Going Android on Tuesday

xavierpunkreno

Reaction score
Hey first post. I currently have an iPhone 4. Had iPhones for the past few years and felt it's finally time for a taste of something new. I decided on sticking with AT&T and getting the SGSII. Having an iPhone, I'm used to just plugging in my phone and syncing everything so I have a backup. I'm assuming I could do that with Android also but does the application come with the phone or would I have to download it from a certain site? Also I'm looking for a good Android alternative for iBlacklist. I have a few numbers I block texts and calls from but I like to answer occasionally, which I can do from a 'spam' box full of the blocked messages. Is there an app on Android that can do this or as close to this as possible? Also, I use installous, not to pirate apps, but to give them a lengthy trial before buying. I know Android has a short return policy, but if I needed some extra time would there be an alternative to this as well? Any help would be awesome. Glad to be a part of this forum and hope to be for a long while.

Last edited by a moderator:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to DF!! Always happy to have an iPhone convert.

As far as the stuff you asked about. Backing up is not quite the same as just plugging in and it auto syncs. There are ways to back things up but it depends on what you want as far as how you do it. There are black list apps but not being familiar with iBlacklist I do not know if they are the same. And as far as apps there is no way to long term try them out, just the window you have.

Hope that helps at least a little!!

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! My friend went from the iPhone to the SGSII as well, but on sprint. Likes it a lot more! Much more freedom. To be truthful though, his battery life sucked until rooted. And even from there, it lasts about 20hrs or so versus his iPhone that did 2+ days similar to my Droid 3. But it sometimes varies from phone to phone.

JSM pretty much said it. Also when you root, you can create nandroid's and backup easily like that. And as an installous replacement, we can either just type the app we want in google, like, "Hanging with friends.apk download" or something, or download the app 4Shared from the market. However, DF's doesn't condone that I believe. You'll find you can do much more stock on Android then on a jailbroken iPhone.

OP
X

xavierpunkreno

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I've been looking into rooting as well. I'm going to run it a few days pre-root and see how my battery is. If it's bad I'll root it and get rid of some of the bloatware. Any recommendation for a rom for the GSII or should I stay stock?

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I booted up the Starburst ROM onto his phone cause he wanted something nice and simple since he's not into this stuff big.

But, for your phone.. EASILY the MIUI. Oh man, MIUI is amazing. The customization.. endless almost. Had it on my OG Droid, was waiting for it to come on Droid 3 but probably won't for a while and the G Nex will be my phone after this month.
{ROM} MIUI 1.10.21 {Updated on 10-27-11} - xda-developers

lizard

Reaction score
I use Advanced Call Blocker Pro for call/message blocking/filtering. Definately a full featured app. Can't remember if they have a free Lite Version or not.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
X

xavierpunkreno

Reaction score
I use Advanced Call Blocker Pro for call/message blocking/filtering. Definately a full featured app. Can't remember if they have a free Lite Version or not.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Money isn't that big of a deal. I paid for iblacklist so it'd be the same thing.