Going back to 1.3.25 (FroYo) on Droid 1

bleepbloop

Reaction score
No offense to all the hours the developers have put in porting MIUI to the OG Droid 1 but I'm really struggling after attempting to using versions of 1.4.15 and 1.5.13 on my phone for a few weeks... I'm just curious, bugs and glitches aside, is MIUI really going to work on a Droid 1 given it's limited memory and resources? I feel like the Gingerbread incarnations are designed to run on the newer phones, and that seems to be what Mark has been posting about on MIUIAndroid.com.

I consider myself a pretty heavy phone user... 2000+ minutes of phone calls a month, but plenty of data usage. I switch between about 10-12 apps regularly.... including PHONE / VERIZON VOICEMAIL / FACEBOOK / TEXTING / BROWSER / YELP / NAVIGATION / CAMERA / GALLERY / MUSIC PLAYER. I love the look of MIUI in Gingerbread and appreciate some of the additional functionality that it comes with, but I find myself needing to toggle the data connection constantly when too many programs have been run in order to restore my data connection, and as a result, it's rendered the phone totally unreliable.

And I worry about the comments about the latest version. Just curious... is the general feeling that MIUI is still hella BETA and generally unstable at this point for Droid but there's a light at the end of the tunnel? Or is it basically screwed for Droid because of the system requirements needing a more robust phone?

I guess the good thing is I'm due for a new phone in July since my Droid is nearly two years old. But I hate to give it up considering how solid it's been to date...

bloodstains

Reaction score
I've been wondering the same thing, trying to load a new ROM on my phone and at this point I just want something basic and reliable. Was looking into MIUI because it seems to have a lot of users, but I don't think I want Gingerbread. Seems like it's pushing it too far.

Trying to run Sourcery on there now, it was good for a few weeks but now it takes forever to do anything on. Thinking about going back to Froyo Bugless just because I knew that worked relatively well for me.

bloodstains

Reaction score
Also just curious - you say you're eligible for a new phone in July. How does that work? Didn't the D1's come out in November or so of 2009? I've been trying to hold out til November to get my New Every Two. Can you cash it in early?

Axium

Reaction score
Also just curious - you say you're eligible for a new phone in July. How does that work? Didn't the D1's come out in November or so of 2009? I've been trying to hold out til November to get my New Every Two. Can you cash it in early?

i think they give it to you a few months early, i think my full new every two discount goes thru like 4 months early

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Just curious... is the general feeling that MIUI is still hella BETA and generally unstable at this point for Droid but there's a light at the end of the tunnel? Or is it basically screwed for Droid because of the system requirements needing a more robust phone?

I used to be a rom swapper constantly switching back and forth between each devs new releases. With the transition to GB, I found that I stuck mostly with Cyanogenmod because most other roms used their source as a base to tweak or add features / options. Since I started porting for Miui, I have stopped rom hopping. My droid has not been perfect, but it has been as stable as any Froyou Miui or CyanogenMod 7. There are weekly issues, like the contacts issue on 1.5.6, but for the most part I believe Miui is getting better.

I have not had any 3G dropped issues. I know that some people have them, but my phone has been great since CVPCS fix was added. The only negative issue that I have seen with GB is that if I have music playing in the background and I try to open multiple apps, the music player is killed. I don't have music playing in the background while I do other things typically, so this doesn't really affect me.

There are definite limits to the D1 and I believe that we have hit them with GB. If Ice Cream Sandwich has any higher requirements than GB, then I don't see it ever being squeezed onto this phone.

So when you ask is Miui eventually going to be usable on the D1, I would say that my experience is that Miui for the D1 is usable as a daily driver now. I know there are people that have had issues, and I honestly have no idea why they are and I haven't. Try a fresh install with wiping 3x and reinstall all of your apps from the market. Yes, I know that is time consuming, but it may give you the stability you are looking for.

BTW, No offense was taken, and I am not trying to say that the bug reports are not real. I am only saying that my experience is quite different.

Last edited:

ItsTrentB

Reaction score
I'd like to throw in my two cents about MiUi. The moment I put this on my phone, I instantly HAD to have it. It's so different than almost ANY Rom i had. To be honest, I have had very minimal problems. YES you can't have a million (sarcastic, but really 10-15) apps running at one time but who does? Then it will go ultra slow. I moved most of my apps to SD card anyways so it helps out. I get occasional force closes when mix matching theme parts but I can work around that. I realized just today, I cant have any other kernel but the stock kernel on MY phone. No two phones are alike but stock kernel makes everything SNAPPY and FAST on my phone. No slowness. I tried Deprimed, Chevy, etc, No good for me.

My point: IMO, this is the best gingerbread ROM for MY phone. There hasn't been any dealbreaker for me on this rom yet. And I don't think there ever will be until my upgrade in August. Im only gunna upgrade if my droid just completely goes out. I love this phone but could use the extra memory as well.

So yeah, try wiping 3x like he said. it makes a difference to me. Everyone's experience and phones are different.....

Anathema

Reaction score
I accepted that MIUI is a perminant beta rom on most devices and is really a alpha rom for the d1 IMO.

We all know too well though, that once you have experience MIUI...no other rom will give you the same yearning for more.

PARick

Reaction score
No offense to all the hours the developers have put in porting MIUI to the OG Droid 1 but I'm really struggling after attempting to using versions of 1.4.15 and 1.5.13 on my phone for a few weeks... I'm just curious, bugs and glitches aside, is MIUI really going to work on a Droid 1 given it's limited memory and resources? I feel like the Gingerbread incarnations are designed to run on the newer phones, and that seems to be what Mark has been posting about on MIUIAndroid.com.

I consider myself a pretty heavy phone user... 2000+ minutes of phone calls a month, but plenty of data usage. I switch between about 10-12 apps regularly.... including PHONE / VERIZON VOICEMAIL / FACEBOOK / TEXTING / BROWSER / YELP / NAVIGATION / CAMERA / GALLERY / MUSIC PLAYER. I love the look of MIUI in Gingerbread and appreciate some of the additional functionality that it comes with, but I find myself needing to toggle the data connection constantly when too many programs have been run in order to restore my data connection, and as a result, it's rendered the phone totally unreliable.

And I worry about the comments about the latest version. Just curious... is the general feeling that MIUI is still hella BETA and generally unstable at this point for Droid but there's a light at the end of the tunnel? Or is it basically screwed for Droid because of the system requirements needing a more robust phone?

I guess the good thing is I'm due for a new phone in July since my Droid is nearly two years old. But I hate to give it up considering how solid it's been to date...

I used to feel like you, then I tried Chevy's Simply Stunning 5.2. Best GingerBread ROM I could find. Everything on my phone worked flawlessly. I like to switch ROMs so I went back to MIUI to see if it improved. It is on my son's Incredible and I love the UI. Well, it has drastically improved. The only issue is my exchange email being inconsistent, and I think that will eventually be taken care of. So, I encourage you to exercise patience and I think the ROM will improve. FWIW, sine the improvements to the GB ROMs, I have no desire to switch phones. I love my D1...still!

bsm471

Reaction score
To be honest if you use your phone that much you probly shouldn't be in this forum... that's why its beta

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

overtwo

Reaction score
How about working on/improving/optimizing the Froyo releases a little more? I know 1.3.5 was rock solid on my phone, so why not continue development on Froyo? Like updating the UI to reflect the new GB MIUI releases? Maybe even adding some performance customization features? Or would MIUI China not like that?

Just some ideas i've been thinking of lately....

Edit: and also an option to use stock icons instead of the boxy iphone icons...? I know there are icon sets in theme manager but those are much smaller than what the stock icons 'should' look like...

Last edited:

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Everyone probably knows me as the guy who complains about gingerbread all the time. I absolutly love its speed and battery, but really just can't stand its functionality. I have gone on multiple GB roms, then back to froyo, then back to ginger, then back to froyo...

I now however am on the latest MIUI GB and sticking to it for now because it seems to be going rather well for me. Its not great and surely has its flaws and hiccups, but I LOVE how MIUI looks and I (for now) can put up with its flaws.

I am going on a long car trip soon and will need navigation, and all the voices in my head are telling me most GB roms including this one are going to be a nightmare for that. Even froyo MIUI was giving me reboot issues in navigation... rar... cant wait for a new new phone in a few months...

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
How about working on/improving/optimizing the Froyo releases a little more? I know 1.3.5 was rock solid on my phone, so why not continue development on Froyo? Like updating the UI to reflect the new GB MIUI releases? Maybe even adding some performance customization features?

This may be late in the game, but I signed in just to say the same thing, when I read what Overtwo wrote.

Why can't one of the Froyo roms be optimized? I would like to know how roms are made and changed, so that I could help in this effort. I'd like the Froyo rom to not be Beta anymore, but be stable. I don't plan on upgrading phones anytime soon, and I would love to keep using MIUI on MIDROID.