Go from rooted 2.0.1 to rooted 2.2 without wiping?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by rda990, Aug 17, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. rda990

rda990 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Right now I have a rooted 2.0.1 Droid that I rooted with the DroidMod app (DM Updater) and have no custom ROM installed (but do try some from time to time) but do have a custom kernel (think its a chevy one) all with SPRecovery. Now that verizon is sending 2.2 out,I want to upgrade now,but want to keep both SPRecovery and the DroidMod app thing and in the end have 2.2 rooted.All of that without having to flash a custom 2.2 image (since I would have to wipe all data to do that) so I would just like to update like verizon does it (without deleting data).Is it possible to do that?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  2. rda990

rda990 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Bump .

3. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Don't think so, Sorry. SPR will block the OTA and the only way to get rid of SPR is to Flash a .sbf file which will wipe your phone.
  4. rda990

rda990 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    =/ I don't want to remove SPR,so the only way would be to "update" through recovery...but without wiping...is there an "update" option to do a regular update without wiping under recovery? (No not update.zip)

5. rda990

rda990 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    So i guess its not possible? :( yet?
  6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    You can try doing it without a wipe. If you go into a boot loop then you'll know that you have to wipe.
  7. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Why don't you make a backup, wipe, install ROM, then restore? Since you are rooted you could make backups many different ways, custom recovery, android commander (this is an application for your computer that is basically adb with a GUI), titanium backup, mybackup pro.... It doesn't take much time to restore the data, and usually without problems as well. Wiping at least eliminates that your data was the cause of whatever problem you may be having.
  8. rda990

rda990 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    What do I flash?the original 2.2 as an "update.zip"??or a 2.2 ROM?but I only find custom 2.2 ROMS (BB/chevy) not an original one.

I've tried that,when I flashed to BB v0.4 I made a titanium backup backup...when it came to restore not all programs restored,many were missing,and some didn't even work =/ I might try it again.but how would I backup other stuff??like bookmarks/history from the browser??alarm clocks(not that its a big deal) if I try to do that with titanium backup,it wouldn't work because the browser is from 2.0.1...and I would be restoring it into a 2.2 browser...

9. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +22
    A lot of the data now syncs with the Google cloud tied to your login. Your wallpaper, bookmarks, calendar, contacts, wifi settings, and some other stuff are all syncd with google (maybe your alarms). Your apps sync too, but a lot of people have trouble getting them to re-install themselves, also you will be missing the data for some of the apps.

With you coming from 2.01 I don't know if my exact method will work for you. I used this process to go from 2.01 and to go to 2.1 without issues, and from 2.1 to 2.2 without issues. Never from 2.01 > 2.2 directly. It should work in theory, but I don't know. You may want to see if someone else chimes in on why this wouldn't work.

Anyhow Cup's update procedure:

1. Download ROM and put it on SD card. I usually do this with my PC because it is much faster than my phone even when using wifi. But it doesn't matter, get update.zip onto SDcard and rename it if necessary.

2. Reboot into recovery.

3. Make a full backup of my current setup.

4. Wipe data and cache (factory reset), despite what people may say you should only need to do this once.

5. Install the ROM I am wanting to install (that I put on my SD card in step 1). Install Gapps if they are separate here too. You can mount your sdcard in SPRecovery to install multiple things in one pass.

6. Boot into the ROM. When I get into the ROM, I skip signing into things. I don't do anything but make sure I can make it to my home screen.

7. Reboot into recovery.

8. Advanced nandroid restore my data from my backup I made in step 3

9. Boot back into the ROM, make sure everything is spiffy. Use a few apps, Browser, a game, or something.

After that I install theme and kernel if I want. I actually do a test between each one. So I would install kernel, boot into the phone. Test. Reboot recovery and install theme....

Takes me about 15 minutes to do that entire process. The only thing this doesn't restore is apps in /system partition (usually apps or themed apps that came with the previous ROM). I pull them before I install the new ROM, and then push them back after I get back up and running.

Personally I don't mess with Titanium backup much anymore. I still have it, and still use it from time to time. But I mainly use it to back up a single app when I am hesitant about an update (bad comments). Like when Beautiful Widgets was having shaky updates a couple weeks ago, I backed up my working BW. Updated, then rolled back the update if I didn't like it. I do backup keep a non-nandroid backup of my apps every now and again, usually using Android Commander (PC app). I only do this for the same reason I use Titanium. An app updates and breaks, it makes it easier to just reinstall that one app than have to pull apart a nandroid backup (especially with yaffs and clockwork ).

E2A the reason some of your apps may not work is because they may not be updated to being Froyo compatible. Quite a few apps got broke in the 2.2 update, devs being a little slow to keep up with update, or maybe they are useless in Froyo due to Froyo having it's funcitonallity. Of course Titanium can just fail sometimes too haha.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010