Go ahead and get Droid 2, or wait for Droid 3?

Reaction score
Hey everyone! My name is Ashley and I'm new to the forums, as well as to Droids in general. I'm due for an upgrade with Verizon in May (my last time to get the "New Every Two" discount ... :'( tear) and have decided, after much research and asking many of my friends, that I really want to go with a Motorola Droid. My question is - should I go ahead and get the Droid 2, or wait for the Droid 3? I haven't been able to find any sort of release date for 3, but I just know that I'll be super angry if I buy 2 and a month later, here comes 3. At the same time, my LG EnV3 is from Satan, and I'm ready to get a phone that actually doesn't turn off in the middle of a text message. I didn't know if perhaps any of you knew when the Droid 3 was going to be released, or if any of you could just give me some advice. I'm looking at those two specifically because I really need a phone with a QWERTY keyboard. I really appreciate your anticipated help!

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I wouldn't waste a 2 year contract for the droid 2 at this stage. If I were you I would look for a droid on ebay or craigslist and then you won't have to deal with contract issues

droid doctor

Reaction score
I have a 2 and its great but I would wait for 3 I wouldnt was a 2 yr contract.

Reaction score
I also NEED a physical keyboard. I told myself "you don't need a physical keyboard" and I bought the droid x, I regretted it and returned it for the droid 2 instead.

My advice to you would be to definitely wait. The droid 2 is a good phone (I have it obviously) but the droid 3 will probably be coming out in july/august.

I wouldn't want to be stuck with a phone that's already a year old, if all I had to do was wait two-three months for the next best phone.

The rumored (keep in mind rumored, nobody knows for certain) specs for the droid 3:

Dual core 1 ghz(maybe 1.2)
Between 512-1gig ram
5-8 mp camera
Vga/1.3 mp front facing camera
4 inch screen
qHD display (960x540)
Gingerbread
Maybe 4g, but most likely will be 3g

If I were you, I'd wait the three months for the droid 3.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Last edited:

Zog

Reaction score
IMO, buy somethin cheap and save that 2yr. However, I love my droid 2 though ;-) if 4g dual core isn't a big deal to you, don't bother waiting. Your phone will still be pretty balla.

droid doctor

Reaction score
Buy another env3 for cheap and Activate it while those long months of waiting pass

azules9780

Reaction score
Definitely wait and buy some cheap piece of crap to hold you over until it's released. I mean almost anything you buy cheap will be better than your devil phone.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I have a droid 2 global and its fantastic. The qwerty keyboard feels pretty good to me and it easy to type with, the overall feel of the phone is pretty solid. The only downside to the phone imo is the battery life(but there are ways to improve your battery life).

Sent from my Droid 2 Global from a galaxy far far away...

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I might be wrong but the D2 is no longer for sale at VZW. Only the D2G AKA Droid 2 Global. No worries, pretty much the same phone. Better hardware, but at this time lack of avaliable roms(if that even matters to you). Of course you can use a D2 ROM with the use of the Romer tool posted here on the forums, and in the case of the Liberty Rom it is very stable and performs even better then it did out of the box, and this thing already performed great out of the box imo.

Some one suggested buying a D2 off ebay. Dont bother imo. Your going to be spending more then it would be worth to do the upgrade. It may still be cheaper to buy the D2 off ebay and buy the D3 at launch with contract, versus buying the D3 outright with out contract, but would still be more cost efficient/beneficial to fork out the extra cash for the D3 outright. I would no doubt find your cheapest option to hold you over until the D3 launch then get it for the contract price at launch.

Reaction score
I might be wrong but the D2 is no longer for sale at VZW. Only the D2G AKA Droid 2 Global. No worries, pretty much the same phone. Better hardware, but at this time lack of avaliable roms(if that even matters to you). Of course you can use a D2 ROM with the use of the Romer tool posted here on the forums, and in the case of the Liberty Rom it is very stable and performs even better then it did out of the box, and this thing already performed great out of the box imo.

Some one suggested buying a D2 off ebay. Dont bother imo. Your going to be spending more then it would be worth to do the upgrade. It may still be cheaper to buy the D2 off ebay and buy the D3 at launch with contract, versus buying the D3 outright with out contract, but would still be more cost efficient/beneficial to fork out the extra cash for the D3 outright. I would no doubt find your cheapest option to hold you over until the D3 launch then get it for the contract price at launch.

I might be wrong on this, but I'm 95% certain I read somewhere that the the d2 and d2g have identical specs, except for the gsm capabilities. The processors are supposedly identical, just that the one in the d2g has been overclocked at a stable speed (1.2)

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I might be wrong on this, but I'm 95% certain I read somewhere that the the d2 and d2g have identical specs, except for the gsm capabilities. The processors are supposedly identical, just that the one in the d2g has been overclocked at a stable speed (1.2)

Nope the CPU is different. Droid 2 has a 1 GHz TI OMAP3630 Droid 2 Global has a 1.2 GHz TI OMAP3640. Both are based on the ARM Cortex-A8 processor.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Nope the CPU is different. Droid 2 has a 1 GHz TI OMAP3630 Droid 2 Global has a 1.2 GHz TI OMAP3640. Both are based on the ARM Cortex-A8 processor.

Thank you for the correction.

kickyindahead

Reaction score
buy something cheap .. here in my area .. phones are going crazy on craigs list ... i love craigs list .. you can find awesome things there ... anyway .. check craigslist in your area . ya never know .. you might find something cheap. As for waiting for the d3 ... im patiently waiting as well. found a tbolt on craigslist in my area for 350 yesterday ... almost talked myself into it ... but i have to have a physical keyboard .. thats just my opinion

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
WAIT WAIT WAIT! Even though we dont fully know the specs of the D3, I really see no good thing about the D2. Its a nice design and a little faster, but not many ROMs support it.

I really think waiting it out for whatever comes in the future is the way to go. Deal with what you have and you'll be happier to be able to upgrade to something way better than the D2... IMO