Going abroad with the Droid X

kerrypmcc

Reaction score
I have a droid X and I will be traveling abroad for 3 weeks. I do not have an international plan but I'm wondering what the functionality of the phone will be without it. Can I still use WiFi and GPS? Can I still use them if I leave it in airplane mode or is there a better way to prevent the phone from seeking a signal??

It's not a necessity that I have the phone but I am trying to asses whether or not I will be able to use it at all before I get there.

Thanks!

tennvol

Reaction score
Im pretty sure wifi would work

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

OP
K

kerrypmcc

Reaction score
I'll be in Greece and Italy. The odds of my having WiFi while i'm out in the streets are pretty slim...

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll be in Greece and Italy. The odds of my having WiFi while i'm out in the streets are pretty slim...
In the settings of android, look at the wireless & networks, then goto mobile networks. Uncheck data enabled. (in short: Settings/Wireless & network settings/Mobile networks/Data enabled) Unchecked your device wont search for any 3g service. Wifi will work, but not sure about how much coverage is their in Italy. Airplane mode shutsoff all incoming and outgoing connections, gps and wifi wont work with airplane mode. Gps will work without 3g but i would also check "Use wireless networks". Hope you have fun!

jnashr

Reaction score
In the settings of android, look at the wireless & networks, then goto mobile networks. Uncheck data enabled. (in short: Settings/Wireless & network settings/Mobile networks/Data enabled) Unchecked your device wont search for any 3g service. Wifi will work, but not sure about how much coverage is their in Italy. Airplane mode shutsoff all incoming and outgoing connections, gps and wifi wont work with airplane mode. Gps will work without 3g but i would also check "Use wireless networks". Hope you have fun!

After you put your X in airplane mode, you can go into wireless & networks and turn your wifi on......you can use airplane mode and wife at the same time (did this in the bahamas).