Go ahead and get Droid 2, or wait for Droid 3?

TC_Mits

Reaction score
Update: Droid 3 is NOT 4G & may be delayed

Hey everyone! My name is Ashley and I'm new to the forums, as well as to Droids in general. I'm due for an upgrade with Verizon in May (my last time to get the "New Every Two" discount ... :'( tear) and have decided, after much research and asking many of my friends, that I really want to go with a Motorola Droid. My question is - should I go ahead and get the Droid 2, or wait for the Droid 3? I haven't been able to find any sort of release date for 3, but I just know that I'll be super angry if I buy 2 and a month later, here comes 3. At the same time, my LG EnV3 is from Satan, and I'm ready to get a phone that actually doesn't turn off in the middle of a text message. I didn't know if perhaps any of you knew when the Droid 3 was going to be released, or if any of you could just give me some advice. I'm looking at those two specifically because I really need a phone with a QWERTY keyboard. I really appreciate your anticipated help!

Here is another consideration for this discussion: What I need is a keyboard phone with 4G. If the 4G question is not important then it might be best to wait and get the Droid 3. Although, we now know it was left out of the most recent vzw flyer. That could mean additional delays are coming.

Motorola is having a lot of trouble, it seems, meshing 4G LTE with the dual core processors. There's a lot of talk on other forums about these problems. The consensus seems to be that it will take a while to work this out and that a really good 4G LTE phone with a keyboard is probably at least a year away. A really good 4G LTE phone with a dual core processor may take almost that long, they are saying.

The Droid 2G is a very good phone. People -- especially people that don't visit forums like this -- are going to get a 4G phone "because it's there" -- maybe an HTC TB or an LG Revolution, or a Samsung Charge (when they finally get it ready). Some of them will then have a perfectly good Droid 2 to get rid of. If, after this Thursday when (rumors say) vzw is releasing 2 or 3 new phones, including the 4G LTE LG Revolution, the Droid 3 picture gels, well and good. But if not, I'm going to look for a good used D2 and keep it until vzw has a really good Droid 'D4G' (or whatever) that is, a 4G phone with a keyboard that is worth using my ne2 for. Who knows, maybe by then 12mp cameras with 1080p video capture will be the latest standard!

Mandyy

Reaction score
If you MUST have a keyboard, wait for the Droid 3. I went through 3 Droid 2s in a week. I'm not saying its a bad phone, I probably just had a string of bad luck with them, but I won't buy another Motorola phone again because of that. I finally just got rid of it for the Incredible 2 last week. Not having a true keyboard really isn't terrible. Auto-correct helps a lot, haha.

Oowoon

Reaction score
D2s are cool. But I'd wait for a D3, since its supposedly coming soon.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums