Going International, needs advice

TJConnery

Reaction score
So rather unexpectedly, I am going to Europe for a month, which was one of the reasons I bought the D2G in December. I have rooted the phone, flashed it to fission 2.4.3, and grown quite fond of using the wireless tether (for root users) to connect my Xoom and avoid further data charges. I hope to replicate this in Europe, but not sure the best way to do it.

I understand you can call Verizon and get an unlock code for you sim, but what does that do? Allow you to put a int'l sim that you buy once you get abroad?

My company pays my Verizon bill, so I am not so price sensitive, but I want to be able sure that I will have access to voice and a substantial amount of data while I am over.

Any advice?

OP
T

TJConnery

Reaction score
SIM Lock

Do I still need to do this if I have rooted the phone?

Under "set up SIN card lock", "Lock SIM card" is unchecked. Does this mean I am unlocked, or does this do something else, say require you to enter a pin # before you make a call?

It just seems to me that it can't be as easy as swapping out SIM cards. I saw quite a few posts on this and other forums from guys who got overseas and found out their phones were not global after all.

Can some one who was done this just post a word or two so I can be 100% sure I have access when I arrive?

OP
T

TJConnery

Reaction score
Some progress..

So I called VZW and got my 2 unlock codes and was told how to use them.

I was told that the VZW hotspot would not work with the foreign SIM, but does that also mean that Wireless tether for root users will not work either?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Wireless tether should still work.

Just make sure you unlock the device before leaving the US.

OP
T

TJConnery

Reaction score
Follow-up

Wireless tether should still work.

Just make sure you unlock the device before leaving the US.

The VZW rep told me to enter the SIM lock codes only after I have inserted the foreign SIM. Unless I can buy one at the airport, how do I do that?

I am missing something here. What exactly do you mean by "unlock your device?"

Many thanks for your help.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I would double check on what the rep told you. There are a lot of people trying to unlock the device once they are overseas and VZW is telling them it needs to be done while in the US.

Unlock = Allowing it to be used with a foreign SIM.

OP
T

TJConnery

Reaction score
SIM unlock

I would double check on what the rep told you. There are a lot of people trying to unlock the device once they are overseas and VZW is telling them it needs to be done while in the US.

Let me clarify my question:

VZW told me that you put the SIM codes in when you are prompted, which will happen only after you insert the new SIM. How can I invoke the SIM unlock prompt state side without the new SIM?

Where in Settings can I invoke this unlock procedure?

Also, I will call VZW back to see if I get a consistent message.

Thanks again. I just don't wont the drag the Xoom over there if I don't have mobile web access via wifi hotspot. Don't want to rely on unsecure networks in coffee shops and hotels.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I'm just passing on what I have heard about the unlocking nightmare some have had.

zero7404

Reaction score
they require you have the foreign sim in the phone at the time of unlocking, so if you don't have one, i would say that they can surrender the codes to you and you can unlock the sim yourself when you are overseas with the foreign sim inserted.

there is a possibility the codes will not work, aka, there may be a 3rd code that must be generated. no way to tell until you try unlocking the phone with the first 2 codes. i experienced this when i tried to unlock the phone and had the foreign sim in it. there is confirmation that a turbosim (sim unlock device) will unlock the phone, so you may want to go that route ...

if you get a prepaid sim with data, you should be able to use wireless tether with the xoom to do ur business in the same manner as you have been. but i would watch my data usage if the card you get doesn't have unlimited data.

Last edited:

zero7404

Reaction score

Let me clarify my question:

VZW told me that you put the SIM codes in when you are prompted, which will happen only after you insert the new SIM. How can I invoke the SIM unlock prompt state side without the new SIM?

Where in Settings can I invoke this unlock procedure?

Also, I will call VZW back to see if I get a consistent message.

Thanks again. I just don't wont the drag the Xoom over there if I don't have mobile web access via wifi hotspot. Don't want to rely on unsecure networks in coffee shops and hotels.

i don't believe there is a way to invoke the unlock process without the foreign sim inserted. other method would be to get a turbosim and try that.

for me, i had done this process within the 30 days of purchase because i heard of issues. so i was able to exchange for a new device and called global support to get the new one unlocked on the spot @ verizon when i got the new replacement. after 30 days, it's a refurb replacement if you have a problem with your phone.

OP
T

TJConnery

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks. I will check out turbosim as a back up.

For some reason, I thought installing fission would also unlck the sim, but I must be confusing the process of unlocking the bootloader as part of that process.

silver6054

Reaction score
Thanks. I will check out turbosim as a back up.

For some reason, I thought installing fission would also unlck the sim, but I must be confusing the process of unlocking the bootloader as part of that process.

Right, several "locks" going on! In particular, do not select SIM Lock from the menu. This is a GSM feature that establishes a PIN, which the user must enter e before making a call (so if someone steals the SIM, they cannot use it in another phone).

As others have said, the prompt to enter the code will only appear when you enter a foreign SIM. This can be done in or outside the US, and hopefully your codes will work....

apollyon0810

Reaction score
I've never done this with a D2G, but I did unlock my old BlackBerry with Verizon before I went overseas. I used my phone in the UK, Nederlands, Germany, Kuwait, UAE, Iraq and Saudi Arabia without any problems. A majority of the time I was on the NL Vodafone network, but keep in mind I was still using the provided Verizon SIM card. I didn't use a local SIM, but I did unlock mine thru Verizon if I wanted. On the blackberry I just had to pull up the soft keyboard and enter some characters to get the unlock screen to come up and then I entered the code they gave me. No need to have a foreign SIM inserted.

Since your company pays the bills, I won't mention the $900 phone bill I got from talking too much in Iraq. Damn GPR networks are expensive. Leave the Verizon SIM in if you want good coverage. Vodafone will have you covered just about anywhere in the western world.