G'Nex to RAZRr Maxx

kellygh5

Reaction score
and I am worried :blink:. The RMaxx isn't even here yet, and I'm already 2nd guessing my decision. I am on my 4th G'Nex, and Verizon offered a RAZR Maxx yesterday, along with a case & screen protectors, because I have consistantly had a problem with dropped data, calls, &/or audio. I need a reliable voice phone. When the G'Nex was working for me, I LOVED the phone. I tried the RAZR (in store) in January, and the width was too much. I also prefer ICS and zero bloat in comparison. I know the RMaxx has a great battery, but I'm hoping y'all can offer some reassurance! Many reviews (of course not all) favor G'Nex. Reviews are subjective to need, but I just want to be very happy with a phone I'm going to have for 2yrs. Who knows how long it will take for RMaxx to get ICS. Can I create folders on this phone? Has anyone else had a positive experience going from the G'Nex to RMaxx? Thanks so much for your time & input!

DocsDad

Reaction score
and I am worried :blink:. The RMaxx isn't even here yet, and I'm already 2nd guessing my decision. I am on my 4th G'Nex, and Verizon offered a RAZR Maxx yesterday, along with a case & screen protectors, because I have consistantly had a problem with dropped data, calls, &/or audio. I need a reliable voice phone. When the G'Nex was working for me, I LOVED the phone. I tried the RAZR (in store) in January, and the width was too much. I also prefer ICS and zero bloat in comparison. I know the RMaxx has a great battery, but I'm hoping y'all can offer some reassurance! Many reviews (of course not all) favor G'Nex. Reviews are subjective to need, but I just want to be very happy with a phone I'm going to have for 2yrs. Who knows how long it will take for RMaxx to get ICS. Can I create folders on this phone? Has anyone else had a positive experience going from the G'Nex to RMaxx? Thanks so much for your time & input!

My MAXX is flawless. It has an occasion delay when switching from 4G to 3G areas. Nothing to worry about in my opinion. GNex is great phone too but I have never regretted getting the RM. Its has bloatware but it can be hidden. Yes, folder can be created. I have no desire for the next greatest phone out there yet and feel this will easily be a 2 year device if not more. A solid device.

cece5702

Reaction score
I have had no problems with my RMaxx. Its solid with awesome durability. I dont know much about GNex but if your looking for a reliable smartphone with exceptional battery life, you can not go wrong with the RMaxx. :biggrin:

mike770

Reaction score
I too started with a GNex. It is a great phone but the horrible battery life and reception issues were to much to bare. I returned the GNex within a week and bought the Maxx. It is a great phone in its own right. It is a very stable phone and as I am sure you are aware the battery life in AMAZING. Also no receptions issues at all. Am I sad that the GNex had though issues..... Yes. Am I regretting the switch to the Maxx...... NO!

cbreze

Reaction score
Better radio(RF)(data) trumps everything imo. The ability for my maxx to pull down and hold onto a weaker signal is outstanding. A mobile device with dropped calls/data is not worth .02. No matter it has ICS or some great screen.The rest of it is fantastic as well. ICS is meh imho anyway and I won't even be loading it when available. Oh, and build quality? No Contest! Maxx is the winner!:biggrin:

shamus

Reaction score
I also just made the same switch. I need my phone for calls first, then the bells and whistles. The Gnex had it backwards there with call quality seriously lacking.
In fact, I bought my Maxx full retail out of anger when I got that fed up. And I received it three days ago. On the first charge I got 1 day and 18 hours. Can't beat that.

cece5702

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!! :).
I also just made the same switch. I need my phone for calls first, then the bells and whistles. The Gnex had it backwards there with call quality seriously lacking.
In fact, I bought my Maxx full retail out of anger when I got that fed up. And I received it three days ago. On the first charge I got 1 day and 18 hours. Can't beat that.

Anyone wanna buy a gnex?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of things I prefer about the Gnex over the Maxx...

#1 - Camera... The Gnex takes better pictures faster. The Razr can take excellent picture as well, but flash tends to wash things out more, and you have to work harder with the focus.

#2 - Screen... The Razr Maxx has a great screen, don't get me wrong. But man, seeing that warm SAMOLED in HD is really nice. But again, it's not like the Razr's screen is bad by any means, it's very nice as well (and honestly a little brighter).

#3 - Form Factor... Both are great... The Maxx actually feels better than the original Razr b/c it's a little thicker, in my opinion anyway. I prefer the width of the Gnex, though. But again, both are great. This one almost depends on the day for me.

That said...

- The Maxx does hold a more consistent signal - on 3G as well as 4G - and switches between the two pretty seamlessly. If you're in an area where 4G is strong all the time, it's probably not a noticeable difference. But if you're not, or if you travel, you'll probably notice it.

- Obviously there's the battery life.

- Software... As you know, the Gnex runs vanilla ICS, which is very smooth. But the Maxx is very smooth as well, and honestly a little less buggy since ICS is so new.

- Other factors...
  • If you're a tinkerer and like to hack/root/etc., then the Maxx won't have as much support as the Gnex - though it is rootable and has some dev support. Obviously the Gnex is an Android tinkerer's dream. But honestly, I'm at a point where I don't want to spend much time (if at all) doing that stuff, and out of the box, the Maxx provides more.
  • Motocast - it's nice... it's free, and it's well integrated in the Maxx's software. Install it on a computer or two, and you have quick/easy access to all your stuff everywhere.
  • Smart Actions - this can be replicated with apps like Tasker, but Smart Actions makes it pretty easy to set this stuff up - it's very nice.
  • Wifi tether without root - FoxFi
  • SD card... this is debatable, but I prefer having the sd card over having one big storage partition.
Basically, you can do a lot more with the Maxx out of the box, with less effort, and without rooting it, than you can with the Gnex.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Anyone wanna buy a gnex?

I know that was probably semi-joking, but we can't allow soliciting sales on the site. :)

Check out swappa.com or our sister site android.net (classified's section).

huskur

Reaction score
There are a couple of things I prefer about the Gnex over the Maxx...

#1 - Camera... The Gnex takes better pictures faster. The Razr can take excellent picture as well, but flash tends to wash things out more, and you have to work harder with the focus.

#2 - Screen... The Razr Maxx has a great screen, don't get me wrong. But man, seeing that warm SAMOLED in HD is really nice. But again, it's not like the Razr's screen is bad by any means, it's very nice as well (and honestly a little brighter).

#3 - Form Factor... Both are great... The Maxx actually feels better than the original Razr b/c it's a little thicker, in my opinion anyway. I prefer the width of the Gnex, though. But again, both are great. This one almost depends on the day for me.

That said...

- The Maxx does hold a more consistent signal - on 3G as well as 4G - and switches between the two pretty seamlessly. If you're in an area where 4G is strong all the time, it's probably not a noticeable difference. But if you're not, or if you travel, you'll probably notice it.

- Obviously there's the battery life.

- Software... As you know, the Gnex runs vanilla ICS, which is very smooth. But the Maxx is very smooth as well, and honestly a little less buggy since ICS is so new.

- Other factors...
  • If you're a tinkerer and like to hack/root/etc., then the Maxx won't have as much support as the Gnex - though it is rootable and has some dev support. Obviously the Gnex is an Android tinkerer's dream. But honestly, I'm at a point where I don't want to spend much time (if at all) doing that stuff, and out of the box, the Maxx provides more.
  • Motocast - it's nice... it's free, and it's well integrated in the Maxx's software. Install it on a computer or two, and you have quick/easy access to all your stuff everywhere.
  • Smart Actions - this can be replicated with apps like Tasker, but Smart Actions makes it pretty easy to set this stuff up - it's very nice.
  • Wifi tether without root - FoxFi
  • SD card... this is debatable, but I prefer having the sd card over having one big storage partition.
Basically, you can do a lot more with the Maxx out of the box, with less effort, and without rooting it, than you can with the Gnex.

Well written! Couldn't have said it better myself.

With my D1 I would do everything but i don't have the time for it anymore either. (twins will do that to ya)

shamus

Reaction score
I know that was probably semi-joking, but we can't allow soliciting sales on the site. :)

Check out swappa.com or our sister site android.net (classified's section).

Lol I know. I was just kidding. It's already on swappa:)

And I agree 100% with what you said except for the camera. My Razr seems to take much better pictures than my nexus did. The Gnex was definitely faster but for me that didn't really help. I know I read every single review about the camera before I switched and they all seemed to go both ways.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol I know. I was just kidding. It's already on swappa:)

And I agree 100% with what you said except for the camera. My Razr seems to take much better pictures than my nexus did. The Gnex was definitely faster but for me that didn't really help. I know I read every single review about the camera before I switched and they all seemed to go both ways.

Yeah the camera is weird. The Razr takes better outdoor/well-lit pictures in my opinion. I think if you're in a well lit situation, having the high megapixels actually helps, all else (relatively) equal. If it gets a focus, it can move really quick, too. But man, those low-light/indoor situations, the Razr's flash seems to wash everything out - depending on distance, etc. The Gnex can as well, but seemed to keep a warmer, more crisp feel to it.

But who the heck knows... as you said, so many reviews/opinions go both ways.

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Well setting all of that aside and accepting the Razr Maxx as it is the best feature for me is the fact I can now go a full day on a single battery charge without locating the nearest A/C outlet, carrying 2 batteries or having my car charger within an arms length at all times. This phone is the real deal from a battery perspective. It's what all other 3G/4g phones wish they had. I have been unable to kill this phone on a normal 16 hour day. Plug it into the charger at 11:30pm and remove it at 6:30am and nothing for the rest of the day.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well setting all of that aside and accepting the Razr Maxx as it is the best feature for me is the fact I can now go a full day on a single battery charge without locating the nearest A/C outlet, carrying 2 batteries or having my car charger within an arms length at all times. This phone is the real deal from a battery perspective. It's what all other 3G/4g phones wish they had. I have been unable to kill this phone on a normal 16 hour day. Plug it into the charger at 11:30pm and remove it at 6:30am and nothing for the rest of the day.

Something that most Android phones, 4G and 3G, haven't experienced in a long time...

Though that silly Gnex has me hooked on it's look and feel... :hail:

Andielyn

Reaction score
I tried the RAZR (in store) in January, and the width was too much.

At first the width seemed a little too much for me, too, especially since I'm a woman and don't have gigantic hands but I'll tell ya, after a VERY short while this baby felt right at home in my hand. There's something about the size/thickness ratio that has a perfect balanced feel to it and anything else now feels small and clunky to me. So while initially it's wideness was "something I could easily live with" now I wouldn't ever want anything else!