Going from Charger to PC

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by db83, Dec 3, 2009.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. db83

db83 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On the motorola droid, how do you go from wall charging to connecting to the PC through usb? I wanted to put some music on my droid, but the thought of having to dismantle my charging setup and plugging it into the pc, and then going back when I want to charge while the computer is off is rather annoying to me. How do you guys get around this?
  2. adam8ch

adam8ch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    buy some extra usb cables. monoprice.com has the best prices
  3. bkavanaugh

bkavanaugh New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I always just charge through USB. I've only used the wall charger when I'm on the road.
  4. Sidewind

Sidewind Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There are some Wifi apps that let you transfer files on your network just cant remember the names of them
  5. tomlist704

tomlist704 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a backup charger for $2.99 online. These are generic and you can pick them up a Walmart, TJ MAX, Target for about $7-10. I made the mistake and but my memory card in my PC which created another area on the card for storage and then when I used the USB, it created double.
  6. ZeRo_C0oL

ZeRo_C0oL Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dismantle your charger? It's a friggin' USB cable! lol.

As others said, just go to monoprice.com and buy a few extra 10' usb cables.
  7. cuskit

cuskit Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you had any issues with this charger? I've been reading here that the cheaper ones cause problems. And if it's fine (I'm assuming it is) can you post where you purchased one for that price? I work out of three locations, one with a computer so the usb cable is fine for that. I leave the ac charger at home bedside. But I need a third ac charger and don't want to pay the VZW price if I have a cheaper alternative.

mike
  8. 928Droid

928Droid Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can you transfer files with Bluetooth?? I ordered a few BT2.1 USB Dongles in hopes I can do this wirelessly at my home and office.
  9. db83

db83 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    can someone confirm/deny that cheaper USB cables can cause damage? The one that came with the droid seems considerably thicker than any USB cables I've used before.
  10. Trip

Trip Member

Ratings:
    +0
    928Droid, EStrongs File Explorer lets you set up computers on your WiFi network and copy files that way, its here...
    [​IMG]
    in the marketplace.

There are plenty of other options as well, look for file transfer or bluetooth file transfer in the market, you'll get plenty of hits.

DB83, you probably wont have any problems with USB cables, the USB port puts out a much smaller amount of power than the wall charger, I would not use a generic cable with the wall plug for charging, stick with the one that came with the phone for that, thats why its a thicker cable, to handle the extra power from the wall charger.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  11. ZeRo_C0oL

ZeRo_C0oL Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's just bad information.

ANY usb cable will be fine so long as it's male usb to micro usb. The thickness is irrelevant. What you need to be concerned with is that it's a 1000mA wall adapter, or it won't work. Many sites sell 500mA wall adapters, and it's not going to allow the phone to charge. Regardless, using a non-OEM cable is NOT going to damage your phone. They all do the same damn thing.
  12. tripp racioppi

tripp racioppi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i'm not sure what the issue is here...i recently loaded photographs from my PC to the Droid, no problems... i had just disconnected the USB connector from the transformer plug and hooked it up to the PC...then did the "safely remove hardware" procedure to disconnect the Droid from the PC. then reconnected the USB cable to the transformer plug and pressed on...

r3
  13. Erich_F

Erich_F Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Get the home dock, plug into wall, set Droid into Dock. What in the world are you "dismantling?"

Why is this thing so hard for some people to use?

RTFM.
  14. TheOldFart

TheOldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    It does not have to be 1000ma. The one that comes with the Droid is 850ma and the Verizon branded travel charger that Verizon recommends for the Droid is 800ma, which works fine.
  15. ZeRo_C0oL

ZeRo_C0oL Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't seen any generic 800mA cables anywhere. MonoPrice offers 500mA and 1000mA. 1000mA works great.