Goin for the root! Some Q's

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Rocky_Droid, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Rocky_Droid

Rocky_Droid New Member

So I have a few question, namely while following the guide by Matth3w
    1. Everyone says make a backup but it seems as though he dives right in without and does the backup later in the process, that is ok to do right?
    2. I don't seem him saying that I should do a factory reset before rooting, is that something I should do?
    3. I want to install either Ultimate droid or BB but I'm not really sure what either has over each other. As in why this one is better than this one but this has this.
    4. Would anyone be willing to hold my hand while I do this? :)
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Since this is Matt3w's guide, pm him these questions.

Personally if I were you I'd go to www.droidmod.org and download dmupdater. But that's up to you.
  3. christim

christim DF Super Moderator

It goes like this: root, install sprecovery, create backup, install rom (look at my sig for a breakdown of this)

1) in order to create a backup you need to install sprecovery. In order to do that you need to be rooted.
    2) no need for the factory reset, follow the steps he has (its link 1 in my sig too) and follow them to the letter. Take your time and it will go just fine.
    3) All of the roms basically do the same thing. Go to the rom section of the forum and look at the first post for each one. Usuauly there is a list of included options. Wi-fi tethering, overclocking, swype included, or helix launcher included. Each one will be themed a little different too. And more importantly, if you don't care for the one you chose it is easy to go and swap in another. I'll tell you to use smoked glass, Matt will say Bugless Beast and Hook will say Droidmod. Use your gut, pick one with a good set of instructions, and we're here for you.
    4...see the end of 3 :)
  4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I agree with Christim's comments. I used Matt's process and was able to root and install Bugless Beast without any problems. I suggest that you print Matt's process and read it several times before you actually root. You can make notes, highlight areas that you feel uncomfortable with then post your question. Someone will be here to assist you with any problem.

Mike
  5. Rocky_Droid

Rocky_Droid New Member

Woo! That actually wasn't to hard :)
    Everything seems to be succesful. I went with Ultimate Droid for the time being. One kink that I couldn't find however, how do I get my contacts back?
  6. LtKen

LtKen New Member

They should be synced with your Google account. Just make sure your sync settings are setup to get your contacts. Settings < Accounts and Sync < Manage
  7. Rocky_Droid

Rocky_Droid New Member

Oh right on! Guessing I'll have to manually sync them back to facebook (for the icon pictures) But that's ok, everything looks totally worth it! Still working on getting overclocked
  8. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Keep going!
  9. Rocky_Droid

Rocky_Droid New Member

Awesome! I think everything is golden now! You guys certainly are supportive :D
    Two force restarts actually... hrmm.. maybe it's Over clocked to high or something
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  10. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Did you use my guide? Just curious? I just made it a little more clear in an updated first post that it wasn't JUST for Bugless Beast.

What kernel are you using?

sometimes I found that just restarting the phone a few times clears up any issues.
  11. Rocky_Droid

Rocky_Droid New Member

Yes I used your guide, quite clear and concise taking me straight from the beginning.
    I used Chevy's 10 slot 1.25ghz kernal. Currently running min 250 and max 1gig. Since then no restarts (after I moved from 1.25 to 1), although as you said after some reboots maybe I can put it back to 1.25ghz.

Btw, does overclocking so much kill the battery by quite a lot or just a little? The biggest improvement I've found is with browsing. Now I can go on forums without any lag :D
  12. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Actually should improve it, if you have the lowest settings when you aren't using the phone.
  13. Rocky_Droid

Rocky_Droid New Member

Lowest settings when in "sleep/standy" ? Maybe I should put the max to 125 in that then.

Oh and I stumbled into a bit of a problem. I defaulted to the 3D launcher, but now I can't get rid of the default as none of the Home apps are in the manage apps area.
    Edit: nvm forgot about the filter.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010