of the other posts..and pay the $60.00 for the one bar?

Basically I planned on uploading photos to Picasa...and/or tetering if possible...

I know the fees to use the internet on the shop are crazy

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK.. I"M going on a cruise (Carnival) in July.. So if the cruise ship offers Wifi on the ship...Do I have the option of turning on WiFi and putting the phone in airplane mode?

Or so I do like one of the other posts..and pay the $60.00 for the one bar?

Basically I planned on uploading photos to Picasa...and/or tetering if possible...

I know the fees to use the internet on the shop are crazy

Yes, you can put it in airplane mode and use WiFi. You will be fine.

mikes

Reaction score
Actually, no. Airplane mode turns off all the radios, including 802.11 (try it). You can go into settings and disable data roaming, though.

OP
S

swaldrop

Reaction score
Actually, no. Airplane mode turns off all the radios, including 802.11 (try it). You can go into settings and disable data roaming, though.
What? you didn't know the proper way to use your device on a cruise ship? And you call yourself a Droid forum moderator...

That is just reprobative...

That was really hard to type.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

Right, but I think you can turn on WIFI after you turn on airplane mode. Weird, but I think it works.

jozhua

Reaction score
Remember: We've all been uninformed users at some point in our lives. Just look at the 3 posts above ;)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What? you didn't know the proper way to use your device on a cruise ship? And you call yourself a Droid forum moderator...

No. You can use airplane mode and wifi. I'm not wrong about this. Try it yourself.

OP
S

swaldrop

Reaction score

No. You can use airplane mode and wifi. I'm not wrong about this. Try it yourself.
Thems just jokes Bill. I could give a rip at this point as it is not now, and has never been, the point.

MtnMarty

Reaction score
Hookbill is of course right. I tried this myself this morning to verify that you could use Fring to get around the use of wifi only to make Skype calls. First, I turned on Airplane Mode, than turned wifi back on. Then I was able to make Skype calls via Fring.

Status
Not open for further replies.