gnex or Note2

SwagTech

Reaction score
I'm thinking really hard about getting the Note 2. I love my nexus, but I hate the reception that I get at work. Im on Verizon. If it wasn't for rooting, I probably would have dumped my gnex for the S3. Anyone else thinking about the Note ??

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I will definitely flash these tonight. Thank you for the link!!
Np. I hope you get some improvement. I live in a strong 4g area, but even on campus I'm getting 4g where I normally didn't. I just can't believe how weak the radios were before

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I am not sold on the Note 2. Everything is just marginal upgrades of the GN, much like the SGS3. Most users probably wouldn't be able to notice a difference in the processor or memory. It doesn't have a game changing feature that I would want/need to do that my GN can't achieve. So is it worth $200, or more, than what the GN is worth? Not to me. Also there are still a lot of unknowns. Will Verizon get it? When will they get it? Will it be gimped in some way?

What I am more interested in though, is what some of the other manufacturers have up their sleeve. There is a 5" HTC device that is rumored to be around 1080p, Mystery HTC Android phone surfaces, is it bound for Verizon? | The Verge . As a rooter, I don't know if I can get an HTC device on Verizon, but a 5" 1080p display on a phone sounds fantastic. Also, it is getting close to time for the Nexus 4, or whatever it will be called, to come out. Perhaps that device will be a game changer.

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
cupfulloflol said:
I am not sold on the Note 2. Everything is just marginal upgrades of the GN, much like the SGS3. Most users probably wouldn't be able to notice a difference in the processor or memory. It doesn't have a game changing feature that I would want/need to do that my GN can't achieve. So is it worth $200, or more, than what the GN is worth? Not to me. Also there are still a lot of unknowns. Will Verizon get it? When will they get it? Will it be gimped in some way?

What I am more interested in though, is what some of the other manufacturers have up their sleeve. There is a 5" HTC device that is rumored to be around 1080p, Mystery HTC Android phone surfaces, is it bound for Verizon? | The Verge . As a rooter, I don't know if I can get an HTC device on Verizon, but a 5" 1080p display on a phone sounds fantastic. Also, it is getting close to time for the Nexus 4, or whatever it will be called, to come out. Perhaps that device will be a game changer.

That sounds interesting to say the least. I agree that it may not be worth the rumored $600+ off contract. I guess I'm just in the mood for a new gadget. The Gnex is still my favorite though.

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
dezymond said:
Flash those radios?

Yep, I flashed them last night. I won't be able to notice a difference until I return to work only because I'm in a strong 4g area. An area that has Google Fiber first( had to mention that lol). However at work, I can barely get a 3g signal inside the building and their Wi-Fi is extremely weak. Which is crazy because we receive discounts for Verizon and Sprint, you would think the signal would be stronger. I really hope it works and if so, I will keep this phone until the next nexus comes out.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yep, I flashed them last night. I won't be able to notice a difference until I return to work only because I'm in a strong 4g area. An area that has Google Fiber first( had to mention that lol). However at work, I can barely get a 3g signal inside the building and their Wi-Fi is extremely weak. Which is crazy because we receive discounts for Verizon and Sprint, you would think the signal would be stronger. I really hope it works and if so, I will keep this phone until the next nexus comes out.
oh you lucky dog, I'm going to be jealous.

Maybe you guys receive discounts because of the weak signal :D

thesandman00

Reaction score
Np. I hope you get some improvement. I live in a strong 4g area, but even on campus I'm getting 4g where I normally didn't. I just can't believe how weak the radios were before

They're really that much of an improvement hey? I flashed them earlier today and am at my parents' house where there was previously little to no signal and it seems to be holding one consistently. It'll be interesting to see what happens Monday at work, since I'm in a strong 4G area, but couldn't keep a 4G signal at my desk.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
They're really that much of an improvement hey? I flashed them earlier today and am at my parents' house where there was previously little to no signal and it seems to be holding one consistently. It'll be interesting to see what happens Monday at work, since I'm in a strong 4G area, but couldn't keep a 4G signal at my desk.
I've noticed quite an improvement. I actually get a signal at the dog park I go to now. Before I used to get no data with maybe one bar of phone signal, now I get 1 or 2bars of 3g, quite the improvement if you ask me. Depending on where I stand at the park (it's pretty big and up in the mountains) I may drop signal, but for the most part I can at least receive a call and text messages.

I'll see later tonight when I go to my uncle's house where I usually get little to no signal despite the fact a Verizon store is literally 200yds away. The last radios got me a bit better signal, but with these radios I think it should be better.

Capone76

Reaction score
Since I've had the new radios I've noticed that I get only one bar 4g all day at my house then late at night it goes to steady 3bars 4g. Not sure what's up with that. Was a steady 2 or 3 bars before new radios.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
Capone76 said:
Since I've had the new radios I've noticed that I get only one bar 4g all day at my house then late at night it goes to steady 3bars 4g. Not sure what's up with that. Was a steady 2 or 3 bars before new radios.

I'm having issues too. I'm getting full bars as usual with 4g but the speed test is extremely slow and 3g bars are low. I'm about to flash a ROM and go back to the previous radios. My battery is also draining like crazy.

Capone76

Reaction score
I was having battery issues as well. I switched from trinity to franco milestone 5 and it helped some. It seems I can hardly ever give my phone a rest though. Maybe try switching kernel first.

Capone76

Reaction score
I wonder if using the radios without the official build reflects on these issues. I know what your saying about the speed tests. 3or 4 bars of 4g and the speeds are still slow.