Going from Liberty GB to CM7

theDL

Reaction score
So I'm currently running a nightly of Liberty Gingerbread (v0.7) on my D2, and I'd like to try CM7. Can I go straight from Liberty GB to CM7 since my kernel is updated for Gingerbread? Or do I have to SBF? I know that I will have to wipe the data and cache. Sorry if I got any of that wrong, I know almost nothing (read: noob) and have just been trying to read stuff to learn :p
Thanks

pressguy27

Reaction score
You will have to sbf back to froyo to run cm because it uses the froyo kernel

Sent from my Droid2 using HoneyCream CM7

OP
T

theDL

Reaction score
oh does it really? ok thanks

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
He doesn't have to SBF back to Froyo. Let me get you the steps to do it without SBFing back to Froyo.

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Here you go. Just follow instructions on this link: (see my cleaned up version of instructions below)

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/d...metickone.html

Gapps link:

http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip

Let me clean the instructions up for you a bit....

- Download the CM7 zip file
- once done, change that CM7 zip file name to update.zip
- delete update.zip if you have it on the root of your SD Card and put that new update.zip on there
- download gapps zip and put on root of SD Card
- go to mounts and storage
- format system
- format data
- format cache
- mount system
- go back
- go to apply update from zip
- select the D2-CM7-test7.zip (the one that was renamed to update.zip)
- install
- go back and select install zip from sd card
- select gapps zip
- install
- reboot

Note: Do not reboot after you flash CM7. Stay in recovery and flash gapps zip right after it is done installing CM7.

After you are all done with that, get your phone to settle down and apps restored from the Market. Reboot your phone one more time before the next step (possible radio error).

Once back on... do the following...

Download latest build from here (if you don't have ROM Manager Premium app)...

CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution

Place latest build on root of SD Card or in a custom folder

Make sure you have the Gapps zip still on root of SD Card or in a custom folder

Hold Power button down, click Reboot, click Recovery.

When you flash latest build this is all you have to do:

- Go into Recovery
- Wipe Cache Partition
- Wipe Dalvik Cache
- Flash CM7 Build 16 zip
- Flash Gapps zip
- Reboot

Note: Once on CM7 for the first time, do not use Koush's Bootstrap anymore. Just hold the Power button down, click Reboot, click Recovery to get into Recovery to flash nightlies.

Last edited:
OP
T

theDL

Reaction score
wow thanks so much. I'll do that and let you know how it goes. By the way, are the nightlies that much better than the stable version?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
wow thanks so much. I'll do that and let you know how it goes. By the way, are the nightlies that much better than the stable version?

There is currently no stable version for the D2, but the nightlies have been stable for me.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
T

theDL

Reaction score
Got it up and running and loving it :) thank you everyone for your help. special thanks to TheSwagger

Mike Lazaga

Reaction score
I am currently running Liberty GB v.09 and thinking about trying CM7. I have downloaded the CM7 file and gapps file. Can I use Astro file manager to rename CM7 file ? and how do I replace the current update.zip with the new one. Sorry for all the questions. Been on liberty so long finally want to try something new. Thanks

Nevermind. I think I got it. Thanks for the instructions.

Last edited:

havens1515

Reaction score
It doesn't actually have to be called "update.zip". You can select "Choose zip from SD Card" and choose a zip with any name, so renaming is unnecessary.

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
It doesn't actually have to be called "update.zip". You can select "Choose zip from SD Card" and choose a zip with any name, so renaming is unnecessary.

The source of info, that I obtained my instructions from, clearly recommended doing it the "update.zip" way the first time flashing to CM7 from another ROM. After that, it's no longer required.

CM7... it's what James Bond never had.

ILikeWaffles

Reaction score
When loading this I got an error something like this...

blah blah blah
Installing RADIO
error (Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I tried it the update.zip way and install from sd card way. Was getting that error no matter what. So I stayed in CMR the whole time thinking of what to do. Then I flashed the monster GB leak and same thing happened.

I then went back to flashing the CM7 file and still got the error. So I just rebooted and everything seems fine. Radio works fine. Any ideas?

havens1515

Reaction score

The source of info, that I obtained my instructions from, clearly recommended doing it the "update.zip" way the first time flashing to CM7 from another ROM. After that, it's no longer required.

CM7... it's what James Bond never had.

I have never named my zip file "update.zip" when installing ANY ROM, and I have never had any problems.