Go launcher ex memory hog

techgov8

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I use go launcher ex on my razr and it seems like it uses a lot of memory. Usually 31 to 36 mb. Could it be cause I use a lot of Widgets? I don't really want to change cause I just like the basic functions and I need to have the dock bar on the bottom be able to loop. If anyone knows of any suggestions or other smooth basic launchers that would be great. Thanks

BobC43

Reaction score
I just checked mine and I am using 18mb, not sure why the big difference.

OP
techgov8

techgov8

Reaction score
I just checked mine and I am using 18mb, not sure why the big difference.

I'm using 29mb right now and I have 10 widgets. It seems like a lot haha but they all have their purposes

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I usually run around 20mb on Go Launcher with my Razr - it never lags, so I don't usually worry about it...

~it's not just a phone~

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
I absolutely *love* Go Launcher EX. I had it on my Charge as well, and it made a world of difference.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I used to use GO Launcher EX but then I realized that I didn't want to use a home/launcher app with the permissions that it has. Even if I trust the company--which I don't--I don't need my launcher to have internet access. Having GO phone home is just a waste of resources, never mind the privacy issues.

The leaner, meaner approach is to use ADW. It's also apparent that GO took ADW's code and modified it. I have never seen them give any credit to ADW or supply their own source code in return. Since GO is basically a stolen, jacked up, bloated ADW I have to go with the original ADW.

OP
techgov8

techgov8

Reaction score
I don't like ADW cause I don't like the dock bar on the bottom. I like go launcher and launcher pros. Sometimes it slows my phone down and I have to restart go launcher

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
I wanted to stay with ADW my all time favorite but after about a week of use, lags so just went back to blur for now.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I've never experienced lag on ADW. It has always been right up there with the fastest for me. I don't know why it would lag after a week of use. I bet some other app was causing the lag.

The GO dock is slick but on ADW you can swipe up on the dock to reveal other apps. This secondary dock bar can be swiped right to left to reveal lots of other apps. For me, ADW works well enough especially when GO requires the Internet privilege and is altogether a shady organization in my opinion.

I'm also keeping an eye on the Nemus and Zeam launchers. They both need more features but they are usable and they don't require too many extra privileges. Specifically: no Internet privilege.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Your probably right about an app not playing nice with it. Just bought Adw ex since it seems to still being updated.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Oaklands

Reaction score
Strange how people have different issues. I have always liked Go Launcher better than ADW. However, I started using ADW on my Thrive Tablet as Go did not have a tablet version. I was using Go on my Razr then started having some really bad startup lag when turning the phone on.

I switched to ADW and the lag has gone away.