Going abroad - Can I use my phone?

schiefee

Reaction score
I'm going to South America for vacation in a few weeks and I am wondering if my phone will work strictly as a wifi device, like an ipod touch. I don't need to make calls, I just want to be able to check email and get on the internet. Has anyone done this? I know I can turn off the 3G, but is there a way to also turn off the phone call/messaging functions? I don't want to get socked with a roaming charge for recieving a text message or something while my phone is on...

Screwball

Reaction score
I'm going to South America for vacation in a few weeks and I am wondering if my phone will work strictly as a wifi device, like an ipod touch. I don't need to make calls, I just want to be able to check email and get on the internet. Has anyone done this? I know I can turn off the 3G, but is there a way to also turn off the phone call/messaging functions? I don't want to get socked with a roaming charge for recieving a text message or something while my phone is on...

Not sure how this would work but you could also try tapping from Home /menu/settings/Wireless & Networks/Mobile Networks and uncheck "Data roaming" . I have never tried it but I have this option always turned off.

Mojo

Reaction score
Screwball.. forgot about that option. Good advice! However, the OP is wanting to turn off all radios except WiFi so he can still use it with out paying tons of overage. The only way to do that is to put in airplane mode... then turn on your wifi. Nothing will work except the wifi radio ;)

Screwball

Reaction score
Screwball.. forgot about that option. Good advice! However, the OP is wanting to turn off all radios except WiFi so he can still use it with out paying tons of overage. The only way to do that is to put in airplane mode... then turn on your wifi. Nothing will work except the wifi radio ;)

Yea... I hear ya Mojo... your way is probably best for his application... and I'm sure he will use it... hope they got wifi down there! Just wanted to give an option... maybe help someone else as well. :)