GNex/ "Mind of its own" Bugging issue?

cebosound

Reaction score
When I got this phone from BestBuy I noticed some issues while starting the phone (logging into google,etc). It was like the phone had a mind of its own, random buttons were being pushed by themselves, the screen was unresponsive at times. I showed the sales rep, she told me that the issues should resolve as I get the update and reboot phone, but if the issue persists just bring the phone back and they will replace it with a brand new one.

I was in a hurry (like they were) because it was Christmas eve, and had to go meet up with family. So I thought I would play with the phone, see if the issues are resolved, and if not, just bring it back in a few days.

So, once I was home, after meeting family etc, and had some time to play with my new phone, i started trying to solve the issue. I found that all of my apps from my "rooted and romd" bionic came through with google stuff. THis included Superuser, and some others. I proceded to uninstall all the extra apps thinking that these are part of the reason. This wasn't easy because the phone was going into menus and buttons appeared to be selected on their own, so I was rebooting the phone during this process and it gave me a window of opportunity before the bugging started. I also did the Software Update at this time.

After I removed all the "stuff" i didn't need. I rebooted and the phone seemed to be fine. In fact it had been fine for a few days, then all of a sudden it started happening again yesterday. I pulled the battery and everything booted up fine with out an issue. Since that one time it re=occured, I haven't seen the issue at all.

Now my thoughts are the phone has an inherent issue and will need to be returned soon while i can get a replacement. So i have avoided rooting, unlocking , etc.

My question: Have you guys heard of these issues with NExus. Am I in the clear? Would the superuser etc affect the phone this way? I would like to keep it and not mess with taking it back, but part of me feels like i got a lemon and need to replace it.

What do you guys think? ... Sorry for the novel ... Thanks.

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad screen digitizer problem
could be. is that a hardware issue?

i am keeping myself from rooting my phone, because I am thinking I will take the phone back. but when the phone is performing fine 99% of the time, since the initial issue. i think maybe it will be ok.

captdroid

Reaction score
could be. is that a hardware issue?

i am keeping myself from rooting my phone, because I am thinking I will take the phone back. but when the phone is performing fine 99% of the time, since the initial issue. i think maybe it will be ok.

Yes sir the digitizer is part of the screen

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it.

Now do u think this is something that will continue to poke its ugly head... or will it settle in and work itself out. ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

rjcapp

Reaction score
Digitizer my a$$.
I've seen this once.
Make sure you have the latest update?
Do a factory reset.
Get a replacement now.
If you have to have the GN:
Wait for the next update!!!!!
That's what I'm doing...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

MrKleen

Reaction score
If it were mine I would do a factory data reset before doing much else.

gibsonlp223

Reaction score
REPLACEMENT. NOW. It's a hardware issue, and a nasty one at that. I had the same thing happen to my OG, at first it only does it every once in a while but then it does it all the time, making your phone unusable. I REPEAT. REPLACEMENT. NOW.

gibsonlp223

Reaction score
If he factory resets the problem might go away, but it'll eventually rear its ugly head again. trust me.

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
Okay. Thanks guys. I will be heading to best buy on sunday (my day off) and I will swap it out for a new one.

No point in worrying about it down the road.

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
my nexus has NO ISSUES whatsoever.. lovin' it so far :)
hi jung. i am glad your nexus is working great w/o issues. .. mine has been working great also. i just want to avoid a future issue. :)

Reaction score
When I got this phone from BestBuy I noticed some issues while starting the phone (logging into google,etc). It was like the phone had a mind of its own, random buttons were being pushed by themselves, the screen was unresponsive at times. I showed the sales rep, she told me that the issues should resolve as I get the update and reboot phone, but if the issue persists just bring the phone back and they will replace it with a brand new one.

I was in a hurry (like they were) because it was Christmas eve, and had to go meet up with family. So I thought I would play with the phone, see if the issues are resolved, and if not, just bring it back in a few days.

So, once I was home, after meeting family etc, and had some time to play with my new phone, i started trying to solve the issue. I found that all of my apps from my "rooted and romd" bionic came through with google stuff. THis included Superuser, and some others. I proceded to uninstall all the extra apps thinking that these are part of the reason. This wasn't easy because the phone was going into menus and buttons appeared to be selected on their own, so I was rebooting the phone during this process and it gave me a window of opportunity before the bugging started. I also did the Software Update at this time.

After I removed all the "stuff" i didn't need. I rebooted and the phone seemed to be fine. In fact it had been fine for a few days, then all of a sudden it started happening again yesterday. I pulled the battery and everything booted up fine with out an issue. Since that one time it re=occured, I haven't seen the issue at all.

Now my thoughts are the phone has an inherent issue and will need to be returned soon while i can get a replacement. So i have avoided rooting, unlocking , etc.

My question: Have you guys heard of these issues with NExus. Am I in the clear? Would the superuser etc affect the phone this way? I would like to keep it and not mess with taking it back, but part of me feels like i got a lemon and need to replace it.

What do you guys think? ... Sorry for the novel ... Thanks.

been the case with my last 3 android phones. welcome to android.